Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA - What's your thoughts about this?

Exclamation English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA - What's your thoughts about this?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXUK-g-njFe5rZn-fCeDzeQdcVKuSph5ihC8Epvwv247ACCpsl

On January 18, 2012, in an unprecedented decision, the Wikipedia community has chosen to blackout the English version of Wikipedia for 24 hours, in protest against proposed legislation in the United States — the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives, and PROTECTIP (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate. If passed, this legislation will harm the free and open Internet and bring about new tools for censorship of international websites inside the United States.
    What do you guys think about this censorship and the liability for website owners? Also, this may adversely affect the economy:

It's been reported that, "This is exactly why venture capitalists have said en masse they won’t invest in online startups if PIPA and SOPA pass."

Wikipedia administrators confirmed this decision Monday afternoon (PST) in a public statement
    Wikipedia:SOPA initiative/Action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Press releases/English Wikipedia to go dark - Wikimedia Foundation

English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout - Wikimedia Foundation

please see this (closed) ADISC thread from November, 2011 for more relevant info: http://www.adisc.org/forum/computers...-urgent-2.html

also read more here:

How PIPA and SOPA Violate White House Principles Supporting Free Speech and Innovation

Over the weekend, the Obama administration issued a potentially game-changing statement on the blacklist bills, saying it would oppose PIPA and SOPA as written, and drew an important line in the sand by emphasizing that it “will not support” any bill “that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet."

(there's more to read)
    --------------------------------------------
    click here to read more: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/0...ng-free-speech

There's already a thread on congress censoring the internet. I'm all for Wikipedia making a statement. Some other larger sites such as Google are considering it. President Obama has said he will veto any bill congress passes to restrict free internet flow. The bills attempt to control piracy of protected work but they're going about it all wrong. There are standing laws which make it illegal to copy and sell copyrighted material without paying royalties. They simply need to be enforced. One of the biggest offenders is China, and we need to get tough with them, but making a black list of sites is not the answer. Congress is full of morons.

http://www.google.com/logos/2012/sopa12_hp.png

the latest Google information on this:

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/sopa-pipa/

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    There's already a thread on congress censoring the internet. I'm all for Wikipedia making a statement. Some other larger sites such as Google are considering it. President Obama has said he will veto any bill congress passes to restrict free internet flow. The bills attempt to control piracy of protected work but they're going about it all wrong. There are standing laws which make it illegal to copy and sell copyrighted material without paying royalties. They simply need to be enforced. One of the biggest offenders is China, and we need to get tough with them, but making a black list of sites is not the answer. Congress is full of morons.
    I agree DogBoy!

It's ashamed when one person (or company, example AIG, Fannie May or Citibank) screws up, how we all have to pay for it.
    Yet, if people have websites hosted on foreign servers (say in Nogeria or Mexico for example), I think they can do what they want!
    This is bad for e-commerce in America, and it won't impede hackers and scammers in China, Russia and Nigeria to name a few problem spots (where many are ripping people off with the internet).

WIKIPEDIA IS DOWN! OMG OMG OMG! *runs in circles and flails about*

Hehe, just kidding. :P It'll be interesting to see where this goes over the next few days/weeks.

I am not too happy about the Wikipedia thing right now as one of my favorite past-times is to read on there and study things as well on other sites. I understand the reasoning but why bother with it if it's not going to pass or be signed into law?

WildThing121675

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    I am not too happy about the Wikipedia thing right now as one of my favorite past-times is to read on there and study things as well on other sites. I understand the reasoning but why bother with it if it's not going to pass or be signed into law?

WildThing121675
    Because, quite frankly, if people who pay attention don't make a stink about bills like this, they get passed very quietly with little to no media coverage (as almost happened with the defense bill) and people don't realize they're fucked until after penetration.

I get the point for the blackout, WBDaddy and I am not touching the detention/defense bill to avoid a huge debate and flame war so I will concede right now and wave the white flag because I have more important to worry about; like finding a new home. All I know is this, people are aware of SOPA and I just hate that I have go 24 hours without reading and researching which is my favorite past-time online.

WildThing121675

With the amount of money "donated" to the supporting politicians, it is very likely to pass, and if not then it will just be re-introduced with even stronger support (this is the 3rd version in the past year). Oh, and this is unlikely to get significant coverage on television, because all the major TV networks are in support of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    (as almost happened with the defense bill)
    Almost? That indefinite detention thing is already law now.

I get the point for the blackout, WBDaddy and I am not touching the detention/defense bill to avoid a huge debate and flame war so I will concede right now and wave the white flag because I have more important to worry about; like finding a new home. All I know is this, people are aware of SOPA and I just hate that I have go 24 hours without reading and researching which is my favorite past-time online.

WildThing121675
    You can get around the blackout by disabling javascript.

I just came here to make a post about it haha, I'd never heard about them taking the site down, tried to do a search on an episode list to a tv show and BANG down for 24 hours.

I have read the faq and do now agree what they are doing.
    The faq explains it all.