Thread: Georgia?

Default Georgia?

I was just going to ask a question for those of you who live in georgia (US)
    what's the climate like? i'm going to be moving there soon and i was wondering what i should be expecting.
    is it rainy, is it always hot, etc.

I live just north of Georgia. It is a pretty large state. For the most part it is pretty temperate. Cool to cold winters. Warm to hot summers. The spring and fall are very comfortable. It can be pretty humid and sticky, esp the further south you go. There is quite a bit of rain, not as much as in the north west (Washington State), but it is pretty often compared to the Southwest. Not a lot of snow in the winter, maybe a few inches here and there but almost never more than 6 inches and if it does accumulate, it does not stick around for long. I really like this area, becuase of the mountains around here, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are rare (compared to the midwest and plains). And we are far enough from the oceans for any hurricanes to die down before they make it here. And no majorly active fault lines nearby.

Other than that, there is some of the stereotypical red neck bigotry to worry about in this area, but it is not too bad in most 'civilized' parts. Hope to see you in the beautiful southeast soon.

...It sucks. At least, if you're like me: northern-blooded and naturally averse to temperatures that seldom dip below a hot, sticky 90 degrees in the summer (and 70s in December).

Rap, R&B, Hip-hip capital of the world.
    As mention by ABalex, it's temperate. Spring and Autumn are great. Summers can be hot, usually 85-95 but usually never above. Winter are usually round 25-45 and sometimes randomly warms up and cools down. January is usually the coldest, low teens-40.
    And yea you'll meet a few rednecks and uncivilized people. The 'uncivilized' tend to live in the northern region and a rednecks tend to live in the middle region. The coast and southern region are more civilized but a lot hotter and humid
    I've lived in Georgia for 15yrs (though I'm sure someone here has lived longer in Georgia)
    Last edited by Quilu; 28-Dec-2011 at 03:02. Reason: Spelling&grammer

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    Not a lot of snow in the winter, maybe a few inches here and there but almost never more than 6 inches and if it does accumulate, it does not stick around for long. I really like this area, becuase of the mountains around here, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are rare (compared to the midwest and plains). And we are far enough from the oceans for any hurricanes to die down before they make it here. And no majorly active fault lines nearby.
    ...crap. i like snow. and the cold. :\ but the no earthquakes thing is good, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovy View Post
    ...It sucks. At least, if you're like me: northern-blooded and naturally averse to temperatures that seldom dip below a hot, sticky 90 degrees in the summer (and 70s in December).
    ...looks like i'm going to have to get a couple more pairs of shorts...

Peachy

I remember the day I arrived in Georgia. I opened the airport doors at 9pm at night, and was hit by a wave of heat and humidity I had never experienced over here in Europe. Quckly went back inside but I guess I couldn't stay in there forever. Gotta say: It was late August, so probably one of the hottest days of the year.

In general, the climate is very humid for most of the warm months, and temperatures are usually around the 40C mark in summer for a couple of months. You'll grow to like a/c. Witer is a whole other story. There's not much of a winter at all from my perspective. I remember one day of icy rain that stuck to the overhead power lines and brough them down, making parts of the city lose power for a couple of days (keep a warm sleeper around!). There's also the memory of my university being shut down because snow was predicted (never actually got any). I spent that day laughing my ass off at home.
    It's also fun to randomly yell "snow" in winter and watch the locals run for the windows.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I remember the day I arrived in Georgia. I opened the airport doors at 9pm at night, and was hit by a wave of heat and humidity I had never experienced over here in Europe. Quckly went back inside but I guess I couldn't stay in there forever. Gotta say: It was late August, so probably one of the hottest days of the year.

In general, the climate is very humid for most of the warm months, and temperatures are usually around the 40C mark in summer for a couple of months. You'll grow to like a/c. Witer is a whole other story. There's not much of a winter at all from my perspective. I remember one day of icy rain that stuck to the overhead power lines and brough them down, making parts of the city lose power for a couple of days (keep a warm sleeper around!). There's also the memory of my university being shut down because snow was predicted (never actually got any). I spent that day laughing my ass off at home.
    It's also fun to randomly yell "snow" in winter and watch the locals run for the windows.

Peachy
    i remember a few winters back in texas. the snow forecast called for a possibility of snow, and most towns declared a "winter emergency."
    i was like... *facepalm* fail, texas. fail.

i'm definitely going to amuse myself by wearing shorts in january when i move :3

I moved to this area from the midwest. and i crack up when i see people bundled up in ten layers as soon as it hits 60F. wear tshirts and jeans all year. Maybe a spring jacket when it dips below 40F. But yeah, the locals think this is freezing.