Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time Urinary Incontinence ( Nocturnal enuresis)

Default Night time Urinary Incontinence ( Nocturnal enuresis)

Night time Urinary Incontinence/Nocturnal enuresis/bedwetting

I am 20 and sometimes do wet during the night, I seem to have those smart dreams of looking for a toilet or (as of last night) wetting a diaper, your brain saying "Hey, you need to go to the loo, get up". That usually wakes me up but on occasions I dont, (fortunately last night wasn't one, I woke up just in time, only a small patch on boxers). It seems to be due to deep sleep and upon reading a Wikipedia article:

Nocturnal enuresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the reasons is deep sleep. Anyone else get this?

funseeker

Yes it is the deep sleep some call REM or Delta level which is low brain waves action. This is the tiume many wet their diaper without knowing and without waking.

Yep - there are many factors here and I am not qualified to discuss them. I know that as well as dreams about sitting on the toilet (and waking in a wet bed) I have also woken convinced I had wet the bed, only to find that I hadn't - but would if i didn't run fast to the bathroom. I have also woken in a very full (just over 200ml) diaper completely unaware I had wet until I had gotten out of bed and the damn thing nearly fell off. Deep sleep is not necessarily long sleep and this might be why the alarms that go off when a sensor in you genital area gets wet are not always successful - I could sometimes sleep through the alarm and my mum shaking me, but other nights was in a light sleep and realized I we weeing before the sensor detected it.

I have often had the peeing in a dream turn into a wet bed in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    Yes it is the deep sleep some call REM or Delta level which is low brain waves action. This is the time many wet their diaper without knowing and without waking.
    REM and Delta wave sleep are two entirely different things. REM (or Rapid Eye Movement) sleep is very active sleep, where your brain waves increase, heart rate increases, etc. This normally occurs more often in the early morning hours. Delta or deep sleep is slow brain activity, slow heart rate, etc. This sleep occurs more often earlier in the night. This is also the sleep where you are likely to wet yourself, snore, sleep walk, etc. This is why most bedwetters (including myself) can wake up after sleeping just three hours in a soaked diaper.

I seem to have those smart dreams of looking for a toilet or (as of last night) wetting a diaper, your brain saying "Hey, you need to go to the loo, get up".
    You have no idea how glad I am to hear that other people have those dreams thank you.

Not sure if it would work for you but being sick set off bed wetting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    REM and Delta wave sleep are two entirely different things. REM (or Rapid Eye Movement) sleep is very active sleep, where your brain waves increase, heart rate increases, etc. This normally occurs more often in the early morning hours. Delta or deep sleep is slow brain activity, slow heart rate, etc. This sleep occurs more often earlier in the night. This is also the sleep where you are likely to wet yourself, snore, sleep walk, etc. This is why most bedwetters (including myself) can wake up after sleeping just three hours in a soaked diaper.
    Agree. Out of curiosity, Iíve monitored my sleep to determine exactly when I wet. To my surprise, initial wetting is often in the first hour of sleep.

Parents often treat bed wetting as a dread disease, forgetting that at most it is a symptom of something being wrong and often just a developmental thing or the result of a number of pretty random factors coinciding. I am not medically qualified, but reckon doctors often have a tough time establishing causes for kids and most often advise working through a number of treatments and management options that have a record of success. For older people with a onset of bed wetting in the 20-30-40 50+ years range it is often linked to more easily established and identifiable causes which is why it is important to get medical advice quickly because the underlying cause could be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by dayannight View Post
    Parents often treat bed wetting as a dread disease, forgetting that at most it is a symptom of something being wrong and often just a developmental thing or the result of a number of pretty random factors coinciding. I am not medically qualified, but reckon doctors often have a tough time establishing causes for kids and most often advise working through a number of treatments and management options that have a record of success. For older people with a onset of bed wetting in the 20-30-40 50+ years range it is often linked to more easily established and identifiable causes which is why it is important to get medical advice quickly because the underlying cause could be serious.
    It's a lot easier now than it was 20 years ago. I still have occasional nightmares about the tests they did on me trying to find out what was causing my problems and why normal techniques (like bedwetting alarms) didn't help.

BTW, regarding the original post: Deep sleep can be a factor, but usually isn't a cause in and of itself, at least according to every doctor I've ever talked to about my problems in that area

I suffer from insomnia quite a bit, and find that most nights I don't wet, because I don't go into deep sleep very often. However, if I take a sleeping pill or get a little tipsy from alcohol, I find that I wet fairly regularly because I do make it into deep sleep. Deep sleep isn't the cause, it's simply the time when the loss of control happens because your brain isn't as receptive to your bladder's need to empty during deep sleep.