Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm done.

Default I'm done.

I've just slaved over an online trigonometry test for several hours, and I was so confident I did well.

I got a 52%.

I'm done with that class. I really don't think there's any point in taking the last few tests or the final, because it will just end up that I worked my ass off for pretty much nothing.

If you're reading this and thinking about taking online math classes...DON'T!! They will be very difficult, and you will just want to throw your computer, books and papers across the room at some point.

That is all.

I agree. I took an online math class once and it was harder than hell.

I think it depends on the person and the subject. I took advanced math in HS (got up through Calc BC), which required taking home the book and self-teaching 8-10 chapters before junior year and again before senior year. Wasn't easy, but I did it without too much trouble.

On the other hand, I once tried to take a language course online and it went miserably.

All people are different. Online courses work for some people, not others. Everyone will have subjects they succeed at online and ones they don't.

I never understood trig. Fortunately I had a teacher who often used the homework questions for his tests. I literally memorized the homework in order to pass.

Geometry was a bunch of crap. Trigonometry was even more crap but a little less crap too. Crap!

What did you study that you got such a bad grade?

Quote Originally Posted by Point View Post
    Geometry was a bunch of crap. Trigonometry was even more crap but a little less crap too. Crap!
    Without the development of that 'crap', the computer you're typing that junk on wouldn't exist. Both are crucial for a lot of applications in science and engineering which make our way of life possible- and have good paying jobs, too.

Any experience, even one where you fail, is always good in my opinion. If you had taken that test before taking the online courses, what do you think your mark would have been (I'm guessing somewhere in the 0 range?). If it's at least lower than 52%, that means you have benefited from the experience even if not to your expectations. It's like failing a job interview. Yes you lost the job, but you've gained some experience. I probably sound like a guidance counselor, but I really do think the way we look at things has a huge impact on our overall happiness.

Whether you feel what you've gained from the experience was worth the investment in time, energy, and money (unless it was free) I guess is up to you.

Just my $.02 (CAD).

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Without the development of that 'crap', the computer you're typing that junk on wouldn't exist.
    You're junk!

Because of their connection to computer graphics (a subject I loved), trigonometry and linear algebra were my favorite maths. Calculus and differential equations, on the other hand... Ugh... *drifts into repressed memory*

Professor: Ok, this will be a *take-home* quiz...
    Me: (to self) Yesssssss!!!
    Professor: ...and there will no working together!
    Me: (to self) SHIT!!
    *bell rings*
    Classmate: Wanna meet in the <name of hall> common room tonight? You do the odds, I'll do the evens?
    Me: (out loud) Yesssss!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Point View Post
    You're junk!
    I'm also the one who actually knows how to do trig.