Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for the winter for someone who has never seen snow?

Default Tips for the winter for someone who has never seen snow?

I've spent every winter in PR. PR is summer all year round. So umm any tips? I have gloves and I'm going to modify them so that my cellphone can be used with them on. I have a mask, and will be wearing goggles to prevent my eyes from getting screwy. I'm trying to cover as much skin as possible. I have asthma that gets aggravated by cold airs lack of moisture...I will be visiting the following cities The twin cities in mn, Chicago and Cleveland Ohio. Gonna be fun but I'm trying to be safe...I'm scared honestly so any tips for the culture shock?

Sent from my Android!!!

I live in MN and let me tell you it gets soo cold X3 tourist be careful lol jk (mostly-kinda) goggles shouldn't be necessary unless it goes below -25. But what do you mean by "modify" if you mean cut the tips of the fingers off than don't. Maybe buy a scarf. Be really careful if you drive any where, and just bundle up.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonKiba View Post
    I live in MN and let me tell you it gets soo cold X3 tourist be careful lol jk (mostly-kinda) goggles shouldn't be necessary unless it goes below -25. But what do you mean by "modify" if you mean cut the tips of the fingers off than don't. Maybe buy a scarf. Be really careful if you drive any where, and just bundle up.
    Modify my adding conducive thread. ^^

Sent from my Android!!!

Hi,

you definately need good shoes and socks to keep your feet warm. Nothing worse then cold feet. And warm up by drinking Gluehwein.

Cheers.

i don't think the goggles would be necessary unless you plan on going skiing. if it's too windy, just wear a pair of sunglasses.
    always wear 2 layers. bring extra socks.

i think you'll find that you're not going to be using your phone much outside, so i wouldn't risk modding your gloves. it might make them innefective.
    also, make sure everything is comfortable before you wear it.

one other thing: you're going to be cold. if you aren't used to being chilled, then it'll be uncomfortable. you'll have to get used to being slightly chilled.

Goggles are excessive. You'll be the only one wearing them.

Typical outdoors attire in the colder climates consists of a winter hat, snow gloves/mittens, a winter coat with hoodie/sweatshirt underneath, and pants. You need boots of some kind which can handle snow; these can be actual tall snow boots or just more general heavy waterproof boots of some sort (I personally love my hiking boots with a passion).

Ultimately, unless you're planning on going camping or skiing, you're basically going to be moving from the heated space of buildings to the heated space of cars to the heated space of buildings, and you're never going to be forced to be outside for an extended period of time. You don't need to overly fret about clothing beyond having the basics.

I'd second what what Chucky said about good , insulated socks and shoes. Maybe should pack some long johns also. And a hat that covers your ears. When are you going to be around? The weather's not too unseasonable now but if you're talking December or January, could be some snow to deal with also by then.

Snow is one of nature's way of saying, "I have many ways to make your life unpleasant". Well, along with tornadoes and stuff. It falls out of the sky and makes everything suck for a few months and then goes away. At least that's what I hear, because I, like you, have had enough days with snow in them to count on my finger. And I lost that finger in the war so I dunno how I'll count them, I guess there aren't any.

If I were moving to a place with lots of snow I'd invest in some thermoses or something to have a warm drink around. Also some ridiculous puffy waterproof jackets or something. And gloves, etc!

Just a quick note to people, you are talking to someone who lives in a very tropical climate. He lives in a place that likely seldom ever drops below 70 or so degrees. I imagine people in Puerto Rico would feel as though they were in frigid temperatures in a mere 55 degrees.

In other words, do not underestimate the shock he may encounter.
    The goggles? I say they're a good idea. Sure, he may look a bit funny to some of the locals, but people from hot climates can actually have major health problems in temperatures that people who live in states like ours wouldn't have a problem with. A 60 degree day for us may call for, at most, a light jacket. A 60 day for him, on the other hand, would likely call for a winter coat and gloves!

So, my recommendation: get a winter coat and bring long pants. Those should do you some good in the coldest of temperatures. Warm winter boots and thick socks are essential, too. Snow, as beautiful as it is, is quite cold and can become dangerous. A scarf and a good winter hat will do wonders. The hat is also fairly important, since warm air rises and we tend to loose heat through the tops of our heads when it gets really cold. Having something to trap it in will be quite beneficial. Those are all good starts, I would say. Aside from that, do what the locals do and stay inside where there's a heater.

I hope things go well and you enjoy your trip.

Thanks everyone the main thing is I plan on walking all over these cities! I will be outside for couple hours at least. So yeah...:/ than for the recommendations. I already own the goggles might as well use them!

Sent from my Android!!!