Thread: Snow blowers: New or Used

Cherub

Default Snow blowers: New or Used

I recently had to tear my Toro 421 2-stage slow blower into two pieces (drive chassis and auger chassis) to replace the impeller bearing (the part that actually throws the snow out the chute). It was fun to do it and I saved myself about $200 by doing the repair myself. I would love to go out and buy a brand new 12 or 14 horse power snow blower, but I can't exactly afford one of those this year, so I have to repair the ones I have.

I have two small 2-stage snow blowers:
    Toro 521 (5 horse power engine with a 21 inch intake)
    Toro 421 (4 horse power engine with a 21 inch intake)

So, who else has a snow blower? Has anyone repaired their blowers by their self or had a shop repair it? What brand ans size blower do you folks have?

What do you like or dislike about snow blowing?
    I hate it when you come to the street corner an the wind changes direction and blows the snow back into your face!

I saw there was no other threads about snow blowers and thought it'd be an interesting topic since winter is fast approaching.

I used to use my dad's snowblower in the winter until my parents' divorce.
    it was pretty big, like 30" or something. 2 stage, self-propelled. it was great. sometimes, i'd fantasize about making a little cart thing to stand on that would hook onto the back, so that i wouldn't even have to walk

i'm pretty mechanically inclined, so i could probably take it apart if i wanted to, but i never had to. (it was mostly just replacing the pins that held the augers still on the axle)
    i did have the opportunity to tear apart a gas pressure washer once. it's interesting how simplistic it is, actually.

i absolutely LOVE snowblowing. something about the hundreds of pounds of snow that are just thrown aside with such ease.
    i never really had a problem with wind direction changes, because the chute was positioned at such an angle that the snow exited parallel to the ground. it was also such a powerful motor that the snow that exited was packed to the consistency of about a snowball.
    and YES, i did occasionally aim the chute at people.

i never had any trouble with the snow in my face either... i just wore a thick jacket with a facemask and ski goggles.

I had a large Sears snow thrower when I lived in Ohio. I bought it after we had a winter with an accumulated snowfall of over 8 feet. The next winter we had maybe an acc. of 1 foot. Apparently I bought an insurance policy against it snowing. The next year I moved to Virginia. I sold the snow thrower before the move.

I have used and fixed my grandparents snow blower a good number of times, mainly shear pins when it's late and your only half way through blowing snow.
    I did replace the auger chain to, but the snow came I live out in the country and across the hwy from my grandparents so we do our yard with it as well.
    the snow blower itself is a 7-8 foot wide Farm King, and we power it with a 80hp John Deere 3130 made in the 70's, it has a cab but nooooo heat or lights anymore so I bundle up and since it is usually dark when I blow snow, I have to use a flashlight and the yard light:P So blowing snow can be lots of fun

I was a Toro "Master Service Dealer" in the 80s (closed up shop in 90) so I know em well. We also sold Ariens and IH Cub Cadet. I still have a old 826 with the steering clutches but use my Bobcat loader for most snows. My Toro S-140 is my faverite snowthrower.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    I was a Toro "Master Service Dealer" in the 80s (closed up shop in 90) so I know em well.
    Oh oh, I am SOOOO glad you posted NamRepaid! I ran into a slight problem with my Toro 521. Long story short: The original engine on the 521 had a bad governor. So I dismounted it and bought another engine from a friend.

I mounted the newer engine onto the chassis of my 521. I noticed that the pullies don't line up. I couldn't figure it out, then I realized that the engine I took off was an "F" series and the engine I installed is a "J" series (last letter in the serial number). Both engines are from Toro 521s.

Old engine: HS50 67259F
    New engine:HS50 67259J

My question is: How can I get the motor pulley to line up with the auger and drive pullies? I thought about taking the engine off and cutting about 1/8" off the crank shaft, then reinstalling the motor pulley. Do you have any suggestions of ideas I could try?

I'd have to do a lot of research to find the difference but a true govener failure is a very rare thing, it is likely a linkage issue. Improper adjustment can melt the govener spool to the snap ring in it's post. If it is the gov. it is easily replaced & a cheep plastic part. I noted the # and if I get time I'll look at the crank drawings.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    I'd have to do a lot of research to find the difference but a true govener failure is a very rare thing, it is likely a linkage issue. Improper adjustment can melt the govener spool to the snap ring in it's post. If it is the gov. it is easily replaced & a cheep plastic part. I noted the # and if I get time I'll look at the crank drawings.
    Thank you! Any help you could provide me with wold be greatly appreciated! However, don't trouble yourself with looking into the governor issue. I got rid of that engine last winter. It's probably in some scrap metal yard some where by now. The only engine I have is the "J" series,,,which is currently mounted to the older 521 chassis.

(sorry guys, I really hope I didn't hijack this thread or derail it,,but to find help with this issue while on ADSIC,,is awesome! One AB helping out another,,yea,,awesome!

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    (sorry guys, I really hope I didn't hijack this thread or derail it,,but to find help with this issue while on ADSIC,,is awesome! One AB helping out another,,yea,,awesome!
    So long as your blower likes diapers, it's cool.

I like doing my own repair work, but I've not done a snow blower.

My parents have a Toro (unsure of the number) walk-behind snow blower, but it rarely gets used. It's only around 24" wide and it would take hours to do everything. My dad has a snow blower attachment for his tractor and my grandfather recently got himself a new toy. His machine actually has the snow blower mounted on the front (bucket gets taken off in the fall) instead of the back to make it easier to plow, but the one in this video is otherwise pretty similar: John Deere Snowblower - YouTube

He keeps telling me I get to blow snow for him this winter : )))