Thread: Using a Nicotine Patch to Treat Chronic Nightmares!!!

Talking Using a Nicotine Patch to Treat Chronic Nightmares!!!

Okay, I've been having very disturbing chronic nightmares, nearly every night, usually so vivid or disturbing that I can't get back to sleep.

Well during my stay at the nuthouse, they had me on a nicotine patch. Now, they say you're not supposed to wear it at night, because it gives people "vivid dreams".

Well check this out! I wore it at night, and did indeed have extremely vivid and memorable dreams, but none of them were nightmares!!! Not only has the nicotine patch effectively cured my chronic nightmares, it's actually given me some very interesting dreams.

Has anyone else had any experience sleeping while wearing a nicotine patch, if so, did it give you vivid dreams? (And were they good or bad?)

Mods: Please move this to the appropriate section, if necessary. Since it involves nicotine, and you have to be an adult to use nicotine, this seemed to be the appropriate place.

This is a very interesting way to get rid of nightmares and turn them into pleasant dreams, I've always had bad dreams. Do you think I should try this? Thanks for sharing this. It's very interesting. =)

I haven't... If most people reacted to nicotine like I do, no one would be able to wear one to sleep.

I've tried nicotine as a possible focus aid / etc. It made me incredibly irritable.

Melatonin is supposed to produce vivid dreams.

I take racetams during the day and sometimes a little later at night, and I have vivid dreams more often than I used to. I've heard similar anecdotes.

Personally, what most people consider nightmares, I (very much) enjoy. I only consider dreams unpleasant if they're particularly depressing.

bjm904

Everyone's reaction to nicotine is different. You should talk to your doctor about it.

I absolutely agree about consulting a physician about using any, I mean ANY kind of supplement/drug for anything. As "mild" as it may be, it IS addictive (that's why they're a patch to wean people off it in the first place)

Quote Originally Posted by konaman112 View Post
    I absolutely agree about consulting a physician about using any, I mean ANY kind of supplement/drug for anything. As "mild" as it may be, it IS addictive (that's why they're a patch to wean people off it in the first place)
    It's really a judgement call. There can be downsides to letting a doctor in on the fact that you're willing to take "drugs" for benefits other than curing/treating illnesses. That will have an affect on things he/she will prescribe you in the future. But that depends on your relationship with your doctor, and honestly, most people don't have one.

If we were talking about an illness, sure. Standard answer: go talk to a doctor. Recreational drug use? I wouldn't, unless I was all buddy buddy with one. I mean, would you ask your doctor "Hey, I've got these leftover hydrocodone tablets, and was thinking of taking them as I have some work I really need to get done. What do you think of that?" ? I can tell you what the answer to that will be, and I'm not a doctor. There's not really any incentive for a doctor to give any advice on such topics other than "don't do it", and there's a lot of incentive to give that particular advice. Of course, I am USA biased. Perhaps it's different in other cultures/countries.

What I would do is read up on whatever it is you are thinking of ingesting... "drugs", vitamins, "supplements", whatever. You should know the mechanism of action (if it's known and quite frankly a lot of things that doctors prescribe... no one actually knows how/why they work)... you should read accounts of people that have taken them... etc.

Or you just take your chances and experiment on your own and accept the higher risk involved. I tend to like to do substantial research before I start taking anything, though even with that, I've found many times I'm affected completely differently than most people, and there's no way a doctor would have known that. A lot of treatment is of the "try this and report back" variety.

Anyway, blah blah... I'd hardly say recreational drug use is a default "talk to your doctor" scenario. It'd be nice if it could be though

Quote Originally Posted by konaman112 View Post
    Lol yes, but I smoke cigarettes. I'm a nicotine addict anyway. =P

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LunaCat View Post
    ...doctor ..... your doctor ...... a doctor..... not a doctor...... that doctors.... a doctor would.... "talk to your doctor"
    I don't have any medical insurance, or money. I don't have a doctor, and not for lack of want. I have a lot of medical issues, some relatively serious, and I would be going to the doctor for several things if I could.

So yeah... Can't talk to my doctor about something this trivial, much less other more serious things.