Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Day Today! =D

Talking Big Day Today! =D

Hey ADISC! I know I haven't been posting a lot lately (which I sorta feel bad about, because this site and the people on it have helped me out immensely over this past year) But it's mostly because I've been busy with the holidays, and, preparing for THIS.....

Sadly for those of you who saw this thread hoping to see something about a wedding, it's not. =P

However, at this point in my lifetime, I'd say it's personally just as important.

Later this evening I will finally, after 10 long years (more than half of my brief existence) be attending my Eagle Court of Honor Ceremony to attain the final and highest rank in Boy Scouting: the exalted Eagle Scout rank!

Any other Boy Scout on this site will know/understand why this is a big deal for me. As for the rest of you, just consider this a sort of graduation ceremony from the organization. After much dedication and hard work, I finally get a chance to have my 15 minutes of fame to speak to everyone in my troop.

The funniest part being, I'm not too anxious to receive the reward. I could honestly care less about the badge and all that, because that'll never eplace the experiences I had with my troop. I'm most anxious/excited to be able to speak to all of the boys who look up to me and all of the adults who respect me and tell them something inspiring, for the sake of having this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Maybe this is just an appeal to my narcissim, but I'd like to think I have a chance to make a difference (or at least a memorable footnote) in these people's lives (if I haven't alreay throughout my scouting career).

To think that I've finally reached the culmination of my hard work is utterly astounding, but a bit depressing as well. With this transition from Boy Scout to Eagle, it seems to have sunk in a lot more that I'm actually becoming an adult now, which is a bit terrifying! I've spent so much of my life enjoying myself and experiencing everything life threw at me that I don't know if I've spent enough time preparing for the real world. Most would argue that I've been given all the tools I need and just need to go for it, but taking that last step to truly become an adult (well symbolically at least, legally I AM an adult) seems like it's the longest stride and the hardest to endure.

I'm not going to get caught up in worrying right now though. I've got a big day ahead of me as well as a big speech, so gotta go grab myself some glory. Wish me luck all!

I was never a scout, but I know that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to reach Eagle scout. Congratulations and very well done!

Congratulations BK25!
    I'm proud of you!

And yes, often it can feel depressing or overwhelming at least being an adult!
    You get so much more to worry about and so much more liabilties or worries that comes with it.

The good news is more freedom and choices;
    the bad news is literally too many choices (to consider), seemingly less free time, and more taxes and bills, etc.

Any, have fun in this new chapter to your adventure, and as someone once said, "Don't let anyone take the kid from within your soul."

congrats bud...i remember completing and graduating an eagle scout. though its been years and tbo, i dont remember much of it, but its something you can be proud to tell others when you find yourself in a conversation about achievements in your life. thats a big one a lot of people dont get to say.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support! 4 hours until Showtime! =D

Congratulations, This is a very big deal and you deserve to be proud of yourself. I won't be able to eagle till I get my Eagle Service Project done this spring and Another two merit badges. You deserve this ceremony and it doesn't have to be your last hurra in scouts. Go back and be a leader or go for your palms.

As for being an adult it's like life is a mountain range you've climbed up others mountains only to see larger ones ahead of you. The difference now is you won't just climb your given the chance to soar above the summits of life's mountains.

I am from Canada and I obtained my Chief Scout award (equivalent to Eagle Scout) along with Top Scout in District and Provence award. So may this day be the best it can be for you!! I know your thrill!

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyBenjamin View Post
    You deserve this ceremony and it doesn't have to be your last hurra in scouts. Go back and be a leader or go for your palms.

As for being an adult it's like life is a mountain range you've climbed up others mountains only to see larger ones ahead of you. The difference now is you won't just climb your given the chance to soar above the summits of life's mountains.
    There's no doubt in my mind that I'll be going back as a scout leader (it's the least I could do for my troop) but regardless as to what everyone says, it is not the same. If you thought responsibilities as SPL were hard, being an adult is like having a camera on you all the time. You become legally responsible for all those kids, not for the sake of you enjoying yourself or learning. It's a great bonus if it happens, but that's not what you're on outings for. There's a big seperation between scout and adult, and that's the same difference between the day before and the day of your 18th birthday as far as scouting is concerned.

Will there be different opportunities for me to explore as an adult/Eagle scout? yes
    Will they be better/worse opportunities? not necessarily either/or
    Will I ever get the same experience as I did as a Boy Scout? Never

I may be able to live vicariously through other boys at camp, but my responibility as an adult (and now an Eagle) first and foremost is their safety. However, nothing lasts forever, and I will always have my memories to reflect on, that I can assure you. My Scouting career was a blast but it's taken a radical turn at this point in time.

And congratulations to you for pursuing something you care about! I'm always elated to hear of other up and coming eagle scouts. Eagle Scouts truly are a brotherhood and in life if you ever meet another one, you tend to form an instant bond based on the challenges you both endured on the path to Eagle. Keep on it, you're almost there!

---------- Post added at 02:19 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Knom View Post
    I am from Canada and I obtained my Chief Scout award (equivalent to Eagle Scout) along with Top Scout in District and Provence award. So may this day be the best it can be for you!! I know your thrill!
    Wow! I don't believe BSA has a type of award which is essentially best scout in those areas. lots of people are recognized, but for various reasons. It's great to meet someone who did so much for scouting that that kind of award was given. Congratulations, and thank you!

I thought it was going to be a thread about getting diapers or meeting someone from the. General abdl community. No, it is much more, a milestone in your life, an ebenezer no less. Congratulations!
    Last edited by Khaymen; 15-Dec-2011 at 22:06.

I went to watch my friends eagle scout ceremony. It was a big deal, and a lot of hard work for him. Good job!