Thread: Fur suit Construction

Default Fur suit Construction

Well I've taken my first step to constructing a fur suit, and honestly, i'm a little nervous. I kind of wonder in the back of my head if i'll have the guts to go out and use it for one thing, and the other reason is because I am worried weather i'll be able to do a good job.
    Anyhow, I found a tutorial wiki page that has some pretty good instructions, some of which are a little more than i want to do. They had a good idea for the head though that i liked, although I am going to take a different route at it. They used a strip of aluminum to make the formation of the head, and then poly mesh. I have decided to just use wire mesh and skip the aluminum strips. It was cheaper on materials to just buy the wire mesh. It might have been a little softer for somebody to touch with the poly mesh, but i think it could have been too soft, and with the wire mesh i'll be able to put form into the structure of the head a lot easier. We'll see how it goes, do you guys have any thoughts on that?
    Also, i'm wondering if i should just settle for some short fur tiger print fabric that actually looks pretty good, or if I should go online and buy some long fur fabrics of solid colors and then sew in the markings. I'm a White bengal tiger, but that will all change if i settle for the fabric that is easy for me to get. Problem with the stuff at the store though, is i don't know if it will be enough.

So just kind of wondering because I did costume and prop construction for a theatre company for a short while... Do you have experience with sewing, crafting, sculpting etc? Or did you just kind of jump right into this? I'm simply curious to know, as someone with experience I've made plenty of ears and other accessories and yet I wouldn't take the jump to make a whole fursuit myself. The project itself intimidates me.

If you could make this kind of into a work/build log. I would be very interested in seeing your progress. I hope you all the best with your project!

Happy crafting!

I have also just started construction of a fursuit, I am making my head out of 20mm foam, I saw some tutorials on mesh but the foam construction looked easier and cheaper for what was available to me, so far it's going ok, but I wish I had gone with a thinner foam, 10mm or so.

Are you doing a full suit? I'm planning to just do a partial and maybe do a body section later on.

not done a head yet due to the lack of funds, and though i wouldnt dare do so until I've brushed up my skills, I'm hoping to get my own studio up and running in future.

So far I just make replacement parts, feet, handpaws,tails. its not as hard as it seems, if you can sew and know how to use a hot glue gun and electric knife without hurting yourself, theres a fair chance you can make a go of it

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    So just kind of wondering because I did costume and prop construction for a theatre company for a short while... Do you have experience with sewing, crafting, sculpting etc? Or did you just kind of jump right into this? I'm simply curious to know, as someone with experience I've made plenty of ears and other accessories and yet I wouldn't take the jump to make a whole fursuit myself. The project itself intimidates me.

If you could make this kind of into a work/build log. I would be very interested in seeing your progress. I hope you all the best with your project!

Happy crafting!
    I have a little sewing experience. Most of my crafting background is in ceramics, not so much sculpting, but I've made pottery for 3 years. I've also done some carpentry. So I have some background in the 3 dimensional arts, although fabrics, i would have liked a little more background, but i'm kind of headstrong when it comes to a project that i'm obsessed with. I'm trying to do this under the raydar of my parents, so it will go kind of slow, but we'll see how it goes. I do want to make a tail before i start sewing no the fur for the head.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

I just might do the work log, we'll see, thanks for the idea

If you go to livejournal under fursuit they have a lot on making them.I get a lot there.

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    If you go to livejournal under fursuit they have a lot on making them.I get a lot there.
    cool, thanks, that looks like a good resource

I always wanted to make one but I do t have the funds... Hope u have a time making one also the fur that I hear is top pick is from here MENDEL'S - LONGER FAKE FURS!

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    I always wanted to make one but I do t have the funds... Hope u have a time making one also the fur that I hear is top pick is from here MENDEL'S - LONGER FAKE FURS!
    Thanks, i'll have to check it out and compare with another site i found.