Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying diapers

Default Buying diapers

Today I tryed to buy diaper but damn I was to nervous
    I couldnt put myself to it this time
    See I've only did it once and I got lucky because i got them in this Mexican store Where the dude didn't know English but wow what a difficult task

How do you people go about buying diape???(especially younger people)

Should I ever need to buy diapers in the store, I always try not to think about it too much. My thought process is always: go to store, go to diaper isle, go to checkout line, then leave. I always found that if I thought about the "what if's" before going in, like what if someone I know sees me or what will the cashier think, then it only serves to make me worry more and make for a more stressful diaper run. But really a main strategy that has helped me in the past is form a reasonable sounding excuse. Not that I've ever when questioned why I'm purchasing diapers when at the pharmacy, but it's just nice to have "I'm on a family errand. My grandma's not feeling well and stuck in bed. So that's why I'm getting these." or "I'm shopping for my younger sibling (or cousin). Dad's far too busy to get to the store." on hand to shoot at someone. Also if you can get into the mindset of "yes, I am on an errand for someone else" then it becomes less of a burden on your mind. Least that's how I've been going about getting diapers at the store.

This is why I like ordering on the net, but if you drive, you could buy out of town. Just go into the store and be sure you take the time to get what you want, because once nervous, it's easy to not look carefully and pick up the wrong package. Once the item is in your hand, just say to hell with it (in your mind) and go to the register and buy it. If the store has a self checkout, you could use that.

I've bought Goodnites a number of times at our local Walmart, and cleary they're not for me. Once, a male customer standing behind me started to laugh (what a jerk), but I bought them anyway. Just remember, you're a better person than anyone who would think adversely of you.

When my only real option was buying from a store (e.g. in college), I would always drive out to a supermarket on the other end of town (a fairly large metro area). I would go at the end of the day, right before they closed, minimizing the amount of people I could run into. Finally, I made sure initially it was a spot that had self-check out that was kept active until the end of store hours. That last bit is key since on a few occasions, at other stores, I came to find that the self check-out systems were closed outside of the daily rush.

Other than that, it takes courage and self-confidence. I have also purchased at Walgreens, which is a much more personal ordeal. You are face to face with the checker and a line right up behind you. However, that was after I was pretty used to it.

Basically, you have to keep repeating a few mantras: "This isn't illegal...", "The checker really doesn't care...", "These could be for someone else...". However, at the end of it all, you just have to realize: it's not their business and you aren't hurting anyone. There is no easy way around buying in-person. It just takes getting used to it and learning to not care what others think.

Good luck! ^^

agreed with going to the pharmacy. No one will question why you are buying them - and if someone does, they shouldn't be working there.

End of the day --> or a 24 hour pharmacy is always a good idea, go in later hours and check out at the pharmacy.

In the end most people don't really pay attention to someone buying diapers, its not that big of a deal.

It's true, I've bought from the store more times then I can remember and it doesn't even phase me anymore. If you're buying baby diapers, no one will look twice at you. If it's goodnites, people might think they are for you but most store staff should be too professional too say anything. Can't do anything about morons in the store but look at it this way, you'll never see them again.

My best advice is bur from medical supply store. The staff are professionals who will never say anything and they usually have the best quality adult diapers anyway.

The fact that adult diapers are stocked by a store means they must sell them. That means you're not the only person buying them so the assistants will probably not be the least bit interested.

Although I always thought late-night diapers runs would attract more attention. Less people in the store, staff maybe a bit bored, unusual thing to buy at night and so on. Maybe that's just me though

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    This is why I like ordering on the net, but if you drive, you could buy out of town. Just go into the store and be sure you take the time to get what you want, because once nervous, it's easy to not look carefully and pick up the wrong package. Once the item is in your hand, just say to hell with it (in your mind) and go to the register and buy it. If the store has a self checkout, you could use that.

I've bought Goodnites a number of times at our local Walmart, and cleary they're not for me. Once, a male customer standing behind me started to laugh (what a jerk), but I bought them anyway. Just remember, you're a better person than anyone who would think adversely of you.
    I was thinking about getting off the net
    It a lot more discreet I'm just waiting for my mom to give me my credit card (bambinos seem cool )
    It sucks because it's like the only stores around me that sells adult sized diapers is daune read and
    Rite aid and those store alwayyy seem to be alive with people

Wow thanks this is the first time
    I've spoke to others about this
    I'm just amazed that there's others out there

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

You people really have balls lol I'm going to give it a shot Thanks for the advice

I have been buying them for 40 years and no one cares.

Only twice has anything came up.
    Once some lady ask me what was the best brand of adult diapers.

And the other time i got to the checkout and there was another guy there buying attends too.
    And about a month later i was reading the latest DPF newsletter and the same guys photo was in it.

I've your buying baby diapers no one thinks your are going to use for yourself. At least that's what I think.