Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this racist? (contains racial slur)

Default Is this racist? (contains racial slur)

First off, I want to start of by saying I don't think I'm racist. I'm white and I have black friends and get annoyed when I see bigotry (unless it's on The Chappelle Show or something). Also if you have never listened to the radio station I'm about to mention, don't bother posting.

So anyway, there's a radio station on Sirius Radio called Shade 45. I don't know the specific channel, but I can find out if you're too lazy to look it up. Any way they have gaps between the songs where the DJs talk (like a normal radio station). Anyway, my friends and I (who are white) call it "N#gga Talk" or the "N#gga Hour" while it's the DJs talking. My friends and I absolutely love Shade 45 and the DJs on it. We merely call it this because it identifies it and we mean no disrespect by it. So are we being ignorant or are times changing.

I realize this issue is extremely controversial and it probably violates some rules, but this is a legitimate concern I have. So with that in mind, the mods can either remove it otherwise leave good responses. I don't want to hear how me and my friends are idiots. I would want to hear why you think that, but don't let this turn into a shouting match.

my beliefs on this are very simple and straightforward.

if you don't intend it to be racist, then it shouldn't be taken as such.

edit: this is just me- i'm not trying to set a societal standard or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by whatshisface View Post
    First off, I want to start of by saying I don't think I'm racist. I'm white and I have black friends and get annoyed when I see bigotry (unless it's on The Chappelle Show or something).
    Just because your friends with someone outside your own skin tone does not mean your can't possibly be racist. I'm friends with a black guy and a few hispanic guys and a jew and i'm christian and a geek, anti-social. Normally we make racist jokes with each other a few times, we've all admit were racist.
    Being racist IS bad, not admitting to being racist is worse IMHO.

Anyways your calling it nigger hour since you assume the DJ's are black because it's a hip-hop, rap, whatever station. (I listen to alt rock, classic vinyl or 60's on 6.) So, how exactly is that not racist on some level? True your not trying to track the person down and light a cross on fire in front of their home. But thinking that using the term nigger isn't racist to me just makes people look foolish at best.

Also if your going to ask is it racist if a black person uses nigger? YES it is, it also makes them look like a freaking idiot.

Racist? No. Offensive? Possibly. Depending on whom you say it around, you might get decked. This is the sort of thing that should remain an inside joke, because someone isn't in on it might get the wrong idea.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Racist? No. Offensive? Possibly. Depending on whom you say it around, you might get decked. This is the sort of thing that should remain an inside joke, because someone isn't in on it might get the wrong idea.
    Exactly what I was thinking. If your intentions aren't racist, and you're just going with the flow, I guess it's okay. However, it's usually only blacks/African Americans who can use the term without impunity because they know what it is to be black, to know that there are still bigots out there who would hurt them just because they are black. For that very reason, they have earned the right. They have to live with the obstacles which are part of being black. If you don't know what they are, can't feel the pain, don't use the word. You haven't earned it.

I don't think a word can be racist, only the way it's used.

^^
    I Would say no to rascism, just because in my opinion "nigger" is not synonymous with "black"

People take waay to much offense over "racism" these days anyway.

And if its in your group of friends then it really doesnt matter. Just dont say it outloud in front of the wrong people.

Technically racism is the belief that someone is better/worse/not allowed/etc. at something because of their race.

That said, I completely agree with what slim said.

I also want to mention we don't walk around yelling this too each other or anything. But if we're on the road and it's just us or we're with people we know well, we might say it.

---------- Post added at 01:12 ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 ----------

I do agree with the we're all racist thing (not what it literally means of course, but the principal), but I didn't want to start of by saying, I think we're all racist, but you know, we're not really racist. I actually took this line out, but honestly, if I didn't know anyone else and I were the only white person in a room, I would probably be a little uncomfortable compared to if I were in a room full of white people. I'm not saying I'd be scared or anything or even be thinking anything else about who I saw, I'm just trying to be honest. I'm pretty shy as well, so I'm usually uncomfortable if I'm alone at any function.

---------- Post added at 01:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 ----------

I feel that a lot of racism comes from the power given to it. I'm only saying this because I really had 0 idea that "black" can be considered racist up until less than a few years ago and I still don't and probably never will fully understand why it can be and I think if everyone felt this way it would be better off. Although I know others feel differently and try to be polite about it. The "other" word has history behind it so I realize that it's different, but the power is still being ascribed to it none the less.

---------- Post added at 01:48 ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 ----------

I feel the same way, that if it isn't used in a manner to offend, then it's not necessarily okay, but it can be tolerable in certain instances. It's true we assumed there was someone who was black who was involved, but there is and besides when we say it, it's meant to be a private moment between me and my friends and we say it to identify it, at this point, that's just what it is to us as an entity(like a tire is a tire, an apple is an apple). If someone happens to over hear us then what can I say, I'm sorry, but we didn't say it for them to hear and I don't think it's asking too much to let it go and not get all worked up over it, plus if you have no idea what a conversation is centered around, you can't really judge it based on a word which would show a slight arrogance based on your part. i don't have to deal with racism first hand and it hasn't affected my family (to my knowledge)so that I'm sure would also affect how I feel about it, so I'm not saying if you get offended your not an arrogant prick, but there is a little truth to what I said.

I'm really surprised at how well this thread is doing. I feel really racist by just posting this thread and trying to validate this, and it's a good point that this is definitely offensive (at least to some)even if it isn't necessarily racist. Anyway, I hate how racism is an issue and that I need to even post a thread about something like this and it's causing so much weird feelings literally right now as I'm typing all these words. I would rather have us choose to just not let it have this affect. I would rather not need to have a need for you to read this and either agree or disagree with it. I know this is easier said than done. Also keep in mind this is putting things very simply.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    If your intentions aren't racist, and you're just going with the flow, I guess it's okay.
    Wouldn't the same logic mean that it's ok to yell faggot at a player on your least-favorite sports team so long as you're trying to convey general disdain and are not reflecting on their sexuality?