Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Barbecue Thread

Default The Barbecue Thread

So I just woke up from a long, involved dream about opening my own barbecue restaurant- and I'm going through the same type of withdrawal as after the dream where I win the lottery. Unfortunately, it's rather cold this time of year in NJ to fire up the smoker and bang out some meat. Any other barbecue fanatics on ADISC?

I've barbecued in blizzards in Norway and Ohio. There is no such thing as "too cold to barbecue."

Also, I am originally from Georgia, and as such prefer barbecued pork to barbecued beef. Beef, to me, is more for grilling. Pork lends itself to barbecue with the appropriate fat content, as well as the way the sauce develops with the meat. I prefer a mustard/vinegar/pepper-based sauce.

More of a grilling fan than a bbq fan also...

And will agree with the sentiment of never too cold to grill. Actually I think I enjoy grilling up steaks on on my snow covered deck a little more than doing the same in the summer. The excessive heat of the grill combined with the cold around it.. and there is something oddly primal about it.

Best BBQ I ever had was a big party at a friends place.. slow cooked was pork, and they were using the coals from a big fire they had going (and bringing them over to the frame as required).

I'm a Canadian BBQ'er - I've learned from a few good Texans one of which is Dave Klouse. I dream about BBQ in my dreams dreams.. lol

I barbequed some chicken legs once. By some I mean like thirty at the same time. And I didn't know how the barbeque worked so there was this huge fiery explosion and rank smell after I clicked the starter, and not a single eyebrow was lost. And then I burned my hand a bunch.

It tasted great of course but I think I won't be doing that again for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    The excessive heat of the grill combined with the cold around it.. and there is something oddly primal about it.
    Most definitely !
    When I was a young single guy I used to come home from work in the winter, it would be dark and I'd start a small wood fire in the bottom of the grill and cook me a steak for dinner out in the snow. I felt strangely connected to my ancestors of a millennia ago and they were the best tasting steaks I'd ever ate.

Nowadays I have an ugly barrel smoker which I love barbequeing ribs in. It hasn't seen winter service yet, but thanks to the gentle prompting of this thread, that will change sometime this week. Thanks !

I'm not a big barbequer, but I do now and then love some smoked ribs mmmmhmm, brisket is good as well. Personally I like pork better then beef, but I also like beef on the grill better then pork.

ya im crazy for good bbq so much so i built a small smoker trailer in HS a while back

I grill and enjoy it. Living in Virginia, barbecue is big. My roots are in New Jersey, and my day was big on grilling, so I take after him. My son has a smoker and he enjoys barbecuing ribs. Yes...those are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by closet dl View Post
    I've barbecued in blizzards in Norway and Ohio. There is no such thing as "too cold to barbecue."
    Yes, but to me, barbecue without hardwood charcoal is sacrosanct. I could barbecue in 40 degree weather (Fahrenheit), but I'll end up spending more money on sufficient charcoal to maintain temperature than I will on the food I'm cooking. I have a rather basic Brinkmann SnP which is rather prodigal of heat even when its 90 degrees out.

I'll wholly agree with the it's never to cold to grill sentiment, but by this, I mean grill and not barbecue. As long as there's propane in the tank, you can keep a grill hot. Charcoal is much more finicky. Course, I look forward to the day I can buy a Big Green Egg and keep a charcoal fire hot through a blizzard.

---------- Post added at 01:58 ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Best BBQ I ever had was a big party at a friends place.. slow cooked was pork, and they were using the coals from a big fire they had going (and bringing them over to the frame as required).
    Pulled pork is one of the few barbecue items you can actually replicate in the oven pretty well. Get a pork shoulder/boston butt, give it a good brine and rub. This is a rather large cut of meat, but it's cheap on a per pound basis. Preheat the oven to 350 at LEAST two hours before cooking. Put the pork in a roasting pan with a rack and some water in the pan (at least half an inch) and a can of beer. After 30 minutes, reset the oven temperature to 250. Let it go for another 6-8 hours. Don't open the oven unless the liquid evaporates and you get burning on the pan (in which case, add more water immediately). Don't bother taking to temperature until it's been about 5-6 hours total. This is actually a case where it's ok if you shoot past the "done" temperature. Do yourself a favor - VINEGAR barbecue sauce. You can't buy this at a supermarket. Either ask me for a recipe, or do a google search for Cue Culture and buy the carolina style.

You won't get the smoke flavor, but this is some damn good stuff.