Thread: 20 years ago a pack of new diapers had a certain scent but dont anymore. what was that scent?

Default 20 years ago a pack of new diapers had a certain scent but dont anymore. what was that scent?

I can remember that it didnt really matter what brand they were but back in the day, new diapers had a strong scent, but none anymore seem to, pampers still has a little bit of scent, but not like the diapers of yesteryear. Does anyone know what they were made with or what they added to them to give them that distinct smell, I remember the smell and it was always a big turn on. Please no smart comments here about what makes diapers smell, I phrased this question as carefully as I could but know it will be open to smart a** comments, Remember new diaper smell not used diaper smell!! haha

Today's Luvs diapers have a pretty strong scent that reminds me quite a bit of the late-80's/early-90's diapers. It would be a real stretch for me to guess what that scent is, exactly, but it's more of a chemical deodorizer scent than what Pampers smell like (to me). Pampers--especially Baby Dry--smell much more like baby powder. Huggies has almost completely done away with scents, from what I can tell. Or else my nose is just too old to detect it!

I'm a little surprised that you think the Pampers of today don't have much scent. I think they have A LOT of scent! Enough to be a problem for those who have to hide their diapers, in fact. Luvs are definitely the "worst" (from a non-discreetness point of... smell), but even Pampers just beg to be found wherever you hide them. I keep my stash in a box inside of a plastic bag in my car trunk, in large part to cope with the creeping scent of Luvs and Pampers. I remember buying a bag of Luvs sometime in the 1990-93 time frame, hiding them in the back of one of my desk drawers, and then being horrified when I returned to my room an hour later to find that my entire bedroom smelled like Luvs! They're as troublesome in that regard today as they were back then.

I bought a giant box of Pampers Cruisers "3-Way Fit" recently and they seem to smell even stronger than the old Cruisers I used to buy in 12-count bags at the grocery store. They're inside the house only as long as I'm wearing them, and then they're bagged and out of there!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Today's Luvs diapers have a pretty strong scent that reminds me quite a bit of the late-80's/early-90's diapers. It would be a real stretch for me to guess what that scent is, exactly, but it's more of a chemical deodorizer scent than what Pampers smell like (to me). Pampers--especially Baby Dry--smell much more like baby powder. Huggies has almost completely done away with scents, from what I can tell. Or else my nose is just too old to detect it!

I'm a little surprised that you think the Pampers of today don't have much scent. I think they have A LOT of scent! Enough to be a problem for those who have to hide their diapers, in fact. Luvs are definitely the "worst" (from a non-discreetness point of... smell), but even Pampers just beg to be found wherever you hide them. I keep my stash in a box inside of a plastic bag in my car trunk, in large part to cope with the creeping scent of Luvs and Pampers. I remember buying a bag of Luvs sometime in the 1990-93 time frame, hiding them in the back of one of my desk drawers, and then being horrified when I returned to my room an hour later to find that my entire bedroom smelled like Luvs! They're as troublesome in that regard today as they were back them, IMO.

I bought a giant box of Pampers Cruisers "3-Way Fit" recently and they seem to smell even stronger than the old Cruisers I used to buy in 12-count bags at the grocery store. They're inside the house only as long as I'm wearing them, and then they're bagged and out of there!
    luvs have a strong smell eh?
    hmm... what's the maximum waist size if you can remember?

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    luvs have a strong smell eh?
    hmm... what's the maximum waist size if you can remember?
    Oh boy, hmmm... I'll let you know when I get my next package of Luvs! The general answer is: A good deal smaller than Pampers Baby Dry, and much smaller than Cruisers. All of my attempts to stretch Luvs ended with popped tapes well before I would even have attempted to put them on. I wore them in underwear instead. I have a 38" waist--44" where the size 6/7 diapers land, though! (hips+butt) Only Cruisers can cope reliably with that.

Cherub

I would venture to guess, that with the increased awareness of allergies and such,,that that might be why some manufactures have toned down their scents. I remember the scents you are referring to and I also agree that it was a very pleasant scent. I am not sure if some online suppliers are able to 're-create't at scent or not. I haven't ordered any of the scent additives for AB/DL diapers.