Thread: One of the Best Speeches Ever

Default One of the Best Speeches Ever

This is a speech made by Charlie Chaplin in his film, 'The Great Dictator.'

Here's the video:

And here's the words if you wish to read it:

The Speech of The Great Dictator

I thought it was very profound and an amazing speech, and just wow. What are your comments, thoughts, etc.?

Amazing video, I came across this a month or so ago and faved it immediately.
    I love it and found it very inspiring and I think more people need to see this video or just listen to the speech.
    Reminds me of something Alan Watts would say.

When I saw/heard this the first time I almost cried, and it still makes me shiver whenever I see it.
    A speech that should have changed the world.

Disappointment! I was expecting the Herman Cain speech in which he quotes Pokemon: 2000, saying "a poet once said..." Priceless. Next I'm expecting Michelle Bachmann to promise to send her level 80 Gyarados to straighten things out in Pakistan if elected.

But Charlie Chaplin is good, too, one of the greatest comedians the world has known.

The speech was great, but the video was way too heavy-handed in the matter. I found myself a bit turned off by several of the cuts.

For a little context on that speech --

When Charlie Chaplin was working on The Great Dictator, there wasn't much information filtering out of Germany about exactly what was going on. The film took ages to complete (I believe he self-funded a lot of it, due to american interests not wanting to ruffle german feathers) and by the time it was ready for general release the full picture of genocide/etc. in germany was publicly available. Appalled at the situation, and with a movie that suddenly seemed to take light of a very serious matter, he wrote/shot the speech scene to close the film.

But yeah, great speech

Quote Originally Posted by Alphacore View Post
    The speech was great, but the video was way too heavy-handed in the matter. I found myself a bit turned off by several of the cuts.
    really? I found the whole thing to be absolutely spot-on. the video clips were all perfectly placed and very fitting to the content.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    really? I found the whole thing to be absolutely spot-on. the video clips were all perfectly placed and very fitting to the content.
    I guess the problem I had with it was it felt like the video was telling me: WE STILL HAVE THIS STUFF NOW AND THIS IS TOTALLY APPLICABLE OH MY GOD WTF AHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Alphacore View Post
    I guess the problem I had with it was it felt like the video was telling me: WE STILL HAVE THIS STUFF NOW AND THIS IS TOTALLY APPLICABLE OH MY GOD WTF AHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH!
    I see your point. I suppose if you take it just at face value, it can seem...I don't know... argh. i hate it when you need a word but your vocabulary isn't big enough.