Thread: Cloth Diapers - A Few Questions

Default Cloth Diapers - A Few Questions

Ok, I've got a few questions that have probably already been asked before, but also a few that I haven't managed to find, about cloth diapers.

For one, how do they feel compared to disposables?

Two: Can they be handwashed? And if so, how easy would it be to handwash one unnoticed?

Three: Where can I find a cheap cloth diaper that also has good absorbency?

If anyone could answer these questions, I would be super grateful

1:The first major difference i felt when i switched to cloth is the swelling. Obviously cloth diapers dont swell so the thickness stays the same. Also its a lot easier to tell when you are wet because you can feel the wet cloth.
    2: Yes you can wash a cloth diaper but i would advise against it because it can be very difficult to make sure that is it completely clean and you risk leaving bad bacteria on the diaper.
    3:For some years i looked for a cheap absorbent cloth diaper. Finally i gave up and resolved to make my own. I know many people think it wouldn't be worth the effort but i can guarantee that you get a cheap diaper that is customized to your body and as thick as you like.
    ADISC has a number of articles about sewing in general which i found extremely usefel as well as one on contoured cloth diapers that i have used to make all of my cloth diapers and i highly recommend you consider it.

For one, how do they feel compared to disposables?
    For one, in most cases it takes a bit more cloth than disposable to achieve the same absorbency, so there's a huge bonus to cloth right there. Like slannen mentioned, cloth doesn't swell, but because you feel the wetness and the way cloth feels when wet, it can be exceptionally comfortable and enjoyable (IMO much moreso than disposables). Although cloth doesn't swell, it does loosen as it gets wet, so by the time you're ready for a change, your diaper will be sagging, no matter how tightly you pinned it initially (onesies are so much more awesome with cloth). There's also something different about how cloth absorbs versus how disposables absorb. I don't know how to describe it, but I think you'll enjoy it.

Two: Can they be handwashed? And if so, how easy would it be to handwash one unnoticed?
    Technically, you can handwash anything. If you were to do it, you'd want to get the water just as hot as you could (hot enough to scald you) and wash them in the sink or a bucket or something with only a slight bit of soap. You'd have to do that and then rinse well a couple of times to get them as clean as you could, since the compounds in urine eventually turn to things like ammonia that will disintegrate your diapers over time (and will make them feel like they're burning when you're wearing them). That said, washing them in a laundry machine will probably yield better results.

Three: Where can I find a cheap cloth diaper that also has good absorbency?
    I've heard some say that they're cheap, but the nicediaper/YunYun diapers are about as inexpensive as you'll get. I am a fan of the flat non-prefold squares from Adultclothdiaper.com, myself. They're inexpensive, and you can layer and fold to your own preference. Because they're thinner, they're also much much easier to get completely clean. The trick is that you combine several of them to make a thicker diaper.

I hope you give cloth a try. I'm a huge fan, and I think you'll enjoy them too.

I prefer cloth diapers, but if you have problems washing them in a washing machine, you may have problems drying them. I often have to run them twice in the dryer. I use the pre-fold, so maybe the flat cloth diapers would dry quicker.

Based on what you guys have posted I'm going to have to go with Disposables for a while... not so much the cost that's the issue at this point... but washing is a big big issue, because there is NO way I'll be able to use the washing machine without my parents freaking out and demanding to know what I did....

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFox View Post
    ... but washing is a big big issue, because there is NO way I'll be able to use the washing machine without my parents freaking out and demanding to know what I did....
    Well, if you're interested in *trying* cloth, it might not be a total deal-breaker, but yeah, not being able to easily use the washer and dryer is big setback to going all (or mostly) to cloth. My family still does not know that I like to wear diapers, and so when I recently got back into cloth (after a 20-year hiatus), I did so knowing that I'd only be able to actually use my cloth diapers at certain times, such as when my family is out of the house and I know I'll have time to do a wash. It means I still have plenty of disposable diapers around, yup! But it works for me.

As a kid (up to about 13 years old) I used the same old cloth baby diapers that I'd worn as a baby, which had been kept around as rags but were still in fine shape. Though I didn't often wet them, my parents would think nothing of it if one of them ended up in the laundry, and would just put it back in the rag box when it was clean (where I would go and get it ). Ah, the golden years!

funseeker

Agree enjoy your disposable diapers for now. Cloth is a real investment upfront and takes a lot of managment to wash and dry. You have a lot of time later in your life.