Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A kid on the way

Default A kid on the way

Hi it's been a long time since I posted last. my wife been feeling sick lately so I took her to the doctor and she's pregnant. I'm going to be a daddy. I feel happy and scared at the same time. I'm going to turn my nursery in to a well nursery for the kid. I think that's going to be hard for me but I guess it's time for me to grow up. can someone give me some words of wisdom for me please? I'm scared.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 06-Dec-2011 at 23:17. Reason: edited to make it easier to read

Quote Originally Posted by matt1989 View Post
    I'm going to be a daddy. I feel happy and scared at the same time.
    Hi, matt1989.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You're in for a ride--a good ride, IMO. I have two kids, ages almost-7 and almost-4. I can't imagine life without them. The first few months are a BIG change for every new parent. Nothing can really prepare you for having something so utterly dependent on you, and something so demanding of your time. Just bear in mind that these first months go by quickly, and so the sooner you give in to the mechanical aspect of caring for a newborn (changing the diapers, etc.), the sooner you'll get to enjoy that baby who will, all too quickly, become a toddler. When our second baby came along, I realized just how much of our first I had missed because I was still fighting to preserve my old ways. I felt really bad about that. Eventually, all those things you used to do will find their way back, and sooner rather than later. My advice: Surrender to parenthood. Once things really get going, you'll realize it's way too short.

Default congrats!

It will be the most wonderful thing you ever experience. Do your best for your new family (I'm sure you will.) Things won't always go how you've imagined them, but it will be alright. Try to develop as much patience as you can, you'll need it. Life doesn't give you anything that you can't handle so have faith in yourself. Don't worry about things going badly, paternal instinct will kick in and you'll just know what to do. Your child will learn a lot from you, but you will learn from your child also. Obviously you care, so you'll be okay.

Congratulations matt. I remember so clearly, when my wife and I were first married. We wanted children so badly, but I made next to nothing and she was barely working. We simply couldn't afford them, but our older friends told us that we would never really be able to afford children, so go ahead and have them anyway. How right they were. Somehow, the money comes. It was hard for my wife to conceive because she is diabetic, but we were able to have two out of three. The middle child died in the 6th month of pregnancy.

I can tell you, when our first child was born, and I held him for the first time, I was in awe. To think that we made this completely new life, by a simple act, and here was this brand new little person. It makes a believer out of you, that there is a greater power in the universe. My children are my greatest blessing in my life. I love it when we visit our daughter and grandchildren, or when my son comes home.

Yes, for me, suddenly there were baby clothes, diapers and plastic pants in the house, but everything changed. There simply was no cross over. There were the sleepless nights, the 3 o'clock feedings, etc., but watching them grow and learn new things that you teach them is so amazing.

Eventually my own baby desires returned, but by that time, the kids were in nursery school and grade school. You find there is a time and place for all things, and somehow, we fit into this universe; their universe. And like Cottontail says, they are children for such a short time, and you are their protector for that equally short time. All too soon they are out of the house and on their own, and your life has changed again.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1989 View Post
    Hi it's been a long time since I posted last. my wife been feeling sick lately so I took her to the doctor and she's pregnant. I'm going to be a daddy. I feel happy and scared at the same time. I'm going to turn my nursery in to a well nursery for the kid. I think that's going to be hard for me but I guess it's time for me to grow up. can someone give me some words of wisdom for me please? I'm scared.
    Don't worry, everyone will be scared at first and you won't be perfect at first so don't fret about that either. Just start reading parenting books and you should be fine when it arrives Congratulations on the baby.

Congratulations to a new parent.

I think fear is an intelligent response to finding out you are going to be responsible for the, spiritual, physical and mental, growth and development of a new life.

Keep that fear. Hone it and fret over your decisions, it means you will always consider them and are concerned for their intended and actual response.

Thanks you guys have no idea how much I needed that. All this thoughts are going throw my head. It's just I wont to be a badder daddy than my dad whas. Don't git me wrong my dad whas a great guy just not the greatest father figure. I haven't touched a beer since I whas 18 because I don't wont to be that man past out in a chair with a leat sagert all of the time.

I'm starting to baby proofing my home tall me if I'm missing any thing? I got all my hunting guns locked up and put away war no one under 3 feet tall can git them. all unused outlets have those plastic plugs, baby gates for every door, a fire exagsher.

It's too early to start baby proofing. I didn't start until mine was crawling. When they are born, they can't even move around. They can't roll over or to the front. Then when they can roll to their back, they can't roll back over. Mine didn't start rolling from front to back until he was four and a half months and that was how he got around. I still didn't need to baby proof until he started to crawl and that was right before he turned six months. All I did was put in the socket covers and I had to keep moving stuff to higher places and then we got baby gates to make my job easier. and when i put the tree up, I put the soft and unbreakable ornaments on the bottom and the ones that break and are fragile, at the top. I can't even have presents down there or else he will ripe the wrapping off them so I have them on top of shelves and stuff. I do also keep the bathroom and bedroom door closed. I used to block off places too until he started to get smart so he figured out he can crawl under the table and chairs and crawl over stuff. We never really had to use a play pen because our son hates it and it's too small for him to play in and we just watch him. Only time we used one was when he started to stand up holding onto things so he fell out of his crib and landed on his butt somehow but he was alright. But that was stiill bad enough so i took out the play pen and had him in there every time I shower until my husband got the mattress lowered in his crib. The play pen belonged to my brother when he was a baby and my parents took it back to use on their other grand son for when they watch him. But I live in an apartment so it makes things easier.

Congratulations Matt to you and your wife!!!!!!!!! Take advantage of all the freebies and cheap buys for expectant parents too.

Congrats!!!! I hope this journey ahead will be a fulfilling and happy one!