Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just found out same sex marriage is illegal.

Default Just found out same sex marriage is illegal.

Yeah. Damn government commanding how people should live their lives. Personally, I'm not homosexual, but I do believe that homosexuals do have the right to be happy. I mean, that just contradicts the First Amendment! Freedom of expression!!!!!!!

Who else thinks it's gay? (No pun intended)

Not to get into a religious debate but even if it was legalised doesn't mean that same sex marriages would happen. They could occur from a legal point of view but in the traditional marriage ceremony, they wouldn't be allowed to happen.

However, i do find the fact that it isn't accepted and illegal to be something that is not really right at all. As you rightly put, people have a right to be happy with who they want.

In Canada and a number of other countries and in a few U.S. states where same-sex marriage is legal, such marriages do occur. Some religious authorities will not perform the ceremonies, but civil authorities and other religious authorities will do so.

You may not be homosexual, but you may be affected by this discriminatory "law" too, being transgender. (Though same sex marriage is legal in some places.)
    I think religions need to butt out of government and other people's lives. And people need to get over themselves and quit trying to run the lives of others.

Basically what everyone above me has said. Religion has absolutely no right to be in the government. We have many different religions in the US, and the fact that they allow any of them to have even the slightest hold in the government is stupid.

AmbezeSubHealth

PrettyFox replied immediately after ShippoFox

My primary gripe about religion is it's incompetence when it comes to staying out of politics.

actually, never mind.
    Last edited by ZakRoo; 09-Nov-2011 at 05:25. Reason: realized that i'm dumb.

Tolerance is a good thing. Consider this, however: should the federal government recognize same-sex marriages, would that then requires churches inside the country to also recognize those marriages? Is it even ethical, or legal, to do so? On the subject of Civil Unions I have but one thing to say: "Separate but Equal."

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    Tolerance is a good thing. Consider this, however: should the federal government recognize same-sex marriages, would that then requires churches inside the country to also recognize those marriages? Is it even ethical, or legal, to do so? On the subject of Civil Unions I have but one thing to say: "Separate but Equal."
    kay. this country (talking about america) is supposedly founded upon the principle of "everyone is created equal." so why, pray tell, can opposite-sex unions call it marriage but same-sex unions must be called a "civil union?"
    i only have one thing to say: the church can fuck off. they're free to move to canada or something where the rules are different, but the founding fathers knew what the hell they were doing when they said that there must be a separation between church and state.

"separate but equal" works about as well as communism, IMHO. great on paper, but not so good in practice.
    the whole "civil union" thing is just a way to appease the religious nutjobs in this country who won't accept that people who are different can have the same thing as them. (note: i'm not saying that ALL religious people are nutjobs.)

i cannot stress enough the point that religion SHOULD NOT dictate government. it should take ABSOLUTELY NO PART in it. none. zip. zero.

also @traemo: the legality/ethicality of "forcing" same-sex marriage on the church is a load of bullcrap. they can deal with it or they can gtfo.
    that's pretty much the standard of thinking for anything else in this country right now: taxes, laws, etc.

How about just get marriage out of the government all together as it religious matter any way and from a fed and state lvl treat all unions samesex or otherwise as equal under the law.