Thread: Tips on how to make your modern day baby diaper fit and look like one from the earlier days

Default Tips on how to make your modern day baby diaper fit and look like one from the earlier days

For me baby diapers are what I like to wear, I am not really big though, about a 33 inch waist. First tip I have is if the diaper does not fit you and you are about my size, you can take the tabs off of another diaper and add them for length and then it will fit. Second tip I have is: basically all diapers today are clothlike, and that takes the experience away for me, because when I was little they were more of a plastic cover, so here is what I figured out to do, buy a store brand generic diaper, you may have to try a couple different brands to find one that you like, and you can carefully remove the cloth cover from the outside of the diaper, which will reveal a plastic outer lining like the diapers of yesteryear. Just be careful to only remove the cloth off of the main part of the diaper and leave the cloth covering around the tab area to keep the tab strong. I am sure most of you know this but thought it may be helpful advice for someone who is into the retro baby diapers. You cannot do this with huggies or pampers, I think the cheaper the diaper the better.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    For me baby diapers are what I like to wear, I am not really big though, about a 33 inch waist. First tip I have is if the diaper does not fit you and you are about my size, you can take the tabs off of another diaper and add them for length and then it will fit.
    Definitely try just stretching into Pampers Cruisers size 7 if you haven't already. The tapes can reach to 39-40" apart if you take a minute to slowly pre-stretch them. Yes, you read that correctly! Add to that the 7" landing strip in front, and Pampers can be fairly accommodating. (The length is the real problem!) I have a 38" waist and I put on Cruisers size 7 quite frequently without any modifications. They ride pretty low, but they stay on. As an extreme example of Pampers stretchiness, I once peeled the fabric outer layers off of the elastic (which you can do to get another inch or so of stretch--Pampers elastic is just a rubber strip with a fuzzy fabric layer on each side) on an Extra Protection size *5* diaper, and was able to tape it on. In that case, the tapes didn't quite make it to the landing zone in front as they do on Cruisers 7, but they still held tight to the small wings on the front of the diaper. However, size 5 diapers ride too low on me to stay up.

Pampers ftw!

But with Huggies and other less stretchy diapers, your suggestion is a fine one. I would add that, with some care, the tabs you borrow from another diaper can be easily be reused 5-10 times so that you're not using up two diapers every time you want to wear one.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    You cannot do this with huggies or pampers, I think the cheaper the diaper the better.
    Actually, it's *extremely* easy to do this with Pampers. Here's a video by Pamperchu (ADISC member) that, among other things, shows how this is done using the very latest incarnation of Pampers Cruisers:
    Pamperchu's review of Cruisers 7 3-Way Fit

It also works with Pampers Baby Dry and Extra Protection. But you're correct about Huggies.

Are pampers size 7 really that flexible? Could they fit a waist size 32?

Quote Originally Posted by FriedTurkey View Post
    Are pampers size 7 really that flexible? Could they fit a waist size 32?
    Well, before anybody jumps on here and attempts to rigorously define "fit," let me say: You could easily "put on" a Pampers Cruisers 7.

To eliminate any remaining doubt, here's a picture a Cruisers 7 diaper that I took just minutes ago. In this picture, the back of the diaper is stretched to a ridiculous 41" end-to-end (about 40" between the velcro portions of the tabs):

Though it's a little hard to tell, I have also removed the fabric cover of the diaper except right between the tapes and under the front landing zone.

To get an extra inch or so of stretch, you can remove the fabric cover from the elastic, too. This is tricky with Cruisers. For whatever reason, I have a much easier time with doing this on Extra Protection, though I seldom bother:

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Well, before anybody jumps on here and attempts to rigorously define "fit," let me say: You could easily "put on" a Pampers Cruisers 7.
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain.