Thread: Help me please (multichannel Audio Recording and Sony Vegas)

Default Help me please (multichannel Audio Recording and Sony Vegas)

Ok people, so I have recorded some game footage with fraps (game recorder) for the first time, in multichannel audio mode (6 channels) BIG MISTAKE!

Anyways, after I recorded a few hours of footage and was going to put it together in Sony Vegas Pro 10e, Sony Vegas gives me the error of "Stream attributes could not be determined" Now, I used to record my videos in regular stereo and it worked fine when I did, so I determined that must be the problem. So I turn stereo audio recording back on, went into the game, recorded, and wow! Audio is being added into sony vegas along with the video. Awesome right? Yeah, that's great to know about it after recording a long let's play with multichannel audio enabled. FML

So anyways since I researched the problem and found out Sony Vegas 10 does not support multichannel audio (great...) therefore I've been trying some software such as Audacity and Avidemux to convert it from 6 channel back to stereo sound, but no luck. Audacity crashes when I import the fraps video sounds into it and Avidemux won't detect the audio at all. I'm at a loss here and I have no idea what to do, I can't just re-record everything at stereo sound, because this was a let's play and what I did cannot be replaced.

So if anyone has any suggestions or anything, I'm happy to hear them, I really have no idea what to do. I've been googling my problem for about an hour now and I give up, so yes, I'm asking for help. Thanks tech/audio gurus of ADISC in advance!

If it helps at all:

Soundcard: VIA High Definition Audio (Built-in 6-channel sound 'card')

Description of video file:

Video Format: AVI
    Frame width: 1600
    Frame Height: 900
    Data Rate: 686592kbps
    Total Bitrate: 691200kbps
    Frame Rate: 40 Frames/second

Audio:
    Bit Rate: 4608kbps
    Channels: 6
    Audio sample rate: 48kHz

Regards,
    DoenHetLicht

I'm not sure if this will work, or if you have seen it already, but try out this guide.

How to extract AC3 5.1 6ch audio from AVI and convert to stereo MP3 file

It uses a few different programs, but seems well written.

Let us know if this helps..

My only other suggestion is maybe a a program FLStudio might do it. I've not tried to use 6 channel audio in it, but it might work.

=^-^=

You might want to use another program (or one that you have thats pre-existing) to rip the video out without the audio. Basicaly get the video on it's own, use that guide to get the mp3 on it's own, then sync up the mp3 audio with the ripped out video (inside Sony Vegas).

---------------------------------

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/

You might be able to rip and convert the audio with All to Avi. its freeware and awesome. I use it whenever i need to convert video.

Another program I use which I highly recommend. I think this might be the easiest first option...
    http://www.allfreevideoconverter.com...ter/index.html
    You might find this could be easiest solution. Whenever I want to rip audio. I use this program. If your lucky, it might convert the 6 channel to 2 channel.

Goodluck. Thats all I can think of at this point in time.
    Last edited by micahfolf; 15-Dec-2011 at 13:37. Reason: Thought of more options.

Quote Originally Posted by micahfolf View Post
    I'm not sure if this will work, or if you have seen it already, but try out this guide.

How to extract AC3 5.1 6ch audio from AVI and convert to stereo MP3 file

It uses a few different programs, but seems well written.

Let us know if this helps..

My only other suggestion is maybe a a program FLStudio might do it. I've not tried to use 6 channel audio in it, but it might work.

=^-^=

You might want to use another program (or one that you have thats pre-existing) to rip the video out without the audio. Basicaly get the video on it's own, use that guide to get the mp3 on it's own, then sync up the mp3 audio with the ripped out video (inside Sony Vegas).

Goodluck
    Surprisingly, I didn't see that guide in all my searches. Thanks so much I'll give it a try right now and I'll let ya know how it goes.

