Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Default Grammar

I may be the only one, but it really bothers me how many of ADISC's members have horrible grammar. I'm not talking about capitalization, punctuation, and spelling; what really bugs me is that people don't seem to be able to put words into the correct order.

I can't (and don't want) to point out examples, but, to me, it seems to be concentrated in one local: the USA. I'm not saying that all americans are bad for this, just that the majority of people who do this are from the US.

PS. this is more of a rant then anything, but feed back or a simple "here, here" would be nice so I don't feel like the only one who's bothered by this.

C'mon, we aren't THAT terrible at putting words together to make a sentence.
    But yeah I agree, some people here aren't all that great at putting their thoughts into words that make sense together...and I partially agree...it's mostly us

---
    - Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The aforementioned stuff and some colloquialisms like "y'all" bother me a lot as well.

*gulp* that's a big word @_@
    That kinda bugs me too, I agree

---
    - Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'm going to put two responses here, one in purple, and one in black(/any other default font colour):

I agree that it can sometimes be annoying having to almost translate a post, and I have noticed it seems to be Americans more than others - maybe the UK's illiterate youths are more prone to gang violence as opposed to bad typing on the internet?

Remember: at ADISC we do NOT discriminate against people for any reason, and that includes learning difficulties. We know that a lot of people on here have them - you can see that by the sheer number of threads talking about them. Try to keep this thread sensible and NICE.

I just figured there were a lot of non-native-speaking members based in the US. At least, when I think about it that way, it doesn't bother me. I work for a global corporation and receive more mail from non-native speakers each day than I do from native speakers. It's gotten to where I'm more amused than bothered by some of the odd things they'll do, such as replacing all instances of "you" with "u", or "to"/"too" with "2", even though the remainder of the email is overflowing with large words and technical jargon--as if saving a few characters on "you" and "too" is worthwhile! I suppose they're just bad habits gotten from learning English, in part, by sending lots of text messages.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: You'll get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlew View Post
    I may be the only one, but it really bothers me how many of ADISC's members have horrible grammar. I'm not talking about capitalization, punctuation, and spelling; what really bugs me is that people don't seem to be able to put words into the correct order.

I can't (and don't want) to point out examples, but, to me, it seems to be concentrated in one local: the USA. I'm not saying that all americans are bad for this, just that the majority of people who do this are from the US.

PS. this is more of a rant then anything, but feed back or a simple "here, here" would be nice so I don't feel like the only one who's bothered by this.
    At first I was going to jump this one with claws and teeth, but since you said it's not everyone, I'll play nice.

In regards to what you're observing, my best bet for explaining it, is when learning the English language in schools took a backseat to...how shall I say...trivial objectives eg computer literacy and sports programs (that in and of itself is a rant for another day.) Which isn't surprising when seeing younger members doing this, because they haven't been properly educated.

As an example, back when I was in school, the only computer stuff I needed to learn was how to type and send a basic email; that was it. At the core of the schools curriculum were math, history, English/reading, physical education and an elective - usually arts or foreign languages. Then again I graduated over 8 years ago so I'd hate to see what elementary-and or-middle school age kids are learning today.

And yes, I'm talking about the American school system here...

The aforementioned stuff and some colloquialisms like "y'all" bother me a lot as well.
    From my understanding of this one, "y'all" is a conjunction of "you" and "all" as a shorter way of saying "you group of people." Make sense? If I remember my word history right, y'all started out as a southern expression, and over the years - and with the evolution of content on the internet - it became something of a catchphrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    I'm going to put two responses here, one in purple, and one in black(/any other default font colour):

I agree that it can sometimes be annoying having to almost translate a post, and I have noticed it seems to be Americans more than others - maybe the UK's illiterate youths are more prone to gang violence as opposed to bad typing on the internet?

Remember: at ADISC we do NOT discriminate against people for any reason, and that includes learning difficulties. We know that a lot of people on here have them - you can see that by the sheer number of threads talking about them. Try to keep this thread sensible and NICE.
    In response to this one - mainly the second point - I do understand that often times, there are persons with difficulties. Personally I don't mind if that is the case because I know it's not directly their fault. And as long as the attempt is made, that's all I could really ask for.

"Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear him, hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker. It is often incorrectly spelled "here here"."

Just saying. =P

My biggest annoyance grammar wise is apostrophe misuse, and mixing up their/there/they're and your/you're etc.

Saying that, I don't think that my grammar is excellent, and I really do not know a lot of theory about grammar/semantics/syntax or anything else like that.

You're going to see a lot of people with "horrible" grammar on the internet. It's just something you're going to have to get used to. Like some stated above, there is also the possibility of the individual having a learning disability. For example, a friend of mine, and fellow ADISC resident, is dyslexic. Can you blame him for mixing up a few words every now and then?

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
    You're going to see a lot of people with "horrible" grammar on the internet. It's just something you're going to have to get used to. Like some stated above, there is also the possibility of the individual having a learning disability.
    This is so true, but forget about the rest, for it is a red herring.

Now is the time to point the finger. The biggest culprit in all these shenanigans is the forum software. It thinks it is smarter than us mere mortals and enjoys playing havoc with our posts by auto correcting. You preview a post with paragraphs, then when it is submitted it ends up as one block of text. Then more often than not we cannot edit our posts after they are submitted. We have taken a step backwards with the new software version. Iíve a mind to put a price on its head.