Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial - Modding An Abena X-Plus

Default Tutorial - Modding An Abena X-Plus

I've had a few people ask me how I modify my Abena X-Pluses. Rather than keep it private I thought the adisc community might benefit from a quick tutorial - so here it is

This tutorial will explain how to add a printed diaper tape to an Abena X-Plus and how to add an insert pad directly into the Abena itself. Let's start with adding the diaper tape.

First you need to find a tape that you like and print it out. A quick tip - if you want that genuine 90's baby diaper appearance set your printer to 'colour draft' mode. Once you've printed off the tape cut it to size. It should be about an inch wider than the folds in the diaper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diaper-tape.jpg 
Views:	2483 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	6833

Next, cut the corners off the tape! This seems to drastically reduce the chances of the tape getting snagged on anything later and coming loose. It also reduces the risk of the sharp corners piercing the diaper or digging into you or your plastic pants.

You can then attach the tape to the diaper. To do so use strips of standard cellotape. I find the best approach to be to cellotape the sides first, leaving a bit of slack in-between, and then to cellotape the bottom and top edges. Make sure that you attach it to the end of the diaper without the fastening tapes and that you attach it the right way up. You can optionally cover the rest of the diaper tape with cellotape.

Name:	diaper-tape-attached.jpg 
Views:	3343 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	6834

Let's move onto adding the insert. Start by laying out the diaper and the insert next to each other to check the sizing. The insert should be a little bit shorter than the diaper, but no more than a couple of inches.

Name:	stuffing.jpg 
Views:	2808 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	6835

This time you need to work on the end of the diaper with the fastening tapes. From experience I find that this end of the diaper is easier to 'open'. Make sure you are working as close to the edge of the padding as you can. Start by pinching the plastic with your thumb and forefinger. You need to make sure that you get just the outer plastic. When you've got the outer plastic make a small hole using scissors or a pencil.

Name:	small-rip.jpg 
Views:	1399 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	6836

Next, use scissors to widen the hole you just made. The plastic will fight you on this, so be patient and take your time. You should aim to make an opening that extends to the folds in the diaper but no further (or you'll end up leaking).

Name:	ready-for-stuffing.jpg 
Views:	1037 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	6837

Now it's time for the fun bit. Stick your hand through the opening you just made and separate the SAP (the fluffy stuff) from the plastic backing. It should come away fairly easily. Once you've done that grab the insert and slide it through the opening until it's in the centre of the diaper. The easiest way to do this is to just put your arm in through the opening and effectively pull the insert with it.

Once you've done that clean any SAP off your skin (and the floor where you've been working) and cellotape up the opening. This is mainly to prevent SAP escaping, not to prevent leaks. To help allow the diaper to move use lots of small strips of cellotape instead of big long strips.

That's it - your improved diaper is now ready for use! Of course, there's nothing to stop you from adding more than one insert this way (I find 2 or 3 to be good).

Name:	final-diaper.jpg 
Views:	5341 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	6838

Adding the diaper tape is purely cosmetic, but using this approach to stuffing has several benefits. For one, it doesn't compromise the integrity of the leak guards in the same way that putting inserts inside the diaper can do. It also helps to keep the 'all-in-one' diaper feel going. Finally, and I'm not totally sure why, it also seems to reduce the smell from a used diaper.

I hope you find this useful

Cherub

interesting approach on the adding extra padding. I've never added extra padding INTO an Abena diaper before, I've always used a booster pad inside the diaper.

cgh, why would you not make the hole where you put in the insert in the front?

Then you could cover up the hole completely with the printed tape, no?

I've used this same method with Depends and Bambinos boosters (the big ones). With the Depends the back of the diaper will just "open" if you work the rear waist band between the fingers allowing you to insert the booster. I too have found that this is the best way to use a diaper booster. It actually improves the Depends to darn near premium diaper level performance, I mean it's really THAT good. The great thing is that the boosters are cheaper than heck. I haven't had to close the back of the diaper though I'm sure that's the difference between the plastics peeling away and actually making an incision. This trick is magnificent, though I never gave any thought to modding an already premium diaper in this fashion. Kudos and thanks for sharing! I am tempted to try this on my last Molicare now.

Quote Originally Posted by AbenaLeaf View Post
    cgh, why would you not make the hole where you put in the insert in the front? Then you could cover up the hole completely with the printed tape, no?
    The other end of the diaper is much harder to open in my experience (not too sure why). I also prefer to make the opening on the 'back' of the diaper because it's usually the part that's least likely to end up wet and so reduces the chance of leaking

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    interesting approach on the adding extra padding. I've never added extra padding INTO an Abena diaper before, I've always used a booster pad inside the diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Llayden View Post
    This trick is magnificent, though I never gave any thought to modding an already premium diaper in this fashion. Kudos and thanks for sharing! I am tempted to try this on my last Molicare now.
    Thanks for your comments - always happy to share ideas I prefer this approach because it doesn't cause the leak guards to fail like using inserts inside the diaper can. It can also give the diaper a bit more rigidity, which can be good if you're looking to waddle around a bit

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    The other end of the diaper is much harder to open in my experience (not too sure why). I also prefer to make the opening on the 'back' of the diaper because it's usually the part that's least likely to end up wet and so reduces the chance of leaking
    Clever idea overall. I just don't like cutting holes in my diapers for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AbenaLeaf View Post
    Clever idea overall. I just don't like cutting holes in my diapers for any reason.
    I can understand that - it does seem like you're ruining them at first, but once you've finished the mod they're even more awesome than usual

So you also do this because you are allergic to the pad right? Still great idea, I will try it some time soon!

Quote Originally Posted by superduper View Post
    So you also do this because you are allergic to the pad right? Still great idea, I will try it some time soon!
    That's one of the side benefits to this method. If you happen to be allergic to certain stuffers but have quite a few of them this could be a way around that. Be careful though - allergic reactions can be very bad, especially around that region.

Using this method means that the diaper does it's job first, so the dry feeling layers do their work and the leak guards stay where they should be. It also doesn't interfere with the fit of the diaper as much as wearing the insert inside the diaper would do.

Ive done this before, but cutting the inside of the back of the diaper instead of the outside