Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy reaches top of 7 Highest Moutains by age 15-

Default Boy reaches top of 7 Highest Moutains by age 15-

Calif. teen becomes youngest to climb 7 summits - Yahoo! News

Now, this alone isn't a mature discussion, but a lot of people in the comments are calling this child abuse, and I wanted to know your opinions on it.

Is it child abuse? Why?

I don't believe it is, simply because the child wanted to do it, and even if it is dangerous, life is dangerous in general. But I still want your opinions

I don't see it as child abuse. As you and others have said, the kid wanted to do it. that is an amazing accomplishment.

acorn

Personally I don't think that I'd wait until I've seen an infant in a pram on the summit before I'd call BS. That young man was assuredly only a passenger in some of his earlier endeavours, in what is undeniably a team sport. Think of the day that is in it acorn and leave out the bad jokes about high altitude diaper changes.

Did the child want to do it? If so then it was their decision so can hardly be called child abuse.

Child abuse? Thats stupid. 15 isnt exactly a child and he wanted to do it. I think its quite an accomplishment.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by LittleNaruto View Post
    Child abuse? Thats stupid. 15 isnt exactly a child and he wanted to do it. I think its quite an accomplishment.
    An excerpt directly from the article.

At age 10, Romero climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa, and at age 13 he climbed the world's highest mountain, at 29,035 feet, Mt. Everest in Asia.
    Equally it can be argued that eighteen is hardly adult, in some jurisdictions they still do not have full adult rights.

I'm with Acorn on all of this. I've seen this kid interviewed on television. I believe he was along for the ride when he was younger. It's not child abuse, but his parents may have used poor judgement. As things turned out, he appears to be incredible, and the parents appear like the coolest parents in the world. However, things can quickly turn ugly on any mountain, and had the boy perished, we'd all be saying his parents were idiots.

funseeker

Let everyone be the best they can be. If you can do it and want to go for it.

WarrenW

He prolly has real pushy 'rents and other relatives and will be dead before his time.