Thread: Science Fair

Exclamation Science Fair

Hey guys, I'm in some trouble.

Me and my friend have procrastinated our science fair and it's due tuesday. Any ideas on a high school science fair project that can be done in a weekend and use everyday materials?

Well what grade are you in? What specific science is it for? (biology, physics, chemistry, psychology, etc)?

I have one that I did back in grade 10, I used a permanent marker and marked up 4 separate pieces of the same cloth (all the same cloth though, like a plain blank shirt cut in 4 pieces) and used 4 different things normally used to clean (I can't remember exactly what, but they were common everyday things). And tried to clean the marker off the cloth. I found out which thing cleaned the best and exactly why (decent amount of research required). It's a pretty darn easy experiment, but it requires research to form your conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleIons View Post
    Well what grade are you in? What specific science is it for? (biology, physics, chemistry, psychology, etc)?

I have one that I did back in grade 10, I used a permanent marker and marked up 4 separate pieces of the same cloth (all the same cloth though, like a plain blank shirt cut in 4 pieces) and used 4 different things normally used to clean (I can't remember exactly what, but they were common everyday things). And tried to clean the marker off the cloth. I found out which thing cleaned the best and exactly why (decent amount of research required). It's a pretty darn easy experiment, but it requires research to form your conclusion.
    10th Grade. Chemistry related is preferred. I'm in chem, but I think it can be whatever, but Chemistry to be on the safe side

Guidelines and grade level would be helpful.

Or you could pick your favorite food and do something like this: The T.W.I.N.K.I.E.S. Project

EDIT: Posts crossed--ok, 10th grade. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Guidelines and grade level would be helpful.

Or you could pick your favorite food and do something like this: The T.W.I.N.K.I.E.S. Project

EDIT: Posts crossed--ok, 10th grade. Hmmm...
    At this point simple is good. I can always stay up and make up for it in a good presentation.

Here's a page with a ridiculous number of simple-sounding (but interesting) ideas. In fact, I've done some of these, including making my own musical instruments:

High School Science Fair Projects

There are some chemistry-related ideas in there, too.

Battery life and temperature is a good one. Take a flashlight and three sets of batteries. Take some fresh batteries, put them in a flashlight, turn it on and see how long it takes to go completely out. Record the time you clicked it on, and the time it was dead. Take another set of batteries, put them in the fridge for 6 hours, repeat. Take another set, put them in a zip-top bag in hot water (not boiling, the hottest water out of the tap will suffice) for 10 minutes, repeat. Note that the last two steps will require that you take them out of the flashlight once every hour to reheat/recool. Then you can demonstrate that a batter retains charge relative to temperature: hot, room temp, cold. Since I presume you also need to talk about science, talk about the redox reactions taking place inside a typical battery. For relevance, talk about engineering. Perhaps if temperature affects how well a battery retains charge, it's worthwhile to design electronics and equipment with battery units/compartments located near to or away from components which generate heat.

To add some clout, I teach high school science.

Some kid in my town did something with SAP from diapers and left a baggie of the stuff on the bus. It was a 911 style white powder hazmat situation that made headlines across the state.