Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Miss?(A Nostalgia Thread)

Default What Do You Miss?(A Nostalgia Thread)

Please bear with me....feeling a bit nostalgic this evening. What do I miss from my early childhood? For one, I miss going shopping with my mother in the big downtown department stores. I can still remember her and I getting on a streetcar (we lived along one of the last few lines operating in Baltimore) and riding downtown. The department stores seemed bigger than life to a pre-schooler. This Youtube video from Japan reminds me so much of the stores we would go in, with women who worked as operators and elevator announcer/coordinators back before the days of automated elevators. Only difference is they didn't do any bowing over here.

YouTube - Crazy Japanese Jobs

I also miss the toys I had as a young child - tonka toys, tricycle, wagon, along with other toys. I've bought replacements on ebay for a couple of them like my wagon and toy accordian, and have constantly looked for other replacements as well. I always took very good care of my toys, keeping them in near mint condition. I plan on restoring the toys I've replaced them with to near new condition - just the way mine would still have been if I still had them.

Too, I miss neighborhood grocery shopping with my mom, riding up the street in my stroller (still have vague memories of it) and enjoying the rhymic bump-bump sound of the wheels over the sidewalk joints and cracks. The old A&P grocery store down the street was housed in the basement of two adjoining buildings. Up the other way on our street was an Acme supermarket. Nice thing about the Acme trip was where the street crossed over the Western Maryland RR and I'd always hoped we'd see a train going underneath.

Finally, I miss settling down in bed in the front bedroom of our house, being lulled to sleep by the singing wires as the streetcars rumbled by in the night, with light shadows from the windows moving around the room from the head lights. As I mentioned in the "Would You Like To Be a Baby Again" thread, I would love to relive a few of those pre-school age days all over again.

Unfortunately, my early home went down hill, becoming one of the most crime and drug infested neighborhoods on the westside of town. Last time I rode through there on company business (1983) it was hardly recognizable. Stores where we shopped had their windows all bricked up with little peep holes for windows now, or else they were boarded up completely. The houses where we lived were falling apart, looking nothing like the way they do in old photos we have. It was very depressing for me to see my early childhood home all but destroyed. Even the streetcars that I rode and fell asleep by were long gone, being replaced by busses in late 1963. Depressing indeed.
    Then I see streetcar videos, like this one from Philadelphia, and it brings back such a flood of tram riding memories since we had these same PCC trolleys in Baltimore, though a slightly different version.

YouTube - Septa PCC II's

Yeah, I have a problem living in the past sometimes. Is there anything you really miss about your early childhood you'd like to share?

~Pramrider

The T.V shows the awsome shows that were nickelodeon & Cartoon Network.

Have you seen these new shows? They are trippy.

EmeraldsAndLime

I miss the old cartoons... There is this show here called Saturday Disney and it was the only show that'd play all the great, awesome cartoons that I liked. Every Saturday I made a special effort to get up out of bed early and watch it.

Then after a while they started replacing the shows with one's I didn't like... eventually getting to the point where I couldn't stand it. Now they play those crappy CGI, 3D kids shows which I think just look stupid. Also, the show used to just be cartoons with small "filler" segments in between, as well as a mail bag and drawings and I think they had a short cooking segment. Now it's all this interviews, gags and other boring stuff to fill in the gaps.

*sighs* Such good memories from that show... I don't watch it now though because I like to keep those memories intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy_Jonas View Post
    The T.V shows the awsome shows that were nickelodeon & Cartoon Network.

Have you seen these new shows? They are trippy.
    Seconded. I don't remember any specific examples right now, but the new shows now are just not as good. XD;

Quote Originally Posted by Neonite View Post
    Seconded. I don't remember any specific examples right now, but the new shows now are just not as good. XD;
    Hey Arnold , All That ( this show was the reason i wanted to do theatre), Catdog , Johnny Bravo , Powerpuff Girls , Captin Planet , The Big Comfy Couch , ugh there are more but i cant remeber those were my fav.

Weeble wobbles, Invader Zim...That's all I can think of at the moment

Secret

had these same PCC trolleys in Baltimore,
    Yeah parts of Baltimore have really gone to hell havent they. other parts are rising up though.

I've always wished that I could relive a week with my parents 10 years younger than they are now (now my mom is 50, dad is 46). It's sad for me to watch them age and become less energetic with more health problems over the years. What I also miss from 10 years ago is the same town I live in now. My town was basically in the middle of nowhere with tons of farm land back in the day, now there's tons of traffic and shit. It was so peaceful back then.

I miss commercials from the 90s, they had a charm that can't be matched with all the special effects and crap that are in commercials today. Nickelodeon was also at it's prime, and all the "good" shows that they show now jumped the shark a couple years ago.

I miss my friend that lived next door to me. I met him when I was 4 and we would play imagination games in his backyard and feed ants to huge ass spiders. Those were the days Believe it or not, my friend next door was the one who got me into being a DL (if you want the story PM me)

And last but not least, I miss the dreams and nightmares I had as a little kid. They were so weird and creative, it just blows my mind thinking about how cool they really were. My dreams have sucked ever since I hit puberty.

*sigh* Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be. Most of you people aren't old enough to be nostalgic yet.

I miss Lincoln Logs made out of wood.
    Rushing home from school to hopefully catch the end of the Cubs game, WGN televised almost the games, and all the home games were day games.
    Going on vacations that involved driving all of the country.
    Being able as a kid to run around the neighborhood all day long, until the streetlights came on and not worrying about who was out there.
    The time before video games, VCRs, DVDs, DVRs, PC's, etc. When playing meant running around, or making up thing up.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    Then I see streetcar videos, like this one from Philadelphia, and it brings back such a flood of tram riding memories since we had these same PCC trolleys in Baltimore, though a slightly different version.

YouTube - Septa PCC II's

Yeah, I have a problem living in the past sometimes. Is there anything you really miss about your early childhood you'd like to share?
    Well, now you have Light Rail:

YouTube - Baltimore Light Rail - Part 1

If they hadn't completely scrapped the old streetcar system but gradually updated it, it would probably still look like today's light rail system. That's what happened all over Europe too.

Ever been to the Baltimore Streetcar Museum? I have - they should still have old Baltimore PCCs left.

Peachy