Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United States of America: the new third world country for international corporations to exploit its resources and enslave its workers.

Default United States of America: the new third world country for international corporations to exploit its resources and enslave its workers.

Given the current political and economic climate in the US that has been created by both State and Federal Lawmakers, we are starting to see the "Proof of the Pudding" of the laws that seek to destroy labor union protections and give all Americans a "right to work".

This is just a taste of the future outcome of American Exceptionalism!

AllGov - News - Swedish Companies Take Advantage of Cheap Labor in U.S.

Swedish Companies Take Advantage of Cheap Labor in U.S.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012
    Ikea Factory in Danville, Virginia (photo: Steve Sheppard, AP)
    As far as some companies in Sweden are concerned, America is the land of corporate opportunity—and worker exploitation. So why not take advantage of a business culture that seeks every chance to increase profits at the expense of U.S. employees.

In Virginia, furniture giant Ikea set up a manufacturing plant after it convinced the town of Danville to provide $12 million in tax breaks. It then brought in a “union-busting outfit to keep the IAM (International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers) from making a run at the employees,” writes David Macaray at Huffington Post.

Ikea also cut employee wages and changed work and overtime rules.

“Needless to say, these measures not only would have been frowned upon by Swedish society, they would've been illegal,” adds Macaray. “They would have been in violation of Sweden's federal labor laws.”

In July 2011, the Danville Ikea workers did vote to unionize.

A similar problem arose in Kentucky, where AAK (AahusKarishamn) purchased an oils and fats processing plant in Louisville from Golden Brands. Shortly after taking over, AAK tried to force workers to decertify their union. The employees refused. Then management tried to arm-twist workers into accepting a new contract that wasn’t to their advantage.

German companies have also taken advantage of non-unionized U.S. states. In Germany the average hourly wage for auto workers is $67.14. However, employees at the new Volkswagen assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, earn $14.50 an hour and those at the BMW plant in Spartanburg, South Carolina get $15 an hour.
    -Noel Brinkerhoff

Soon the US taxpayers will be strong-armed (by the politicians that are poised to profit from the legislation; either through their insider trading deals, future consulting/lobbying opportunities or by direct pay-offs) to build a pipeline across the US to the Texas gulf coast (Keystone).

That pipeline project (that threatens the aquifers used by 8 states) will deliver China’s oil from the Alberta shale oil and oil sand Oil fields to awaiting ships or to Refineries in the US that China may own considerable interests in. China has completed many multi-billion dollar deals to purchase Canadian land and oil resources since the 2000’s. Since the economic crash in 2008, China has been picking up valuable resources in bankruptcy sales in Canada for pennies on the dollar. When this oil is exploited it will not be coming to the US or will it remain in North America; it’s certainly going to China or to the highest bidder. We will still be paying a premium at the pump and will receive little of the promised jobs and prosperity for the US citizens in the Middle (now becoming Low income/Poverty) Class. So much for promises and subsequent corruption of our Legislators those that support "the job creators"!

Citations of news sources regarding Keystone and China's acquisition of these natural resources.

Butterfly Mage

Our country has been in freefall decline since Saint Ronny.

Reminds me of the days before the progressive era, at least in those days people were exploited by other Americans.

I happen to be just two hours North of Danville. The last factory left Danville a number of years ago. For years, Danville has been a ghost town. Despite your contention that workers are being exploited, some work is better than no work; in a healthy market, prices and salaries set themselves. As for Chattanooga, $14.50 an hour is above the median household income. I don't know anything about South Carolina except for Hilton Head and the only jobs there cater to tourism. The American Auto Industry and unions brought their own demise by paying salaries their sales could not support. If Germany can pay almost $70 an hour, then that's great for them. Personally, I would not drop $75,000 on a new Mercedes... but perhaps enough people around the world will, which allows them to pay their employees higher salaries. Just my two-cents. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Our country has been in freefall decline since Saint Ronny.
    Ronald Reagan: Worst president since Herbert Hoover. To Alphacore's point, at the end of the Guided Age, we did have a glorious Progressive Era, and I agree that we're seeing the seeds for a new glorious progressive era being sown now.

littlepacifiergirl

I live in upstate New York. I know many people that would be glad to settle down in a $15/hour job, and would laugh if they read this article. Work is very hard to find here (manufacturing jobs don't exist) and quite frankly minimum wage isn't enough for some people to get by but it's a whole lot better than the current situation our state is in.

