Thread: Are Federal Employees Over-Paid?

funseeker

Default Are Federal Employees Over-Paid?

Saw an ad and job description for a Federal Invitation Coordinator. They pay between $53,500 and $102,900 with all the benefits. You would have to join the union but that means a job for life.

funseeker,

May I suggest if you are going to reiterate things you find on the internet, that may or may not come from reliable news sources, that you provide a link to your source.

Also, if you could try to use some critical thinking skills to make some sort of determination if it is just an opinion from some individual's biased political blog, if it's some kind of editorial from a reliable and established journalist representing a major national or international newspaper, or if is it a legitimate news story with verifiable facts.

Now, I have the capacity to Google search the topic and make some sense of what you’re trying to post, so I can use my trained “crap detector” to check the facts. The first article I read had a shovel full of someones opinion about the job listing. It did appear that they cut and pasted the actual Job listing from the Jobs USA site. There was absolutely no mention of it being a job for life (perhaps this was just your conjecture?)

What it did clearly state was that it was a temporary 12 month position (12 NTE) that MIGHT be extended to July 29, 2015.

The position was offered (open for 4 days Jan. 3, 2012 to Jan. 7, 2012).

Now I ask you, how many appointments and federal jobs were added to the roles after the creation of the Department of Homeland Security was formed in 2001? I would venture to guess tens if thousands. After checking the Federal Records it was 240,000+ employees and contractors as of July of 2011. Average starting salary: $42,209, with promotion potential from $89,033 to $115,742.

$89,033 X 240,000 X 1.3 = 27.778 Billion Dollars Annually

Source:

What I would suggest if you have the experience, education and training to fill such a vacancy is to go for it.

I might have the education, experience, capacity and training to tackle this or a similar Federal Job. but would never want to relocate to Wash. DC for such a position. You can be sure if I was considered, I would not start at the $102,900 salary, because I have never worked in the Federal System (Civil Service). I would start out as a probationary employee at the $53,500 annual salary. Which in Washington D.C. area would mean I could rent an apartment for me and my wife. The benefit package is not at all lavish for an individual with 7 years of college education and significant work experience. What you're looking at is a one year opportunity for someone young, capable, experienced and educated.

Here's a little math quiz for you. Go onto the USA Jobs website and look up as many Federal Jobs as you can find. Then take the total amount of all the salaries you find and divide them by that number to find an average of those positions.

Oh, as for my opinion regarding Federal employees being over-paid. My answer is no.
    Last edited by Diapered Rabbit; 09-Jan-2012 at 06:49.

As I am a federal employee, I'll give you a rundown of my qualifications, what I am expected to do, and then what I get paid. I'll let you determine if that is too much for a federal employee to make.

Degrees: Masters in Public Administration, Bachelors in Political Science, Bachelors in Broadcasting, Certification in International Relations and Law, Teaching Certification in TESOL Education.
    10 years I.T. experience, 5 years management experience, 3 years broadcasting experience, 2 years accounting and contract experience, and 10 years of customer service experience.

Administration duties:
    Maintain employee records, conduct employee interviews, manage calendars and event databases, conduct training, write standard operating procedures, train new employees, write grants, obtain grant funding, help improve government community relations

Accounting duties:
    Manage a multimillion dollar budget, process all credit card purchases, process all expenditures for contracts, reconcile income accounts, reconcile expenditure accounts, ensure all project accounts meet regulations and laws, train other budget employees on procedures and processes, maintain log entries for all expenditures, create and provide financial reports for management teams regularly, Maintain a reliable database of projected costs for each fiscal year

I.T. duties:
    Troubleshoot any and all computers on current network of 20 end users, manage the active directory and group policies, manage a sharepoint site, design graphics for various departments as needed, maintain a file server, perform all new system installs, maintain a secure network, eliminate security threats, research and purchase new equipment as needed, run all A/V equipment for multiple sites, wire fiber optics and copper for all new buildings and rehab projects, install switches and routers, install new servers, produce flash content for multimedia projects, and work with regional I.T. team to perform other duties as needed

Ranger duties:
    Deliver educational programs to school groups, international visitors, and other park visitors multiple times per day. Design, create, and distribute informational brochures, handouts, and pamphlets regularly, design interpretive programs to be used for special events regionally, provide educational guided hikes daily, collect statistics regarding visitor activities, collect statistical information about flora and fauna, provide first aid as needed, provide verbal information in multiple languages, collect fees, and execute remittance of income as necessary

Yeah, and I get paid about 31,000 per year (after locality adjustment) to do all of that, and contrary to popular belief not all federal employees (myself included) receive health benefits, retirement, or other benefits.

If that's too much for a federal employee to make please feel free to let me know.
    Most of us that work for the federal government do so because we want to serve our country. It's not just the military who serves the country, all federal employees do.

OP writes a three sentence post (full of inaccuracies) and does not return to the thread even though 17 hours have elapsed.

Even though likely not going to hear back, but I highly HIGHLY doubt federal workers are overpaid. For one thing, just looking at a title and the salary range is not going to prove if they are overpaid or underpaid. Why? Because you need to compare the job to something similar in the private sector, and compare its pay to that of the public sector job (and some cases you can't, as there isn't a similar job). Generally though, public sector workers are underpaid compared to those doing similar jobs in the private sector.

While I can't say with experience, but a general idea on why some of the people near the top (not counting politicians) of government seem inept, is the fact that if you are anything worth your salt at that level, you usually end up getting a much more lucrative offer from someone in the private sector (and likely go off to work for them). Now I'm sure there are some people up there who do stay, to work for the best of the country, but I'd imagine it is much rarer *shrugs*.

A quick and dirty (and thus not the best) example:
    A TSO (TSA's fancy name for a screener at the airport) last I looked makes up to $23,000 (rounded)
    A Private sector Security guard median salary is $30,000 (rounded). The bottom 10% of Security guards make $23,000, or the same as a TSO.

Butterfly Mage

CEOs are overpaid, not engineers in the employ of the Federal government.

50,000 is shit! Thats 30,000 take home and won't get you out of debt here in New England.
    So no.

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    Saw an ad and job description for a Federal Invitation Coordinator. They pay between $53,500 and $102,900 with all the benefits. You would have to join the union but that means a job for life.
    $53,000 is not a whole lot more the median household income. Also, the $102,900 probably includes benefits. This sounds perfectly reasonable for a government job.

$53,500 is likely the starting salary and you make more as progress through your job.

Source: How much does the Average American Make? Breaking Down the U.S. Household Income Numbers.

Anyway, funseeker, please stop posting these threads unless you use good grammar and cite your sources.

Just because you see something on the news or on the internet doesn't mean that you should just regurgitate it into the mature topics forum. It doesn't make you look smart or educated, and it doesn't help your reputation here on ADISC.

Quote Originally Posted by BandNerd View Post
    Anyway, funseeker, please stop posting these threads unless you use good grammar and cite your sources.

Just because you see something on the news or on the internet doesn't mean that you should just regurgitate it into the mature topics forum. It doesn't make you look smart or educated, and it doesn't help your reputation here on ADISC.
    Seconded.