Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adisc Wi-fi Question

Default Adisc Wi-fi Question

I have no idea where to put this question

Mods please feel free to move this question into the appropriate thread topic if possible

My question is, would it be risky if I went on adisc on my school's free wi-fi network? Please let me know, because I rather use my laptop then my cell phone

Please let me know

Thanks

Well, since it is the schools network, they have the complete right to monitor computer activity. Although I don't see why they'd make a big deal of ADISC, the site can still be accessed (however, it's rare that they would have to unless it endangered the network or went against your school's policy). It just depends on what you feel.

If its your laptop, they wouldn't know it was you and the worst that could happen is it gets blocked.

I really wna go o my laptop, but I'm nervous I may get in trouble, or caught which is far from what I want

I think the only way you would get caught is if someone saw you. Unless the techs know that the ip address is for your computer you won't get caught and local ip addresses change all the time, they would have to see who was connected and what everyone's ip address was and even then they most likely wouldn't be able to pinpoint your physical computer. They have bigger things to worry about with out worrying about one person getting on a forum and then tracking them down, and they would just see it was a forum and leave it at that.

Anyway if you do get asked you could always say it was research for psychology or something.
    Last edited by StikkyPaws; 29-Oct-2011 at 22:27. Reason: Grammer :/

I guess your right, I am just very paranoif about this, just seems creepy lol

Quote Originally Posted by TKing1391 View Post
    I guess your right, I am just very paranoif about this, just seems creepy lol
    I get a bit paranoid about stuff like this as well, you could always try to find a proxy (that hasn't been blocked) and use that, it will at least hide it a bit.

What exactly is a proxy??

P.s.--sorry im computer illiterate lol

Quote Originally Posted by TKing1391 View Post
    What exactly is a proxy??

P.s.--sorry im computer illiterate lol
    It's like inception XD, it's basically a connection inside a connection, with you Internet connection you connect to a server that has an Internet connection, when you view a page the data comes from that server via its Internet connection. So if something is blocked on your Internet connection it won't be on the proxy server. So you can view blocked content and it also hides the true ip address of the page you are viewing (which is why you would want it).

They come in two flavors (sorta), website form, which is what you will want and a VPN form (which is more advanced but allows for your whole computer to access the proxy server, but they are usually not free).

If you didn't understand that then just start googling "proxy server" or "proxy unblocker" and experience one for your self.

Using ADISC is not a violation of my university network's TOS (as far as I know) so I use it. I know for a fact that my uni could know that I was going on ADISC from their network if they bothered to check (since you need to authenticate to use their wi-fi) but I can't honestly say that I care too much.