Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paypal / prepaid visa

Default Paypal / prepaid visa

I finally decided that I feel like trying out bambinos so I was trying to figure out what could be used to purchase things from their website. I have a few prepaid visa cards from past AB/DL purchases however from what I can tell Bambinos doesn't accept that method of payment in a similar way to how XP-Medical did.

When looking into getting a paypal account it appeared to me that all the paypal sites were down. Can anyone confirm this or suggest why I am getting this error?

Finally I was wondering if I can get a paypal account can I transfer the funds from the prepaid visas to that account?

Thanks.

Paypal seems fine here.. would be huge news if it was actually down (even for an hour)..

What error do you get?

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Paypal seems fine here.. would be huge news if it was actually down (even for an hour)..

What error do you get?
    Thats what I thought so I was very confused with this error message.

This webpage is not available
    The webpage at https://www.paypal.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    Error 205 (net::ERR_CERT_UNABLE_TO_CHECK_REVOCATION): Unknown error.
    Flushed my DNS among a few other things and it didn't help the issue. Am I trying to use the wrong website?

Aside from usual stuff like clearing browser cache, can't think of anything...

That's a fairly unusual error to get at home (I'm assuming this is at home). You don't go through a proxy or anything do you?

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Aside from usual stuff like clearing browser cache, can't think of anything...

That's a fairly unusual error to get at home (I'm assuming this is at home). You don't go through a proxy or anything do you?
    Ran into the same issue at my home but I am currently at my school. Might try a different computer at my home and see if it works better.

Between Paypal and prepaid cards, both have advantages and disadvantages.

The cards cost a bit more. You have to pay 3-6 dollars just for the card and they aren't re-loadable. However, they allow for a massive amount of plausible deniability, because even though they keep a record of where you make purchases, the second you shred the card, they're gone.

Paypal on the other paw is easy to buy with, it remembers the address you enter so all you have to do is log in and click buy, and it costs very, very little. There's some minimal fees. The con of this is that, there is a permanent record of where you make purchases. If for whatever reason you're forced (extortion, or threats to be kicked out of the house by a parent) to show someone this record they can find where you've done business at any point in the past.

You can't transfer funds from a card into your Paypal balance, but you can use the card in tandem with the account... The only question is... Why would you want to? You get the disadvantages of both and the advantages of neither.

Paypal Stinks! They will take money out of your bank account in a heart beat without your consent. I have been burned by them and ebay 2 times this year. Last time they were able to do it because I had given them my ATM card number from another transaction, so they used it to take money out of my account NEVER AGAIN! I should have learned the first time!

Well my transaction went through, apparently I was just doing something really stupid. Now I need to burn off the last few dollars left on these cards. Must be the worst part of prepaid visas when you can no longer use them to order things online.

Locke

Quote Originally Posted by Gary99 View Post
    Paypal Stinks! They will take money out of your bank account in a heart beat without your consent. I have been burned by them and ebay 2 times this year. Last time they were able to do it because I had given them my ATM card number from another transaction, so they used it to take money out of my account NEVER AGAIN! I should have learned the first time!
    I have a very hard time believing this. I will believe that you did something which caused illegitimate fees to be placed on your account, and you did not want that. I will also believe that Ebay screwed you over, because that is a site made up of a bunch of un-qualified people. However, Paypal isn't to blame if somebody on Ebay steals from you, and Paypal will not just withdraw money from your account unless you actually owe them money for some reason.

Sorry you don't believe me. Maybe you'll find out personally someday....

Anyway, Paypal and Ebay are the same company. They did a little legal corporation game to split the two up. So they are entirely separate entities in legal terms. But its just the same corporate games. They call it layering. You see, the more financially sophisticated you get, the more layers of corporations you use to prevent people for suing you or getting money from you. Ebay and Paypal work together a symbiotic relationship.