Thread: Firefox help

Default Firefox help

(this the right place for this?)
    I mostly use Firefox as my web browser.
    Lately is been hanging, or doing mini freezes.

The screen goes to a transparent white, it says not responding then goes back to normal. My laptop doesn't freeze just Firefox.

Some sites are better than others, but it seems to be getting worse.
    I tried other browsers they work fine.

I did do virus check nothing was found. Any one have this problem or know
    a way to fix this?

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by StargazerBleu View Post
    Two things straight off the cuff. I recently downloaded two applications, they were Ghostery and Realplayer.

Realplayer adds itself to the registry and by default updates itself at will whenever there is an available internet connection.

Ghostery is activated by opening your internet browser and it too will automatically update.

If your problem is something along these lines (even if it is not these specific programs) it should be easily seen in the task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del). I'd say, all that is happening here is your internet connection is being overpowered by something updating while you are browsing (could even be windows itself).

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    Two things straight off the cuff. I recently downloaded two applications, they were Ghostery and Realplayer.

Realplayer adds itself to the registry and by default updates itself at will whenever there is an available internet connection.

Ghostery is activated by opening your internet browser and it too will automatically update.

If your problem is something along these lines (even if it is not these specific programs) it should be easily seen in the task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del). I'd say, all that is happening here is your internet connection is being overpowered by something updating while you are browsing (could even be windows itself).
    I have windows updates for permission needed. I have done the task manager thing to see if there was anything before. Nothing is or was updating. Firefox does this hanging stuff the moment I launch it and goes on constantly. I can only get one click before it does the mini freeze.

It did not used to do this. The freeze last 5-15 seconds.
    I had updates going before it used to work fine. Other browsers work just fine.

acorn

You need to check the task manager while the firefox freeze is in operation, as the time before or after the freeze is of no consequence.

You could disable all browser add-ons and bring them back individually to see if there is one going rogue. Do you have an e-mail adviser that warns you of new mail? I still suspect something is intermittingly running in the background and by that I don’t mean a virus.

Check also that all browser add-ons are compatible with your current browser version. Is the version of firefox you are running the latest proven reliable release designed for your operating system? Do not make the mistake of running the latest browser release as it may still have bugs.

I've had similar problems in the past, due to things like FireFox being a memory hog, then running flash which is even more of a memory hog eats up your memory, which will cause it to lock up shortly. You can try running it in safe mode, just hold down the shift key while clicking the icon for firefox. It should come up with a dialog box. Select disable all add-ons, then click the continue in safe mode button. After this see if you still have a problem. If not it could just be a problem with one of your extensions. The other thing I recommend is watching the ram usage in task manager whenever firefox freezes, just keep the task manager window open.

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by teslacoil4148 View Post

Task manager showed nothing running and memory and cpu usage barely changed during these times.

Never knew about running in safe mode. Thanks.
    Of all things it was my Ad blocker plus causing all the problems.
    I had that add on for a couple years too. Strange that was the problem, and
    I hope that all it was.

Browsed around some with multiple tabs going and running.
    Well so far it been good so far. Hope that all it was.

Thanks for help guys :3

acorn

Thanks for help guys :3
    That's what we are here for, to do your thinking for you, so you don't have to think for yourself.

My bad.

Yea firefox, as much as I love it, does use a lot of memory and cpu, especially when combined with add ons, flash, java, and complex web pages with a lot of media (pictures,videos,music,etc.) Disabling add-ons may help, but other then that, there's not much you can do as far as I know