Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pad disintegration in adult diapers?

Default Pad disintegration in adult diapers?

I get this in both Abena X-Plus and Dry 24/7s. If I wear for any length of time, even dry, the pad breaks up about an inch from the top on either side and sags into the crotch a bit, leaving a gap with no pad. Not every brief in a pack does it, but enough that I'm curious if anyone knows what tends to cause it, and if it's avoidable. Occasionally one will come straight out of the package this way as well, makes it harder for me to guess at a cause. Is it really just from moving around?

Do you wear them very loose? The unrestricted motion could cause the padding to shake loose.
    If so try to fit them more snuggly or try to wear some tight boxerbriefs over them.
    Other than that, only manufacturing problems I think.

I mainly use Abena S4 (I like it snug) and I have never had this problem.

This happens to me a fair bit - I suspect it's because I tend to walk a lot and I walk fast. They're probably not really designed to cope with that.

I prefer them snug, and getting the leg bands just right is easy, but the waist band always stretches loose on me in maybe 20 minutes. Is there a trick I'm missing to get the fit right?

And... briefs over a diaper? Inappropriate! I have cute cloth diaper covers if I'm going to do that!

A tip from long term users is to give the diaper a very good shake before putting it on - the way they are compression packs means the filling is consolidated - if you give it a good flick it returns to its more natural state - if you don't it de-compresses when you wear it - I guess it's a matter of choice and personal preference - but they are not designed to be clumped up.

Quote Originally Posted by dayannight View Post
    A tip from long term users is to give the diaper a very good shake before putting it on - the way they are compression packs means the filling is consolidated - if you give it a good flick it returns to its more natural state
    Thanks for the interesting advice, I'll give it a try at the next change! Another way I've found for decompressing diapers is letting them sit out of their package for some time (weeks, or months, the longer the better), which allows them to become fluffier and softer.

I never paid attention to the relationship between compression and clumping-up, and if I had to take a guess I'd have said it worked the opposite way, but I'm definitely going to investigate this.

It seems that the diaper is too heavy or too loose in the crotch. Doesn't necessarily mean you need to put it more snug but having something like plastic pants or boxer shorts would help to lift and support the crotch area of your nappy.

Wearing snug underwear over the diaper helps to reduce the clumping and reduces the extent to which the diaper droops when wet.

Loopygone

Diaperdoublers! or Stuffers! One of those in a nappy tends to help with the clumping issue .

Quote Originally Posted by dayannight View Post
    A tip from long term users is to give the diaper a very good shake before putting it on - the way they are compression packs means the filling is consolidated - if you give it a good flick it returns to its more natural state
    I have an update on this: I tried the shaking technique and, apart from the possibly reduced clumping up, the really huge difference I noticed is that, after a good shake, the padding becomes 10x fluffier and softer than it is in its "just-out-of-the-package" state. Not only this instantly makes it way nicer to wear, but it also allows the padding to swell up more and get squishier when wet ^^

I did so by spreading the diaper open, shaking the front and then the rear holding the wings in my hands, and the middle part by holding the diaper from its ends.

So guys (and gals), shake your diapers before use!

For the record, I tried this on two Abena M4s, a Forma Care X-Plus (not worn yet, just shaked xD) and an old Abriform X-Plus from 2008 (with this one though I had to be careful not shaking too much to avoid the padding disintegrate itself!)