Honestly the real problem isn't that we aren't taxing the rich and the corporations enough, it's that we have thousands of loopholes where they can get away with paying next to nothing. The businesses that can't manage to get a lobbyist to put in their own loophole find themselves paying extremely high tax rates (in NY at least) and they go out of bushiness. Most politicians haven't even read our bloated tax code. It's un-American and completely goes against capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Ronald Reagan: Worst president since Herbert Hoover. To Alphacore's point, at the end of the Guided Age, we did have a glorious Progressive Era, and I agree that we're seeing the seeds for a new glorious progressive era being sown now.

^Agreed^ I don't think that it'll be much longer 'til things start to be turned upside down either. The bulk of people are going to soon realize how unfairly they are being compensated for their labor, and just how much the top is benefiting from the exploitation of the situation. When the productivity of the average American worker is up large percentages, and their compensation isn't climbing at the same rate, or even close to the same rate things need to be fixed.

I live one hour's drive north of Danville, Virginia. Yes, Virginia is a "Right to Work" state, which means you can't have labor unions which have the right to arbitration. As a result, as an Instructional Assistant to public schools, I make 15,000 a year, a rather small sum of money. I too am no supporter of Reagan and Reaganomics, which every economist has declared a farse. Nothing ever trickled down. Isn't it interesting that Fruit Gingrich keeps singing the praises of Reagen as if it was 1980. I suppose it still is for him in his withered brain.

In today's news, AP/WSET, they said that in the last 10 years, 4.5 million jobs matriculated to China, and since Obama, 3 million of those jobs have returned. Yes, we all work for less money, but it happened because we had to be competitive with slave, little girl labor in China and other 3rd world nations.

I hope that eventually, the scales will come into balance when nations like China, and their people, want the things they see Americans with. The internet is our friend because other nations can see us as we truly are, and when all things are taken into consideration, it ain't all bad.

My family moved to Lynchburg 30 years ago because the cost of living was so low. We were able to buy a 4 bedroom/ 2 fireplace house that a couple of teachers could afford. There are opportunities in the U. S., but you have to be willing to pick up and move. But life will never be the same because of foreign markets. It's a world market and we are competing with the rest of that world. Unions will have to make concessions and the 99 percent will have to sacrifice even more. The only group who will continue on as if nothing has changed will be the wealthy 1 percent. Business as usual!

To be fair, US based companies are just as good at exploiting workers in other countries. Right now workers at a Caterpillar locomotive plant in Ontario are locked out because they refused to take a pay cut that was greater than 50% from a company that is profitable while their biggest competitor (GE) is paying wages comparable to what Caterpillar was paying them before. Worker exploitation is nothing new or different.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered Rabbit View Post
    AllGov - News - Swedish Companies Take Advantage of Cheap Labor in U.S.

Swedish Companies Take Advantage of Cheap Labor in U.S.
    it's not like America doesn't take advantage of cheap labor. It's just a bit less obvious than this, because it's on a global level. But getting products made for cheap in China's sweatshops (think about Foxconn working for Apple and making those Apple products Americans enjoy) isn't much different. The worse joke is that China is more or less forced to give all the money they make from exploiting their people and selling products to the U.S. right back to the American government in government bonds, and the government will spend it in America and thus give it back to the American people, who will turn straight around and buy cheap China products again. So China really loses on this one as they're working for free. Sure, they end up with some government bonds, but let's face it: Sooner or later, they'll be worthess.

So there's always two sides of the story, and no country is exactly innocent.

Peachy