Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you suspect you are a sociopath?

Default Do you suspect you are a sociopath?

Someone told me on another forum that lot of people suspect they are sociopaths and that if you are worried about being one, chances are you are not. So I am curious to see if others here think they are one.

I have though for a couple of years I may be one but I don't manipulate people or hurt anyone. I don't do crime either. But I just have too little empathy is why. I often don't feel for others. I can see someone is mad or upset and I just don't feel anything. I don't even feel anything when I read stuff online about things that happen out in the world or things I hear on the news. When my husband is in pain, I feel nothing and sometimes laughs come out of my mouth. When his mother was sick in the hospital, he was very upset and I felt nothing and no concern.

Rarely do I feel what others feel and when that happens, its overwhelming and I feel I can't take it. So I guess it's a good thing I don't have this gift because I sure can't imagine having them all the time, it might get me overloaded and put me into a meltdown because I feel that way all the time whenever it happens and I wonder if this is what people feel all the time because of empathy except they can handle it better. Some people have too much and lot have it in the middle which is average. My husband has a lot of empathy but it doesn't overwhelm him. His dad used to get mad at him because he would know his dad was upset without him showing it. No one else would know except his own son and it pissed him off every time.

And other times I don't think I am one and then I feel I am one.

It depends on what qualifies you to be a sociopath.

At times I wonder if I am a terrible person.

I don't really get as upset by things as many people do.
    I am fairly manipulative when I need to be.
    I don't have a problem calling things like I see them and speaking my mind.

Years ago I dated a girl who I'm pretty sure was a sociopath. Needless to say, I wasn't with her long.
    She spent the vast majority of her time lying to people & manipulating them, chugging vodka, neglecting her son, stealing my rent money, and just generally not giving a damn. If this doesn't sound like you, then I think you're probably okay.

The fact that you care at all normally means you are not a sociopath. It is actually really hard for a normal person to comprehend what being one is like. If you are having problems with empathy and it bothers you just consider seeing a therapist. Plenty of people have issues with empathy, and it normally has to do with the environment they were raised in.

Quote Originally Posted by plenka View Post
    Years ago I dated a girl who I'm pretty sure was a sociopath. Needless to say, I wasn't with her long.
    She spent the vast majority of her time lying to people & manipulating them, chugging vodka, neglecting her son, stealing my rent money, and just generally not giving a damn. If this doesn't sound like you, then I think you're probably okay.
    Probably not. True cases of are not very common. There are a huge number of other conditions that have a similar outcome though. It isn't that the person involved lacks empathy though, normally it is driven by irrational moods, paranoia etc. The difference being one is treatable, though difficult, and the other tends not to be.

People with higher IQ's generally have trains of thought that aren't normal to regular society, might be why serial killers generally have high IQ's. Also could explain why smart people think about whether or not they are crazy.

Eh...sometimes...

I don't love or hate people, I really just don't care.
    In fact, I have a hard time caring about things that aren't important to me.
    May just be irresponsibility, but you can never be sure!

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    It depends on what qualifies you to be a sociopath.

At times I wonder if I am a terrible person.

I don't really get as upset by things as many people do.
    I am fairly manipulative when I need to be.
    I don't have a problem calling things like I see them and speaking my mind.
    Some might consider this similar to a toddler. ^_^

I often find myself in a similar situation. I will wonder if I am a terrible person, or if this is simply normal human nature.

Then, I will usually get to wondering whether or not I can attribute it to liking diapers. I often wonder how this has affect my life, and development. How many of my mannerisms can I say are in some way related to liking diapers, and what are simply from growing up in my environment.

Now, I might be making a case for something that is actually nothing, but it's fun and interesting to think about anyway. I'm only eighteen and still trying to discover who I am in this whole wide world. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Justtrytoguess View Post
    Some might consider this similar to a toddler. ^_^

I often find myself in a similar situation. I will wonder if I am a terrible person, or if this is simply normal human nature.

Then, I will usually get to wondering whether or not I can attribute it to liking diapers. I often wonder how this has affect my life, and development. How many of my mannerisms can I say are in some way related to liking diapers, and what are simply from growing up in my environment.

Now, I might be making a case for something that is actually nothing, but it's fun and interesting to think about anyway. I'm only eighteen and still trying to discover who I am in this whole wide world. ^_^
    Certainly an interesting perspective, hehe.

I think I am a bit sociopathic, sometimes I find myself knowingly manipulating friends, family and even my fiance... I'm not proud of it, but I can't seem to stop.

Sociopath being a peron who shows psychopathic tendencies and exhibits antisocial behaviors. No I don't believe I am. Now being apathetic, basically not giving a damn about anything, very much so.