Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did god come from?

Default Where did god come from?

I've been thinking, when I talk to friends who are very religious one of the arguements I get is that there is a god because everything in the universe had to come from somewhere. So where did god come from? Surely he must have come from somewhere as well, but I'm not versed in the bible which is why I'm asking whoever can answer.

According to the Bible, God has no beginning or end. God has always existed and always will. There are many things, once again, according to the Bible, that a regular person will never be able to understand prior to entering heaven. In a more philosophical sense, many see the proof to this theory in the existence of the words perfect and infinite. In their eyes, a mortal man/woman would never be able to comprehend that something without any faults or no beginning or end could exist without someone, or something, giving him/her the initial idea. Hope this clarifies

littlepacifiergirl

The Christian Explanation:
    God created himself and created the universe.

Anyways the idea that there must be god because where did everything come from is a completely wrong way to approach creation of the universe. First off, time and space was created with the universe, so there fore asking questions about "What was before" have no meaning.

Of course it's easier to think that there was a God who created everything because no matter how much one tries, it is impossible to picture an existence devoid of space and time.

Hmm... this is a good question, and a question that scientologists have been trying to answer for... well, ever. My own opinion is that it doesn't matter. God is there, and that's that ^_^

I imagine that God is a being from a higher plane of existence, or something like that.
    Think of how characters in a book would think of the author.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolf View Post
    I've been thinking, when I talk to friends who are very religious one of the arguements I get is that there is a god because everything in the universe had to come from somewhere. So where did god come from? Surely he must have come from somewhere as well, but I'm not versed in the bible which is why I'm asking whoever can answer.
    Genesis 3:19 - "For dust you are and to dust you will return"

The book of John begins: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. All things came by Him. According to the Bible, God always has been. He created us because he was lonely.

I think the mistake we make is in humanizing God. The Renaissance paintings show him as human. One can't define God or understand what God is. I personally think God is the everything. I believe that we are a small part of God. Biblically it makes sense. If we sin, God is saddened because we are a part of him. By sinning, we separate ourselves from that source, our creator.

Well if we are talking about the word (and not a particular god, which we are talking about a particular one but already thought this out so shush!), then it pretty much came from Mythology used to explain the unexplainable. I.E., where does the water in the river come from? Why did the crops die unexpectedly? etc. Granted, religion (and a god for that matter) can be used to instill fear over a population as a means to control them (like a lot of stuff).

As for God/Allah, it depends on who you ask really. The believer and non-believer answer has pretty much already been given here. I'm not studied on any religion so I can't tell you what the Torah, Qur’an, or Bible say about where God came from (other then what has been quoted here from the Bible). Personally, as a non-religious person (but not atheist) I lean towards the idea that God is a creation of man, same as the gods before him, but I can't really think of motivation for it off-hand, at least without an idea of the history of those regions during the time it first, at least, came up.

I'll take a cop-out answer and say we really don't know, and unless something drastic happened, will probably never know while we are living. We can't go back in time and find out, and I don't think we'll find a guy sitting on a cloud somewhere in deep space (or a cosmic entity signaling in binary). Now when we die, well we'll likely find out then, unless religions like Hinduism and Buddhism are right, then we'll just come back as someone or something else.