Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why backdoor ammnesty for Illegals?

funseeker

Default Why backdoor ammnesty for Illegals?

With record unemployment in this county and 6 million less jobs in the last 3 years in th U.S. why are the immigration laws not being inforced?
    We even give illegals work permits. Could this be a vote getting tactic for 2012?

I'm pretty sure the reasoning for giving illegals work permits is for them to fill menial jobs that aren't being filled otherwise. AFAIK a green card doesn't allow you to vote in the US, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone

Not only that, in CA we now will pay for their college.

And yes, It VERY well could be a vote tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    With record unemployment in this county and 6 million less jobs in the last 3 years in th U.S. why are the immigration laws not being inforced?
    We even give illegals work permits. Could this be a vote getting tactic for 2012?
    Could also be a crop-picking tactic. Georgia passed a law recently to ensure crop pickers are in the country legally. A lot of farmers have crops rotting in the fields because the only people willing to pick crops at a wage that the crops can be sold profitably are illegal immigrants.

Also, exactly whose votes are being earned with this?

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I'm pretty sure the reasoning for giving illegals work permits is for them to fill menial jobs that aren't being filled otherwise. AFAIK a green card doesn't allow you to vote in the US, but I'm not sure.
    Correct.

Butterfly Mage

If an illegal alien is legalized through the use of a work visa, he/she starts paying income taxes and the employee's company pays payroll taxes. I'm all in favor of green cards. A work visa also keeps workers from being exploited by their employers. A person employed through the use of a work visa must be paid at least minimum wage and the employer must abide by OSHA standards.

This could very well be a vote getting tactic. There is more support for illegal workers in public opinion than you would think. I remember a few years ago, a city near where I used to live passed a law where they could enter a business any time they wanted and card the workers. Within two weeks there was a blue flu of all legal citizens of foreign ancestry. The entire city that I lived in was closed down. The only store within a twenty block radius that I could find open was an Indian ran liquor store. The day after the law was overturned in the courts.

SarahNuk

They are being enforced. It's just that they can't catch everyone. And, when people complain about 'unemployment' and 'immigrants' in the same breath, they often overlook the fact that none of them want the jobs taken by these immigrants. Some people may try to claim that they would take the jobs, but they would not. Anyone who can sit in an air conditioned room and say that has probably never worked in a field. I did, for a rather gratuitous sum, work on a corn project for a university. The work was hard, tiring, and put me in a... not depression, but a 'funk' to say the least.

To answer your question, of course it will be a topic for election. Immigration, unemployment, jobs, and everything in between. If there's something that a small portion of the American people feel, it will end up in a debate. For instance, Herman Cain's affairs. I, as a citizen, do not care one bit about a man's (or woman's) private life. If he (or she) is a good candidate, I don't care if he (or she) was Charles Manson's second in command. That being said, I doubt Charles Manson's associates would make good presidential runners.

Oh well. I'm not a politician.

Sarah

Peachy

Let's put it this way: Immigrants are willing to do the jobs the locals don't want to do, like moving lawns, garbage collection, cleaning, picking crops etc. It's the kind of jobs that require exhausting physical labor or have to be performed in annoying environments, or at times normal people wish to be at home/asleep.
    If the illegal immigrans don't do those jobs, they simply won't be done at all. So what's the point of throwing out the immigrant workers? No local will get a job by that. On the contrary...some local will benefit from exploiting cheap immigrant labor. Whether it's the farmer with his crop, the companies with a cheaply cleaned office or you personally by trash not being left by the curb or cheap produce. So no immigrant workers will put some locals out of a job.

There have been a few scientific studies on the impact of immigrant workers. You may want to read them before you paint that simplified "They're taking our job"-picture. Overall, they'll have a positive effect on the economy, even if in some few cases they've taken jobs that would otherwise be filled by locals. Remember: Jobs for illegal immigrants don'T show up in any statistics, so you'll have to think what kind of jobs can be done without the proper paperwork. Is that the kind of job you want to do?

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Let's put it this way: Immigrants are willing to do the jobs the locals don't want to do, like moving lawns, garbage collection, cleaning, picking crops etc. It's the kind of jobs that require exhausting physical labor or have to be performed in annoying environments, or at times normal people wish to be at home/asleep.
    If the illegal immigrans don't do those jobs, they simply won't be done at all. So what's the point of throwing out the immigrant workers? No local will get a job by that. On the contrary...some local will benefit from exploiting cheap immigrant labor. Whether it's the farmer with his crop, the companies with a cheaply cleaned office or you personally by trash not being left by the curb or cheap produce. So no immigrant workers will put some locals out of a job.

There have been a few scientific studies on the impact of immigrant workers. You may want to read them before you paint that simplified "They're taking our job"-picture. Overall, they'll have a positive effect on the economy, even if in some few cases they've taken jobs that would otherwise be filled by locals. Remember: Jobs for illegal immigrants don'T show up in any statistics, so you'll have to think what kind of jobs can be done without the proper paperwork. Is that the kind of job you want to do?

Peachy
    While your argument has merit, in application I've seen it personally to be otherwise. There was a job that I worked at twelve years ago in a local distribution center for women's clothing and other stores in malls. The employees were disgusted with the conditions and decided to invite in a union. The first tactic that the company used was to stop hiring anybody and only use temporary workers. That is how I got hired. After three years of negotiation, a contract was finally accepted that included that after three months a temporary worker had to be hired on. So what did the company do? They stopped using American temps and only used an Indonesian temp service that switched out its under the table illegal temp workers every three months. When the union was first called in the workforce was 100 percent American, by time the contract was signed, there were five of us, and when they finally were able to get rid of me because the union wrote this place off as a lost cause and didn't fight for my job there were only two non-Indonesian workers that weren't management.

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    funseeker,

May I suggest if you are going to reiterate things you find on the internet, that may or may not come from reliable news sources, that you provide a link to your source.

Also, if you could try to use some critical thinking skills to make some sort of determination if it is just an opinion from some individual's biased political blog, if it's some kind of editorial from a reliable and established journalist representing a major national or international newspaper, or if is it a legitimate news story with verifiable facts.

Now, I have the capacity to Google search the topic and make some sense of what you’re trying to post, so I can use my trained “crap detector” to check the facts. I usually do not care to be involved in a debate where I must gather all the pertinent information and basically just debate myself.

Many respected and established members have made significant contributions to this thread, fleshing out some kind of meaning from the original three sentence post.