Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling BS on the threads

Default Calling BS on the threads

I've actually been wanting to start a conversation like this for a while. After a thread was closed down due to an intro thread being called out and other people taking umbridge, the mod suggested starting a thread here so I took the liberty.

So, I'll start the thread off by suggesting that the line between fantasy and reality can get very blurred. Not just in this forum of course, but in most forums with this theme I think it's safe to say that some posts can send up red flags right away.

And for reference, here is the thread that was shut down. But it's just one of many such threads.

Discuss.
    Last edited by NateSean; 02-Nov-2011 at 14:02. Reason: To include a link.

It really irks me when respected and established members of adisc call out BS in ways that even the most short sighted person could see will start a troll thread or flame war.

This is of course not directed at anyone particularly but when we have an article on the site to make sure its done in the most unabrassive manner as possible its a sad thing to see people using the phrase "I call BS" like it's a game of bingo. Especially when the previously mentioned article specifically says not to.

One of the major advantages of this forum compared to others that I frequent is it's commitment to providing a troll/flame free environment while at the same time not feeling like its run by a bunch of stormtroopers. When a board publically viewable by anyone with an internet connection has this sort of thing on it, it doesnt really make us out to be much of a support community.

On the other hand I think the general attirude on posters postinf this sort of thing is "they were never going to add tanything anyway, so we might as well tell them to gtfo now". This though rather judgemental probably isnt too far from the truth most of the time.

At the same time though if people can see us as being tactful, respectful, and polite to everyone, including those that appear to be lying it helps us be that much more of a support community.

I hope it doesnt sound like I'm trying to be someones mother, preaching, or "diapers r srs bizness" but, those are my thoughts on the matter.

As I remember, Moo added to the rules "Don't tell other posters their story didn't happen." Pointing out logical inconsistencies (so you were diapered by your girlfriend? or your sister? do you have one of those families?) and potential exaggerations (your teacher diapered you in front of the whole class? really?) are ok, but "Bullshit, that didn't happen" is a violation of the rules and grounds for negrep.

When I see such posts, I usually neutral rep it with a condensed version of the above. I'd probably negrep it if the person was also being an asshole about it.

Frankly, I can understand why people in the community are inclined to call BS on threads like this. I mean, of course there's a chance that they're actually telling the truth, but we've all seen too many horribly plotted fictional diaper stories... if someone tries to claim something that could be extracted directly from one of those stories as real, then our alarm signals go off. We get annoyed by fakers, by people that want to show off their fantasies and pretend they're actually real. In short, we just hate liars because their stories are so commonplace.

The three questions we need to ask, though, are these:

- What are the odds that the story and the person behind the story are legitimate? (we call this number between 0 and 1 'L')
    - What are the negative effects when someone that posts a true story is incorrectly assumed to be a faker? (we can use any scale for this as long as we use the same scale for the next question - let's call this number 'A')
    - What are the negative effects when someone that posts a phony story is being believed? (let's call this number 'B')

The question whether we should treat a certain story as being true or not, can be answered by a simple formula:

X = [L*A] - [(1-L)*B]

If X is positive, we should believe it. If X is negative, we should treat the story as being fake.

But that's just my mathematical stance on all this.

--

EDIT: @NightFox, I agree that you shouldn't literally say 'bullshit' due to offensiveness, but I don't see why it would be wrong, if X is negative, to tell people 'I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe your story, because [insert inconsistencies and improbable events here]'.

Quote Originally Posted by Albasion View Post
    EDIT: @NightFox, I agree that you shouldn't literally say 'bullshit' due to offensiveness, but I don't see why it would be wrong, if X is negative, to tell people 'I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe your story, because [insert inconsistencies and improbable events here]'.
    While I love your approach- trust me, using math to solve such a problem makes me wish we could bone- I'm just stating what I understand the rules of the forum to be. Moreover, I personally think that simply pointing out inconsistencies and improbable events is sufficient. If the person accused let's it go or comes back with even more ridiculous circumstances, then I think we can all make our own conclusions. But it leaves a door open for the person to explain further without being accused in the case that the thing actually did happen. Trust me, I have one or two stories that no one here would ever believe.

I think the problem lies with the fact that very few people take the time to read the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    I think the problem lies with the fact that very few people take the time to read the rules.
    The problem is this is the internet, hardly anyone cares about whatever rules a admin puts up. For every topic that gets closed down, a few posts before a admin comes in saying "Hey guys, this isn't cool". 2-3 hours later, boom it's closed.

Really I think Adisc is getting "soft" on this. Not to mention it seems as a fourm we don't talk about diaper related stuff often and when we do it's sometimes "which position should I bow in to shove a banana!".

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    While I love your approach- trust me, using math to solve such a problem makes me wish we could bone- I'm just stating what I understand the rules of the forum to be. Moreover, I personally think that simply pointing out inconsistencies and improbable events is sufficient. If the person accused let's it go or comes back with even more ridiculous circumstances, then I think we can all make our own conclusions. But it leaves a door open for the person to explain further without being accused in the case that the thing actually did happen. Trust me, I have one or two stories that no one here would ever believe.
    Thanks for the heads up. =P

But yeah, I guess you're right. Pointing out those inconsistencies should be enough to debunk the story _or_ get a reasonable explanation, if X is negative. But to play devil's advocate a little, I have to point out that it's sometimes just very tempting to 'call BS', even though doing that wouldn't align with the general ADISC mentality as I know it (nor with the rules). I guess we all have to resist that. =P

Also, if you posted an improbable story L might be relatively low, but A is pretty large, because you're a respected member of this community with a lot of rep and no track record as a liar, which might make X positive in the end. ^^

Rather than speculating on our current policies regarding this issue, I would suggest that people read our article on the topic, "How to Deal with Fishy Claims".

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    Rather than speculating on our current policies regarding this issue, I would suggest that people read our article on the topic, "How to Deal with Fishy Claims".
    It wasn't my intention to challenge or debate the policies of the admins. I apologize if that's what this thread heads for, but my real goal is to keep the discussion focused on the nature of calling people out regardless of the actual printed rules.

Really I think Adisc is getting "soft" on this.
    As in, we shouldn't be doing something because someone got handed an infraction for it once. We should act a certain way because we ourselves are mature people who want to be treated with respect on a forum full of people who would otherwise be ostracized by the general public.

For the record, I do try to be as direct and respectful as possible when I find a post questionable. Particularly, it's the introductory post that deserves the most attention since I remember my own first post in this forum. I had sited a certain website that will remain nameless for the purposes of this discussion and I hadn't known the taboo. While it wasn't my intention to disrupt the atmosphere of the forum, I had crossed an invisible line and I decided I didn't want to just leave. So I made an actual intro post that was more acceptable.

On that basis, I try to give helpful criticism to people who start out. IE: What do you do, what makes you tick, etc.

When it's a story like that which we are discussing, I point out why it seems questionable, but I also try to give them an out for explaining themselves. For example a young lady insisted her mother diapered and changed her. I asked if she was disabled, which she didn't mention until a few posts in different discussions. Granted, I might have just fueled her fantasy, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt.

What really grates me is when someone rushes to a poster's defense no matter how rational my response was, assuming that I'm criticizing all and not just the one. I don't know if that makes sense at all.