Thread: Told my parents I'm a furry went really well.

Default Told my parents I'm a furry went really well.

I thought I would share my experience as it went way better than expected.

I told them of my trip to a furry convention while they were away and at first I distanced my self from it and used dissociative words like "they" and "them" so I wasnt quite associating myself with them yet. I showed them pictures of the furry walk and told them of what sort of stuff that happened there and how much fun it was.

Mum and Dad were taking it well so I told them I had joined an Australian furry forum and had found out about the meets and stuff that happen around the place (now that I think about it they didn't question how I found out about the convention, but anyway).

And finally I told them I had started constructing a fursuit, mum even offered to get her sowing machine fixed so I can Finnish it She seemed to think it looked pretty fun although she did also say, "it looks like a good way to get bashed." (referring to going to meets in a fursuit).

Dad didn't say much but he smiled and didn't have anything negative to add. To be honest I think if he was my age he would have been a possible furry.

Congrats

I heard MiDFur was fun. Also, "it looks like a good way to get bashed." Such an Aussie parent think to say XD

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    Congrats

I heard MiDFur was fun. Also, "it looks like a good way to get bashed." Such an Aussie parent think to say XD
    It would have been more fun had I not been there for only the last day but it was still fun and interesting. Definately going for the whole thing next time.

BabyChris

I have not told me parents yet, but my brother knows. He called me a freak and other names.
    Hoping it goes over better with my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyChris View Post
    I have not told me parents yet, but my brother knows. He called me a freak and other names.
    Hoping it goes over better with my parents.
    My brother said,"So you went to the living version of hell." but he was pretty biased because of the Internet. He does seem interested now though. But being older helps I guess, also he watches My Little Pony so he couldn't talk really.

I wish i had parents that easy only
    My girlfriend knows...and my younger brother...

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

I have never told my parents so far, i dont dare. I think they wil
    Send me to a doctor or something... So frustrating!

My father knows, and he's fairly fine with it. He doesn't really say anything, but has no problem with whatever it is that I want to do with my life, as long as it's legal and not harmful to me somehow. I should look into starting to go to meets in the city.

Glad it went down well, that's always good to hear.

I know right before leaving for AnthroCon 2011, I told my mom. She thought it was cool that I was interested in such a big community, and taking part in activities like that, so THAT went far better than I could have expected. I showed her the big, orange dragon tail that I made, and she gave me some tips on craft construction. Quite a good experience. I've since told my dad as well, and they've both seen my art (the SFW stuff, haha). Based on this, they seem to be genuinely accepting of it, even borderline actively interested, which is absolutely awesome.

Good on you! ^^ That takes a lot of guts! I know it's not something I could ever share with my parents. My mother-in-law knows, but she is very understanding, luckily.

You do bring up a good point, though. The more people find out about that side of me, the more I have hope that society is more tolerant than it's often painted. This holds true even for those folks who have more 'conservative' (meant in an apolitical sense) mannerisms. My experiences have been great, although it does still require some thoughtful consideration before revealing the big secret.

Again, well done! I am very happy for you! ^_^

Reading this makes me sad I have to be so closed about this side of me. But I'm very pleased it worked out for you