Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you tell yourself when you were younger?

Default What would you tell yourself when you were younger?

If you could reappear and visit yourself when you first realized that you wanted to wear diapers, what would you say? Is there any particular advice that you would give to yourself after having gone through this and then after being in a later stage of life?

This is a question I have often thought about, as it was not until I was in my early twenties that I even realized there were others who shared in this interest. It was a real struggle for me when I was in my teens and something I hated myself over.

Now that I am quite a few years older, I wonder if someone else who had shared in this interest would have talked to me way back when. . .

. What would I wanted to have known? Is there something in particular that would have helped me? Would I have told myself to avoid this, or rather consoled myself in understanding it better?

Right now, I am thinking that the mere understanding that there are others who share in this interest would have been a real help. But also the acceptance I now have regarding these interests, and then if someone would have shared that it was okay to be who I was, I think would have made a big difference.

My specific response to this question would first be that it was okay to feel this way. There are a lot of others who share in this interest, and it is alright to be different than the norm. In fact, the very fact that you have this interest is something that makes you unique from others and an opportunity to experience the thrill of childhood that is all to often cut short. It is an interest that is part of who you are, and not something you need to be ashamed over.

I imagine there might be quite a few different thoughts about this, and I am wondering about the contrast in responses from those who are younger to those who might be in the over-30 crowd might share.

I imagine that I am not alone in this thought. I guess that this might be something of interest and hopefully help our audience and participants here on this site. Although there may have been some similar threads, I think this is something worth revisiting.

Please share your thoughts.
    Last edited by TeddyBearCowboy; 14-Dec-2011 at 03:20.

oh wow! Thats a really good question, and a good answer as well. When I was younger I thrived on not being normal. So that wasn't too big of an issue for me. I think I would try to keep it simple like "don't stress over this too much, It will all come to you eventually." You know something reassuring to keep my moral high. I might even tell myself about ADISC as this site has helped a great deal in just understanding what it is to be a DL.

I agree this is a great question. I'd keep it short and simple because my younger self at the age I first started to latch on to these feelings had the attention span of a bored teaspoon

I think I'd say something like: "You'll fully accept this eventually, so don't worry about it. It's not harmful and it's not wrong. You'll even tell some of your family, and they'll be more accepting than you can possibly imagine. Enjoy it. Oh, by the way, the winning lottery numbers for the next 10 weeks are...".

Knowing how I was at that point in my life, I imagine that any attempt from what would be a future me to talk to myself would be an unmitigated disaster. At that point, I was a devout Christian, conservative, and trying not to be gay, so I imagine that my past self would freak out at my present self and things would have gotten worse.

Besides, anyone who's ever watched Star Trek knows the ramifications of messing around with the timeline, and anyone who actually liked Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (yes, I am one of the six people that did not hate V) remembers Kirk's speech about how he needs his pain because that's part of who he is. I'll compare it to that-the events of my life, while not all pleasant, were essential to making me the person I am today, so although there would be a temptation to try sparing myself that pain, those events, all of that, I know that ultimately, it would probably backfire, and even if it did work, it would radically transform the person that resulted from my meddling.

To hell with abdl would just let myself know the lotto numbers, when you're mega rich you don't care what people think. :P

But seriously certainly I would try to share how I came to be accepting of myself and perhaps just as importantly that there are great people out there, like on this site, as well as the creepos.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I agree this is a great question. I'd keep it short and simple because my younger self at the age I first started to latch on to these feelings had the attention span of a bored teaspoon

I think I'd say something like: "You'll fully accept this eventually, so don't worry about it. It's not harmful and it's not wrong. You'll even tell some of your family, and they'll be more accepting than you can possibly imagine. Enjoy it. Oh, by the way, the winning lottery numbers for the next 10 weeks are...".

Quote Originally Posted by superduper View Post
    To hell with abdl would just let myself know the lotto numbers, when you're mega rich you don't care what people think. :P
    Great minds think alike

Hide your stash better and try to stock up on Goodnites (the originals), though the two probably work against each other.

Mostly... go and buy some and don't agonise over it :P I wish I'd had more guts back then, but that's always a hindsight thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBr_Cowboy View Post
    If you could reappear and visit yourself when you first realized that you wanted to wear diapers, what would you say? Is there any particular advice that you would give to yourself after having gone through this and then after being in a later stage of life?
    ah, well, a long, long time ago, when some of you still had hair (and some others had it where they didn't want it).......33 years ago, to be exact (approx), i had decided to take to secretly wearing diapers in order to gain the 50pence for each dry night, as promised. the first time i tried the combination of towelling and placky-pants, i became a devotee. of course, my 'towel/nappy' was an old towelling jumper (not wanting questions about missing towels) and i had tied it around me with the sleeves.
    so, if i were to appear unto myself at that age (7), i would tell myself to stop buggering about and to do the job properly - then, i'd kick me in the stomach to emphasize the point.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 12-Dec-2011 at 23:01. Reason: removed personal ad.