Thread: I need some advice.

Default I need some advice.

Dilemma:

So I made a poster that I was planning on giving to a friend, but I don't think my mom realized that and she went to go get it framed. I sort of blew that off thinking I could still give it to him. I just got it back today framed with glass, and I find out that my mom spent $115 getting it framed, had I known earlier I would've been able to make a new one, but I'm not able to now.

I meant to give the friend the poster about a month ago, but he hasn't been around, and even told him I'd give him one, and I'd feel bad about not coming through with my promise.

On the other hand, it feels wrong to give away a present that someone spent $115 to give me.

EDIT: I haven't told my mom about the situation yet, and I have the ability to pay her back for the money she spent on it. The next time I might even have a chance to make the poster again would be in December.

Question:

What should I do?
    Last edited by Jewbacca; 28-Aug-2008 at 21:06. Reason: missing info

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
    Dilemma:

So I made a poster that I was planning on giving to a friend, but I don't think my mom realized that and she went to go get it framed. I sort of blew that off thinking I could still give it to him. I just got it back today framed with glass, and I find out that my mom spent $115 getting it framed, had I known earlier I would've been able to make a new one, but I'm not able to now.

I meant to give the friend the poster about a month ago, but he hasn't been around, and even told him I'd give him one, and I'd feel bad about not coming through with my promise.

On the other hand, it feels wrong to give away a present that someone spent $115 to give me.

Question:

What should I do?
    Explain to your friend, and make him another poster when you get the chance. You can't give someone else a gift your mother went to trouble to get you. You shouldn't in general, but it would just be foolish when you live at home. You would look very ungrateful. I'm not sure why your mother got it framed when you had plans for it, but you're pretty much stuck now.

Can't the poster be copied, and then you can give your freind an exact copy, I would explain to you mom that you promised the poster to someone, I think she will go along with having a copy made.

Just because it's framed dosn't mean it can be removed from the frame and copied, alot of these big office stores have oversized copiers, I'm just not how big they go, but I'm sure it can be done, for not much money.

In a worst case scenario, sneak money into your moms hands, after giving it away. Preferably, get it copied, as ballucanb said, or get another one for him, but as you said, promises are promises, you should/must keep them.

Um..I don't see why you just can't make another one. That seems like the best solution.

I would say explain the situation to your friend and make them another poster when you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
    What should I do?
    Ask your mom exactly the same question you just asked us. She'll understand... She's your mom.

Firstly, you should explain it to both your friend and your mum. They both need to know what has happened - your friend so he doesn't think you have forgotten, and your mother at least so it doesn't happen again, or maybe so that she even understands if you end up giving it away.

Copying it would be difficult if it has glass over it. They only way you could really do it is by hand which means that it is the same amount of effort as just doing another one. Of course, it could be possible that it can be taken in and out of the frame. If so, remove it, make a copy, and put it back in.

The most important thing you can do is explain the situation to the people it actually influences. They might come up with a good idea, and they need to know what has happened because either your friend or your mum could easily get insulted by the situation

One option you could do is to explain it to your mum and pay her back. Then give this one to your friend and do another for yourself that your mum can then get framed with the money you paid her back with.