Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tics

Default Tics

I have stress related tics, that I do on a normal basis. If you don't know what a tic is, think of having the strongest urge to do something and knowing that you get satisfaction every time you do it.
    I have a few that I do:
    -Beating my knuckles together
    -Shaking my hands (mostly if I get paper in my hands, I have to shake the paper)
    -Tapping the top of my head, as you would knock on a door (sometimes it hurts)
    -Clenching my fists and covering my face
    -Taking my hair in my fists and pulling as hard as I can

Yes, I do these on a regular basis. Even to my embarrassment I do them in front of people. I hate having them in public, I always feel like everyone is watching me and that they think I'm insane or have a mental disability.

So my question to you is does any one else here have tics? If you don't what would you think if you saw someone in public doing what I have listed above.

literallegionaire

i used to have neck tics, i would randomly roll my head in a circle and sometimes not even realize it. It would get really embarrassing when i did it in the middle of a sentence O_O

I ALWAYS compulsively chew my fingernails and skin around them, even to the point where they bleed and won't grow back correctly. I absolutely hate it, but as soon as I stop thinking about it I start doing it again, even in front of other people.

cracking my knuckles? not sure if that counts, but i do it compulsively.

i also have this thing where my right inside elbow itches constantly. it's not dry skin or anything, but i'm always scratching at it absent-mindedly. it gets to the point sometimes where it looks like eczema D:

Quote Originally Posted by Mattfox View Post
    For me it's nail biting
    welding
    popping knuckles
    winning [LOL][COLOR="Silver"]
    The only one of those that could be considered a tics is nail biting but that's more often just a habit. the rest are habits that might relieve stress (except for winning). Tics are unconscious actions that help relieve stress often caused by OCD or other anxiety related issues, not habits. Also since this is a serious (and often misunderstood) issue could you please refrain from making light of it. I've actually seen her do it and she can't stop herself so please don't try to turn it into joke.

Yeah I used to have one in my left eye but thankfully that ones all but gone away but I still have a fist clenching, finger taping one, and a hair ruffling one. luckily these are kind of nomale for people to do when flustered so unless people notice how compulsive it is it just looks like i'm stressing. sorry I almost forgot when I get really scared I also get this hiccupy wine thing I let out.
    Last edited by Goofy; 19-Nov-2011 at 02:19. Reason: I forgot one thing

Quote Originally Posted by ChriscoStick View Post
    The only one of those that could be considered a tics is nail biting but that's more often just a habit. the rest are habits that might relieve stress (except for winning). Tics are unconscious actions that help relieve stress often caused by OCD or other anxiety related issues, not habits. Also since this is a serious (and often misunderstood) issue could you please refrain from making light of it. I've actually seen her do it and she can't stop herself so please don't try to turn it into joke.
    Sorry,I didn't mean to upset anyone.

I have a lot of tics. The only physical tic I have is cracking my knuckles all the time. I have a lot of verbal tics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
    I have a lot of tics. The only physical tic I have is cracking my knuckles all the time. I have a lot of verbal tics.
    I don't have any verbal tics... that I know of...

I count the stairs in my house, and if I'm going downstairs I keep counting steps or actions for a little after. 12 steps, every time. I also tap surfaces...and feel anything that looks remotely tactility interesting. (Not people though )