Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Privacy tips

Default Privacy tips

Here are some internet privacy tips for looking up...private stuff(e.g. diaper stuff)

1. If using Google Chrome, on an Incognitio window, this doesn't record any history, store any cookies or data.
    2. Delete history, you can delete just the private stuff and leave the rest by going "Show Full history" > "Edit Items" > select the items to delete and hit "delete selected items" (this is for Google Chrome, probably similar for other browsers
    3. Delete "Most Visited" or "Recently Visited" pages
    4. Deleting Google search history, sometimes when searching with Google, the searched text will still be in a drop down menu after searching.
    5. Delete cookies, saved passwords and autofill data, most web broswers have a "clear browsing history" option that will do this.
    6. For mobile devices:
      I know with my Android phone stores visited pages under "History" and "Most visited"
      Deleting Google search history, sometimes when searching with Google, the searched text will still be in a drop down menu after searching, this can be deleted by clicking the empty Google search box on Google homepage and selecting "Clear History"
    7. Close the door to where the computer is
    8. Have your own computer (I do and still delete history!)
    9. Use your mobile phone, iPod, laptop, tablet etc(I even delete history on phone to).
    10. Browse when no one is at home, or there in bed.

If I find anymore then I'll add them to this list

Firefox also gives you the ability to run in private browsing mode, although it would be best to use the custom settings. When using private browsing, you are unable to save passwords to various websites; therefore, it would be best if custom settings are chosen.

Personally, I have my settings so that cookies/history are deleted whenever firefox is closed.

For Android phones, there is a free app on the market called InBrowser which the same as Incognito mode on Chrome or Private browsing in FF and works amazingly. Also for Honeycomb tablets, the stock browser has a built in Incognito mode if you open up the menu there's an option there for it.

Using "reset safari" when using safari will clear out everything as well in one foul swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by ross5 View Post
    For Android phones, there is a free app on the market called InBrowser which the same as Incognito mode on Chrome or Private browsing in FF and works amazingly. Also for Honeycomb tablets, the stock browser has a built in Incognito mode if you open up the menu there's an option there for it.
    Additionally for anyone using CyanogenMod, there is an Incognito mode built into the ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    Using "reset safari" when using safari will clear out everything as well in one foul swoop.
    If you're on a Mac don't rely on this. It will clear Safaris records to an okay extend but things like your DNS cache sit there happily ticking away You can easily fix that by rebooting your Mac when you've done with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    If you're on a Mac don't rely on this. It will clear Safaris records to an okay extend but things like your DNS cache sit there happily ticking away You can easily fix that by rebooting your Mac when you've done with it though.
    Ahh, I see. Okay. Thank you for that CGH. I will be doing that from now on

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    That's true of all operating systems actually if you know how to get at the information.

Also it is MUCH easier than most people realize to get at on Windows, so if you use Windows and you're worried about someone checking the DNS Cache, definitely make sure you reboot when done.

Be wary of tech savy parents, especially if they run their own servers. You'd be amazed how easy it is to log every website a DNS server resolves. (Actually, when mine are restarted they immediately perform lookups and cache the results for the last 100 looked at domains before shutting down, and I keep detailed stats of which sites get resolved most often)

I never have to deal with this problem since I use my own laptop, but when I used to always use the main computer, I would always just delete my browsing history just in case. It's not like my parents would go searching for what I have been doing on the internet anyways because everyone in my family has decency.