EDIT: Won't work, this is a guide for AC3 5.1, my video file uses something called 'Extensible Wave Format' for the audio, any other ideas?
    Last edited by Chimera; 15-Dec-2011 at 13:44.

Try out "allfreevideoconverter" first i think. It might save alot of hassle and its the sort of program that is handy to keep laying around.

I just realized your edited portion of your first post, I'm gonna try those now, thanks.

Sorry bout that. I have a bad habit of posting and forgetting certain things.. like additional information or spell checking for typos, or reading through for grammar issues etc.

But yeah. Good luck =^-^=

I got this error in allfreevideoconverter: File (0): Can not resample 6 channels @ 48000 Hz to 2 channels @ 48000 Hz

gah bugger.

Um..

No sound with AVI files with "0xFFFE Extensible wave format" Videomaker Community Forums

Maybe try out the program they metion here... "I think you have to convert them in nero to the format that vegas will take. I use nero to convert any file and to compress audio or video. it is good for any change."
    Nero - Features

---------- Post added at 01:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

Ok. the only other thing that might help is to dig through this site.

Guide, How To, Tutorial and Article list - VideoHelp.com

Whats the extension of the video file? --EDIT-- oh.. AVI.. nvm

You might be able to get help from here. My only other thought might be to litteraly use a program to play the video in something that will play it (like vlc should play it) and set up another program to litteraly record what should be coming out of your speakers.. its a bit brutal, but might be your only option.. Worst case scenario, if nothing works... you could find a sound recording device of some form or sort (ie. an mp3 player with an audio in or something) and playback the video through your line out.

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DoenHetLicht View Post
    I got this error in allfreevideoconverter: File (0): Can not resample 6 channels @ 48000 Hz to 2 channels @ 48000 Hz

Is it possible to convert it to 44,100Hz? probably wouldn't. but was just a thought.. I usualy avoid 48000 Hz

---------------------------IF the codec is AC3, the link below might list a guide that could work.---------------

http://www.videohelp.com/guides?sear...or+List+Guides

I also highly recommend using a program like VLC player to view the codec information.. would make it alot easier to find a guide that will work. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Install VLC if you dont already have it. Open up the movie (pray it plays) pause the sucker and hit ctrl-j (or click "tools" and then "codec information")

Last idea on the list for you to try.. Maybe VLC will rip/convert the audio for you.. I know VLC does it.. just not sure if it will rip/convert 6 channel.... but yeah.. that could be a realy easy solution if it worked...

Well, goodnite and ill check to see how you went tommorow =^-^=
    Last edited by micahfolf; 15-Dec-2011 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by micahfolf View Post
    gah bugger.

Um..

No sound with AVI files with "0xFFFE Extensible wave format" Videomaker Community Forums

Maybe try out the program they metion here... "I think you have to convert them in nero to the format that vegas will take. I use nero to convert any file and to compress audio or video. it is good for any change."
    Nero - Features

---------- Post added at 01:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

Ok. the only other thing that might help is to dig through this site.

Guide, How To, Tutorial and Article list - VideoHelp.com

Whats the extension of the video file?

You might be able to get help from here. My only other thought might be to litteraly use a program to play the video in something that will play it (like vlc should play it) and set up another program to litteraly record what should be coming out of your speakers.. its a bit brutal, but might be your only option.. Worst case scenario, if nothing works... you could find a sound recording device of some form or sort (ie. an mp3 player with an audio in or something) and playback the video through your line out.

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

Is it possible to convert it to 44,100Hz? probably wouldn't. but was just a thought.. I usualy avoid 48000 Hz
    I'm downloading Nero right now and if that doesn't work, maybe I might have to go through all the videos and record them while they are playing in windows media player :/ I was aware I could do this for a while but I was hoping for an easier, better solution in case this ever happened again. So I might just take that step and record my video 'again' with fraps from windows media player. Thanks for all your help by the way micahfolf!

EDIT: VLC gives me this error and the video plays but no audio:
    No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.