Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult Light Up Trainers - Success

Talking Adult Light Up Trainers - Success

One of things I remember vividly from my toddler years is having light up trainers (sneakers for Americans) - the ones that flash when you walk. After finally coming to the conclusion that you just can't buy these in adult sizes I resolved to make my own.

For this first attempt I decided that the easiest solution would be to find a pair of light up kids trainers, take them to bits and transfer the lighting system into an pair of adult sized trainers. However, trends must have changed since I was young - there are very few light up trainers available now even for kids. After much searching I found these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kids_trainer.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	6465

Each shoe has three LEDs in a plastic bubble and an on/off switch. I armed myself with a craft knife and started to remove the lighting system from one of the shoes. This turned out to be a lot easier said than done - the wiring is very fragile and the shoes are full of glue.

The lighting system is very simple. A small sealed circuit board (the control module) houses a motion switch, a button-cell battery and a tiny microchip. The LEDs and switch are all connected to it via extremely thin cable. The module was about 6mm thick and around 2cm square. Contrary to my expectations the LEDs were all individually controlled.

The next step was to transplant the lighting system into some adult trainers. I bought some cheap unbranded trainers to experiment with. When selecting these I made sure to choose trainers with lots of padding, to give myself somewhere to install the control module.

Name:	adult_trainers.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	6464

It was fairly easy to install the light system into one of the adult trainers. Using an awl I made three holes for the LEDs, wedged the control module into the padding, tucked all the wiring into place and then neatly finished it off using a fabric mending patch to hold everything in place.

I tested one - it fitted nicely and I couldn't feel the module or the wiring. The lights appeared to work well when I walked. Considering this to be a success I repeated the process for the other trainer. The final result:

Name:	lu_trainers_lq.jpg 
Views:	2245 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	6466

Name:	lu_trainers_sequence.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	6467

Awesome

One word: WHOA!

I would mug you if you walked down the street and sooo steal those shoes <3

If you could remember, is the light bulb blue or is that the camera? And if it is the bulb from looking at the wiring do you think it would be fairly easy to change the LEDs out with different ones? One more thing, in the new shoe is it still waterproof? Last thing anyone wants is a shock when they walk in the rain. =(

Sorry for all the questions, those shoes are just really cool to me <3

Quote Originally Posted by Jossilyn View Post
    One word: WHOA!

I would mug you if you walked down the street and sooo steal those shoes <3

If you could remember, is the light bulb blue or is that the camera? And if it is the bulb from looking at the wiring do you think it would be fairly easy to change the LEDs out with different ones? One more thing, in the new shoe is it still waterproof? Last thing anyone wants is a shock when they walk in the rain. =(

Sorry for all the questions, those shoes are just really cool to me <3
    The bulbs are blue LEDs and they are really, really bright. You could probably swap them if you're very good at soldering. I didn't really break any of the seals so no contacts are exposed. I doubt they'd get wet enough to break even in a major downpour and I can't imagine that a watch battery would give you much of a shock

Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    The bulbs are blue LEDs and they are really, really bright. You could probably swap them if you're very good at soldering. I didn't really break any of the seals so no contacts are exposed. I doubt they'd get wet enough to break even in a major downpour and I can't imagine that a watch battery would give you much of a shock

Thanks for the feedback
    If you do break the seals you could easily close it again with heat-shrink tubing.

Wow, do want! I'm definitely adding this to my to-do list.

Just been out for a walk in these now it's dark outside. People seem to like them

Quote Originally Posted by billythemountain View Post
    Nice work. Looks good too.
    Thanks - you can't even tell they're modified on the inside/outside anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ssobolibats View Post
    Nice work. Might try something like that myself some day.

Quote Originally Posted by toysruskid View Post
    Wow, do want! I'm definitely adding this to my to-do list.
    Neat, I'm actually starting to consider doing this as a side-line now

I remember Watching Cops. I am guessing other countrys have the same type of show. But one show. Was this guy Running away from a crime. He had shoes that light up. That each time he had his foot down they would light up. The Cops Had a hard time Grabbing this guy. Not due to guy was running fast. But they where laughing so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    I remember Watching Cops. I am guessing other countrys have the same type of show. But one show. Was this guy Running away from a crime. He had shoes that light up. That each time he had his foot down they would light up. The Cops Had a hard time Grabbing this guy. Not due to guy was running fast. But they where laughing so hard.
    Heh, they're certainly not the most subtle footwear