Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail to neighbor

Default Mail to neighbor

Ive seen some of the free sample (for diapers) pages and i was wondering if anyone believes there is any flaw in having them sent to the next door house, which is vacant due to forclosure. They have an infront, not locked mail box.

littlepacifiergirl

If the mailman sees the foreclosure sign they probably won't deliver mail . The former residents probably also had mail forwarding set up so it will probably go to them wherever they are.

If they're just free samples though I'd go for it, you got nothing to lose.

I have to agree with littlepacifiergirl. Whoever lived there would have had a stop mail order, and a forward order. They also would have given the postal service their new address. I'm afraid you'll have to think of a new plan.

Also keep in mind that taking mail from someone else's mailbox is considered a federal offence. While I highly doubt that anyone would bother to prosecute you for something as trivial as stealing a free pack of diapers from someone's mailbox, if you have nosy neighbors they might be watching and might decide to report you because they can.

Hey there, Fishonastick:

If you have a UPS Store or similar near you, just mail it there. I've now done this twice in the last two months with AB/DL related purchases and it's a cinch. All I do is order my diapers (or whatever) shipped to the UPS Store's address, but with my name on top. Then I email the UPS Store location and tell them that a package for <my real name> is coming. They then email or phone me when it's there. I go and pick it up from them for a $5 flat fee. It's brilliant. You don't even need to have a mailbox or any kind of service agreement with them.

Granted, that makes your "free" sample cost $5--it'll be better when you order whole packages of diapers--but still...

I love it.

Hey Cottontail, that's a great idea! I didn't know that you could do that without paying for a mailbox. That could be very special indeed.

Try it, don't stress.
    If you make up a name, it won't get forwarded by the post office. They will just assume "Bob Smith" (or whaterver you make up) now lives at that address.
    Yes, mail tampering is a Federal offense, but come on- it is not like you are stealing credit cards or something. Nothing is going to happen to you. Absolute worst case scenario: you go over to get your free sample, and an FBI helicopter swoops in with an "anti-mail-theft" strike team- you just tell them you were tired of seeing the junk mail pile up next door, and you wanted to clean it up. You are not going to get in trouble for cleaning litter up next to your house- realistic worst-case scenario: a cop drives by, and sees you. You give him the "litter" story, and he warns you that you are technically breaking the law. Try it! I actually think it is a pretty good idea, and a great opportunity for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishonastick View Post
    Ive seen some of the free sample (for diapers) pages and i was wondering if anyone believes there is any flaw in having them sent to the next door house, which is vacant due to forclosure. They have an infront, not locked mail box.
    Yes there is. That flaw is that drugs are often shipped in the same manner, and both delivery companies/USPS as well as your local police are well aware of this. Deliverymen/mailmen who see packages going to vacant homes will usually mention it to the local PD.