Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't fix my puppy :(

Default Can't fix my puppy :(

Some background; she is 1 1/2 years old, American Bulldog. 3 weeks ago on Friday she tried to jump onto my bed, as she had millions of times before, and missed.

I brought her into the vet a day after her accident. The vet said they hoped it was a partial tear in her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL.) The vet said it could get better with bedrest. I had her on almost 3 weeks of bed rest. Went back to the vet today and they confirmed it was actually a ruptured ACL and would need surgery to fix. To the tune of $1200. I'm so sad, depressed, despondent since learning this information. I have to fix her, she has so much life ahead of her. Problem is as a college student I can't afford it. The vet said she would be able to live without the surgery but the quality of life would be subpar. I don't know what to do, so thought I would come here and vent. She's my little girl, had her since she was 11 weeks old.

Thats is a very sad story man. Im so sorry. I dont know what I would do in your situatuion. Maybe try and get a loan or something. You have my condolences.

Did you look into a payment plan option? A place like that will be more than willing to work with you if their a reputable business who actually cares about what they do. I would look into that first and from there look into some business options. Why not discuss it with the heads at your college and see if there's a way you can do some small part time work to earn some money. Tax season is approaching as well, do you think you'll be getting anything back at all? Look around your place, sell some stuff. Hell I know people who make a small business out of watching limited poster/print drops and flipping em on ebay for a hell of a inflated price.

I can think of more but for now I think it's your turn to do what needs to be done. Don't think I can't sympathize either. When my pup was about four months old she had a pancreatitis infection from eating too much tree bark she kept digging up. The bill cost me a good $1,500. Let this also be a lesson, GET PET INSURANCE!

Good luck and keep us posted.

I never even thought of tax returns! I should get most if not all back...thanks for showing me a possible silver lining.

Hi kidcody07, I'm sorry to hear that. What's her name btw? I know this is kinda obvious but have you tried to ask your family or friends for a loan? It's the worse when our little ones get sick or injured but I think anyone with the least amount of heart will help you in no time.
    Considering the bedrest didn't help that much it's obvious you need to go for the surgery, I hope it won't leave much trauma. If anything else fails you could try a fast cash loan, even though the fluff around them, certainly helped me when Mike (my son) got sick. And if you're like me you will have no clue where to start with so I recommend checking Patricia's blog here , she gives out some really good pointers.

And yes, I agree with statik, you should get pet insurance ASAP.

funseeker

Sorry,
    There is nothing better than a baby puppy. I woud wrap puppy in a blanket and give as much love as possible and as long as possible.

Best Wishes

Penguinhop

I know people will absolutely hate me for what I am about to say. In my area, there is a store called, Petland. Apparently they are a puppy mill. People keep saying, "Boycott Petland!" They're bringing a filthy stinkin animal to the point of a human. Now I am a fan of cats. Whenever I tell this to people, they say,"what if they did that to cats?" I say, that's awesome, more cats in the world! Then i go back to saying it's an animal!!! THEIR LIFE IS IN NO WAY AS VALUABLE AS A HUMAN LIFE!!! Sure I'd be sad if my cat died... for two days.

Now my advice is, either put it down(because you can get another one for way less), or if you wanna take care of her, that's awesome. All in all, it's an animal and there's tons more like it. A human life is irreplaceable considering every person is completely and utterly unique in even the some obscure ways. A dog... well it's an animal, there's lots of em like it.

Please take in mind that I can be harsh and I will tell you how things are. I don't tell people what they want to hear. It's what America is all about now, makin people feel good. But that is another topic for another time.

Wow. Back to positive and helpful replies.

Tax season IS coming up, I don't know if you or she can wait that long. I could almost swear that places like PetsMart and other larger emergency vets have payment plans. If not, I don't know how you feel about credit cards but CitiBank is pretty easy to get on with. It was my first card way back when I started building credit. As long as you stay on top of the payment and try to oay more than the minimum, you should be alright.

When my dog of 20 years passed I had a lady cremate him and he now "lives" on my bookshelf in a biscuit jar. I know not all dogs are the same, I've never been able to replace my William. I also know how you feel about wanting to do the very best for her. I hope everything works out for you and the poor pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoftomo View Post
    I know people will absolutely hate me for what I am about to say. In my area, there is a store called, Petland. Apparently they are a puppy mill. People keep saying, "Boycott Petland!" They're bringing a filthy stinkin animal to the point of a human. Now I am a fan of cats. Whenever I tell this to people, they say,"what if they did that to cats?" I say, that's awesome, more cats in the world! Then i go back to saying it's an animal!!! THEIR LIFE IS IN NO WAY AS VALUABLE AS A HUMAN LIFE!!! Sure I'd be sad if my cat died... for two days.

Now my advice is, either put it down(because you can get another one for way less), or if you wanna take care of her, that's awesome. All in all, it's an animal and there's tons more like it. A human life is irreplaceable considering every person is completely and utterly unique in even the some obscure ways. A dog... well it's an animal, there's lots of em like it.

Please take in mind that I can be harsh and I will tell you how things are. I don't tell people what they want to hear. It's what America is all about now, makin people feel good. But that is another topic for another time.
    I'm having a hard time believing I just read that. Seriously? I feel sorry for you if that's really your whole outlook on this but I'm trying to take into consideration that you're only fourteen. No offense to any other fourteen year olds on here who would never share the same outlook as this. I can only hope, actually I take that back ..."WE" can only hope that you learn some common sympathy and respect later on in life.

All the furry critters who have come into my life at some point are no different than family to me. You may not think so but try to be a little more considerate to those of us who do.

One last thing, last I checked this forum is full of furries. The chances are pretty high that you're gonna offend every single one of them. I would start working on your apology if I were you.

You said at the start "I know people will absolutely hate me for what I am about to say." and yet you said it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoftomo View Post

This has got to be one the the most selfish posts Ive read in awhile. Having a pet is a lot more than just having a thing to keep you happy till its inconveniences you, it should be a companion and if anything a lesson in life that everything has merit and responsibility attached to it. When you buy a pet, you have an obligation to take of it, its more than a object to keep you happy. Someone that is willing to just throw all that away because of monetary reasons, in my opinion, shows signs of a sociopath.