Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare vinyl anybody?

Default Rare vinyl anybody?

I don't know how many people still listen to records but I certainly do. Me and my friend at school borrow each others records a lot to try new music. So, I just wanted to see if anybody had any rare albums. I personally have the original, banned cover of "Appetite for Destruction" by Guns N' Roses.

I grew up in the 6os so I have a lot of vinyl, early mono LPs, first issue covers with all their "art" and the like. If your Stickey fingers doesn't have a real zipper or Schools Out has a empty desk it is a rerelease.

Quote Originally Posted by sgbam42 View Post
    I don't know how many people still listen to records but I certainly do. Me and my friend at school borrow each others records a lot to try new music. So, I just wanted to see if anybody had any rare albums. I personally have the original, banned cover of "Appetite for Destruction" by Guns N' Roses.
    Bolded for being totally fantastic.

Started collecting records a few years ago with the intention of getting a record player eventually, and finally got one recently, so it's rpetty sweet. Just got Mastodon's Crack the Skye for Christmas on vinyl. I've also got Protest the Hero's album Fortress, and some more classic stuff like Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Spectres by Blue Oyster Cult, Lynyrd Skynyrd live, The Allman Brothers at Filmmore East and Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Figure if I ever get Sgt. Peppers and Led Zepplin IV I'll finally be able to justify experimenting with all sorts of drugs just to appreciate them all on a deeper level. Also, records sound much more better than CDs. It's just science.

I started collecting this year, and I have about 25 or so now. Nothing super rare, just stuff I like, but i'm going to hunt me down some Jimi Hendrix this year. I want to be able to appreciate it as if it were new.

Don't know if any of mine are exactly rare, but I have about 200 albums by various artists from the 1960's and 1970's, which I began collecting when I was 12. Most of them are in good shape, or were the last time I had a listen. Currently they reside in my garage along with my turntable and stereo, mainly the victims of modern technology (replaced by mp3 files). Perhaps when my youngest child is old enough that I don't have to worry about him destroying them I'll bring them back out for old times sake.

Supersam1223

I don't know how rare, but my dad has loads of records from the 70s onwards, including some special/limited editions.

I don't have anything rare (that I know of) but I do have a really cool iron maiden album, the disks don't have labels, they have an image imbedded in the vinyl that takes up the whole disk so that the grooves are over the top of it. I had never seen anything like it until I bought it.

It's great to know a lot of people still listen to vinyl. I have a lot of records, over 200. Most I got from my uncle who had a big record case with a bunch of old 50's and 40's music like Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, and Patsy Cline so some could be very rare but I don't know. I do have classic rock which is what I usually listen to like Pink Floyds "The Wall" and Dark Side, and a ton of Rush.

Of course at my age, I have lots of records, including Beatles from Revolver to the White Album. I also have a rarer LP of the Beatles songs which never made it on LPs. They were only 45s. I have all the original Jimmy Hendricks and all the early stones as well as early Bob Dylan. I used to have all the Cream until one of my albums got stolen in college. I punched the thief's front tooth out, by the way, for stealing and a few other things which I didn't like.

I also have the Beach Boys's "Pet Sounds" which is a great album along with the first Crosby, Stills and Nash. Included in this is the first two albums of The Doors as well as the first Led Zeppelin album.

Since it was the late sixties, none of these albums were listened to "on ground zero".

I have a lot of LPs that were given to me years ago, but no way to play them. Any recommendations for a high-quality turntable/cartridge that's easy on records for, say <$1500?