Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AirPlus or Original?

Default AirPlus or Original?

I'm probably going to buy another pack of abenas, but I don't know whether or not to get the original or the air plus. I've tried the originals and I like them, but maybe I would like the brethability of the non-plastic backed kind.

How do the air plus kind stand up in terms of leaks to the plastic backed? If they aren't too bad then I'll get them.

I don't think they leak any more or less as such but I do understand that if they're very wet they can 'weep' through the outer shell. Sort of like condensation I guess.

Unfortunately, cloth backed diapers come with a laundry list of problems by default, the Abena Air-Plus range is no exception.

They sag, stretch, weep, the tapes don't stick well, the tapes tend to slide across the back sheet, they smell worse sooner, the tapes separate from the wings, the backing separates where the tapes are stuck, the padding is less durable and breaks up easier, they chafe your legs, and worst of all, they chafe your "wedding vegetables".

I'm sure I've forgotten something in there, but those are all real issues with cloth backed diapers, that don't affect plastic backed diapers as much.

Quote Originally Posted by AbenaLeaf View Post
    Unfortunately, cloth backed diapers come with a laundry list of problems by default, the Abena Air-Plus range is no exception.

They sag, stretch, weep, the tapes don't stick well, the tapes tend to slide across the back sheet, they smell worse sooner, the tapes separate from the wings, the backing separates where the tapes are stuck, the padding is less durable and breaks up easier, they chafe your legs, and worst of all, they chafe your "wedding vegetables".

I'm sure I've forgotten something in there, but those are all real issues with cloth backed diapers, that don't affect plastic backed diapers as much.
    I agree whit you 100%

So if Abena do go 100% non plastic, what is the Abena loving DL like me to do?? Tena Maxi aren't half as good and neither is anything else on the market?? Although saying that, I wore an Abena M2 to work this morning, and by 11.30am it was soaked through, which I wasn't expecting!!

Quote Originally Posted by AbenaLeaf View Post

3rded, tapes were painful to me for the cloth backed in the past and my recent questions here it sound like they haven't changed.

IMO the padding in the cloth backed M4 seemed to stand up better than the rest of the nappy/diaper which from my experience is usually the opposite for most plastic backed products.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbus View Post
    So if Abena do go 100% non plastic, what is the Abena loving DL like me to do?? Tena Maxi aren't half as good and neither is anything else on the market?? Although saying that, I wore an Abena M2 to work this morning, and by 11.30am it was soaked through, which I wasn't expecting!!
    That's the question I've been asking. It worries me a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Redbus View Post
    Although saying that, I wore an Abena M2 to work this morning, and by 11.30am it was soaked through, which I wasn't expecting!!
    How could you not? The M2 is less than an inch thin folded up; it's a matter of physics

The M3 certainly has more staying power, in terms of wetting. So if you were disappointed, try them, or even Delta-Form M3's.

Well I did have a few problems with the air plus as they did tend to sag and the tapes loosend quite frequently. The good thing was that you could continue to re-adjust the tapes but I do like the plastic ones better. However, that is not to say that they aren't worth getting because even I might order another bag of the air plus for night time use. These diapers work great with plastic pants though

I prefer the regular plastic backed - unless I'm dealing with a diaper rash. The air-plus have stretchy-tapes - a noticable difference from the plastic ones, and I've had those get to loose on me and cause a wet (but not full) diaper to sag quite a bit. Air-plus also do seep a bit of moisture which causes the wet diaper to cool off faster (it sweats?) and can lead to dampish pants. When I've had a rash though, the air-plus do allow extra air to circulate which helps me clear it up faster than sticking with plastic-backed diapers. I'd say get a bag of them and see for your self. The absorbancy appears to be the same with each. And one more negative for the air-plus, they cost more.