Thread: Random Bedwetting

Default Random Bedwetting

Hi everyone. So I've been wetting the bed on and off for over two years now. I used to have wetting issues (both day and night) when I was younger, especially if I found something particularly hilarious. Also about two years ago I went through an extremely rough patch where everything in my life just seemed to go wrong, so wrong that it's a bit too upsetting to talk about here; imagine some of the worst things that happen in life and you kind of get the picture. Shortly after this time I started to wet the bed.

I'm pretty certain that this is stress/ depression related but at the same time it could be an onset of secondary enurisis. My reasons for thinking this are that there are no patterns or consistencies when I wet. I have been completely drunk, having drunk well over 10 pints of beer and not wet the bed and I've also not drunk much fluids at all and soaked the bed.

The one thing I am sure about is that when I go to bed, I often get dark thoughts and become afraid of all the bad things in the world, disease, failure, nuclear bombs, my future in this recession ridden economy etc etc.

So here I am, an on/ off bedwetter of the past two years, of which I've been in nappies almost every night. I've also had some very near accidents since I started wetting and a few incidents where I've not made it to the toilet at all. The thing which confuses me is that it comes and goes in waves, for example I've been dry for about 2 weeks after Xmas but three nights ago it started again and I haven't been dry since

I have an appointment with the local NHS Incontinence Service in a few weeks so I will see what they can do but based on my experience I'm not sure whether they can and this could all be a very embarrassing waste of time.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences to this? Thanks for reading

Firstly try not to worry too much - You are lucky to have a fairly quick appointment with the incontinence service and there is no need to fear embarrassment as they are professional and take a interest in helping people with just the kind of problems you describe. If you have not been asked to already it might help if you take along a diary with as much detail of incidents/near misses as possible - if you record times/places (i.e. in bed/at home/on transport etc.) the amount leaked - often described in "cupful's" for simplicity and if appropriate how much warning you had before it happened. This kind of record helps give the adviser clues about the kind of therapeutic approach to take.

I don't think the appointment will be a waste of time either as the adviser will be able to help you adopt the best methods of coping and perhaps even point to tests or medication that your doctor could consider.

If things work out well you will end up feeling you have a confidential friend to help you through - which won't be a bad thing!

Red face

*HUGS*
    I can relate to what you are saying in many ways. Stress and worry make my bedwetting a LOT worse, but even though I often cut down my fluid intake during the day and evening I can still flood and soak the bed. I sometimes drink a lot and somehow stay dry overnight. I do often wake up between 2 and 3 am and go to the toilet but even with doing this I can be in a deep sleep between 6 and 8 am and still wet the bed. I do wear a nappy just about 24/7 now just as a precaution and because my faith in my bladder is just about zero.
    Try to remember this, If you can do something about a problem, then why worry about it ? because you can sort it out.
    If you can`t fix a problem then why worry about it anyway ? there is nothing you can do, you are waisting your time.
    Do not worry about the country the state of the economy and the world in general, ASK yourself this "will they be worrying about me?"
    You are doing the right thing by getting checked out, there could be a physical problem.
    In my case it is just a bad signal between my bladder and brain. Do I even have a brain ?

Thanks for replying guys and sorry for my late reply, I've been very busy recently and haven't had the time to sit down and write properly. Some very kind words of wisdom and support there which I will definitely take on board. Unfortunately I had to postpone my appointment with the continence service until April now due to other commitments. I will let you know how I get on once I go to see them. I'm not very hopeful though, even my other half has given up hope. She is very sweet and supportive of me though, which is a great help

I think it's too early to give up hope! What I have experienced is no way as traumatic as what you are telling us about. Even if you can't get a "cure" there are lots of things you can do to minimize the effect of the problem and although it sounds awful, after a while you adjust and managing incontinence becomes a part of your daily routine. It's great your other half is supportive - I had to learn that it wasn't fair to keep causing my partner to wake up in a puddle, or have to cope with the wet sheets several times a week. There are lots of conflicting accounts (here and elsewhere) about wearing protecting increasing the frequency of wetting - I can only say that for me accepting protection was a life saver - I could sleep without anxiety and the prospect of peeing in my sleep was no longer a major worry each evening. It was good not to have the alarm set to go off every two hours etc. in an attempt to get to the bathroom before the flood happened.

What was right for me will almost certainly not be right for you - but one way or the other you can get through this without IC becoming too dominant a factor in your life.

Good luck!

paul19

I can relate and I can tell you that you aren't alone. All that negativety that you experienced impacted you in a way that you may have not been familiar with. I experienced real depression episodes about a year ago and I started wetting the bed almost every night. And it got so bad to the point I Where I was wetting even when I was awake. Before I knew it I found myself diapered 24/7. What I reccomend for you is to find the source of depression, or if not depression the source of whatever negative issues you have experienced. I did the mistake of trying to forget about them and it worked for a while but it came back after only a few months. So after you do that find a way to make up for it. I knew I had confidence issues so i worked on that just an example. It's normal to have wetting accidents if you are going through a rough time.

funseeker

This is a difficult challenge. The uro doctors usually put the Kegals as an exercise on the top of my list. For me it seemed that I was doing the tighten exercises morning, noon, and night. I finally gave up. Best wishes to you as you work on this challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian85 View Post
    Hi everyone. So I've been wetting the bed on and off for over two years now. I used to have wetting issues (both day and night) when I was younger, especially if I found something particularly hilarious. Also about two years ago I went through an extremely rough patch where everything in my life just seemed to go wrong, so wrong that it's a bit too upsetting to talk about here; imagine some of the worst things that happen in life and you kind of get the picture. Shortly after this time I started to wet the bed.

I'm pretty certain that this is stress/ depression related but at the same time it could be an onset of secondary enurisis. My reasons for thinking this are that there are no patterns or consistencies when I wet. I have been completely drunk, having drunk well over 10 pints of beer and not wet the bed and I've also not drunk much fluids at all and soaked the bed.

The one thing I am sure about is that when I go to bed, I often get dark thoughts and become afraid of all the bad things in the world, disease, failure, nuclear bombs, my future in this recession ridden economy etc etc.

So here I am, an on/ off bedwetter of the past two years, of which I've been in nappies almost every night. I've also had some very near accidents since I started wetting and a few incidents where I've not made it to the toilet at all. The thing which confuses me is that it comes and goes in waves, for example I've been dry for about 2 weeks after Xmas but three nights ago it started again and I haven't been dry since

I have an appointment with the local NHS Incontinence Service in a few weeks so I will see what they can do but based on my experience I'm not sure whether they can and this could all be a very embarrassing waste of time.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences to this? Thanks for reading
    Bohemian, I have heard of people suffering from general anxiety disorder having similar issues, take that for what it is worth. I have intermittent bedwetting that I have found is associated with stress. It helped me to go to a psychologist to help with not only figuring this out but to help me cope with stress.

Keep us up to date on the doctor visit, OK? I's imagine they'll do much the same as here in the US. Vesicare (or some such) for a month to see if your muscles are causing it and a visit to a councillor.
    You don't seem worried about the problem, just the state of things you can't change. That's natural. My suggestion? Watch less TeeVee, listen to more music and read fantasy novels. The world will take care of itself. It's OK to ignore it once in a while.