Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conforming

Default Conforming

Im 17 so maybe to older folks might not know what im talking about but now im seeing more kids listen to hip-hop and rap, the new stuff on the radio. Im a metal head so its not my type of scene. But its just that so many people are going towards this stuff because its what they hear on the radio and its the "popular" thing to do because everyone is doing it. So everyone is conforming to this scene when it seems like it shouldnt be their scene, people need to find their individual self and listen to and dress how they want.

People that ive talked to that listen to this new stuff ill joke around with them and tell them to listen to Whitechapel and The Black Dahlia Murder and see what they think about it. Ofcourse its death metal, and this is the straight up non-joking answer i get "You can't hear what their saying" in my mind all i am thinking is you dont really need to understand what they are saying to be into the music, you can listen more towards the guitar or drums or something.

When i say "everyone" i dont exactly mean everyone i mean like most people you see.

Well, some people are music people, and some are lyrics people. So not being able to hear or understand the words can be a big impediment to some.
    I don't know if I qualify as an old folk to you. But when I was your age, I was proud to be an individual, and I expressed my personality flamboyantly. And I took a lot of flak for being myself. A lot of flak. It struck me at that time that we (teenage guys) who had the reputation of flouting any authority that attempted to reign us in, but yet expected one another to be clones of each other (and the girls seemed to expect us to be clones too). Strange.

From what I've found, "I can't understand what they're saying" is the first reason many come up with that says they don't like it. Generally the vocal lines themselves don't lend well to newcomers because it's rather harsh and difficult to understand. Chances are there's more reasons why they don't care for it but I can't understand them is the most immediate thing that comes to mind.

Not being understood seemed to work for Nirvana though, I still have trouble understanding what they're saying in some of their songs.

Cherub

I have not, do not, nor ever plan to listen to rap/hip-hop music. I don't like that stuff and for good reason. I went to a conference called the 'fearless conference', where they exposed the meanings behind their lyrics and videos. I won't go into detail here because I am sure I will get flamed to pieces, but I'm telling you guys, be careful what you are listening to!!

Nepula! Be you! Don’t be a follower, Go where your imagination and creatively take you and do the best you can. It pays in the long run.

We are the wet ones.
    Resistance is futile.
    You will be diapered

Scootalooo

Quote Originally Posted by Nepula View Post
    Im 17 so maybe to older folks might not know what im talking about but now im seeing more kids listen to hip-hop and rap, the new stuff on the radio. Im a metal head so its not my type of scene. But its just that so many people are going towards this stuff because its what they hear on the radio and its the "popular" thing to do because everyone is doing it. So everyone is conforming to this scene when it seems like it shouldnt be their scene, people need to find their individual self and listen to and dress how they want.

People that ive talked to that listen to this new stuff ill joke around with them and tell them to listen to Whitechapel and The Black Dahlia Murder and see what they think about it. Ofcourse its death metal, and this is the straight up non-joking answer i get "You can't hear what their saying" in my mind all i am thinking is you dont really need to understand what they are saying to be into the music, you can listen more towards the guitar or drums or something.

When i say "everyone" i dont exactly mean everyone i mean like most people you see.
    In my opinion, you shouldn't worry about what people are into. People are all different and all have there own tastes and interests. Personally, I'm not into metal it ain't my scene just like Hip-Hop ain't yours. There's plenty of metal heads out there to share your intrests with though (especailly on adisc I've notcied ever a group).

None of the people my age know the music I like, or really like it but I don't worry because I like it and that's all that matters

littlepacifiergirl

Ok I'm not exactly a fan of metal or that type of music but the people making it have infinitely more respect from me then most hiphop/rap artists. Metal at least expresses something and expands, even if only a little bit, on a musical idea or motif. The point of rap is only to express one's status (money, women, physical strength, guns, etc.) and nothing else. These "artists" are among the most shallow people on the planet and I would be surprised if they come to understand any sort of feeling or emotion at any point in their life. (they are as freud would say the "id." To counteract the "drive by" playing of this music that is so common I have begun to play loud Beethoven out of my car when I am in offending areas (by car stereo is louder, ha!).

Also I shall use this post to cheaply advertise my own preferred genre of music: Concert Music. It's frequently called "classical music " which is a horrible term because it implies that this music style is somehow old and boring or devoid of action or feeling. Quite to the contrary this music is THE most vibrant and rich music there is! To those of you who have never experienced it please listen to this, I promise you will not be bored of it. Thank You

Oh yes and as for conforming; trying to conform to groups may result in these serious side affects: Boring Life, No creativity, Inability to think for oneself, no morality to speak of, imprisonment, mass-murder, inability to experience pleasure, and inability to experience any emotion or feeling at all. I don't think anybody on this site is a "conformist" just pointing out the obvious here.

We all know I'm one of the older members so I won't comment on hip hop, but I'm also a classically trained concert artist. I've been played on NPR and have performed in Alice Tully Hall and Carnegie Hall, NYC. My tastes are eclectic, and I listen to and enjoy many different styles and forms of music.

I've seen decades of musical styles come and go, be invented, change and morph into something else. What bothers me about today's music is that it's cookie cutter, dictated by the producers. I'm sure that many of the young composers have an opportunity to use their music as a means to express themselves and get their message out. But all to often, it seems over produced and a product of chip technology rather than the heart. Soul music was all about the feel, pain, sorrow, love and joy. I hope artists will take back their craft.

I think with self publishing on the net, artists now have a great opportunity to say what they want, evolve their music as they want. I wait for the next big thing.

Cherub

Wow, dogboy, that was very well said! Bravo my friend, Bravo!