Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EPA 2016 Standards

Default EPA 2016 Standards

As some of you might know, the Government has passed a law saying that by 2016, all car companys must have a company average of 37.8 (or 38.8, cant exactly remember) MPG highway.

What do think about it?

While the intentions of using less Oil, and reducing our dependence on it is a Good thing, I think that passing a law to require certain standards is not the way to go about getting this change.

I think that it would make much more sense to place a much higher tax on gas, causing people to want to buy more fuel friendly cars. Once the market is there, Car companys will start to make these cars. You get the same effect of having fuel efficient cars, but with a tax, it would be more natural for the economy. At the same time this could help generate money to put back into the roads and infrastructure. Obviously this tax would not happen overnight, but gradually increased over years.

In addition, these regulations are seriously going to hit the high proformace market, if not destroy it. With a tax we could keep this market, and if you want a car like that, you can have it, just be willing to really open your pockets.

Discuss, hate, state your opinion...etc

i like that law, i think the price of gasoline should be capped and that all cars after a certain date should have to meet such standards.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonKiba View Post
    i like that law, i think the price of gasoline should be capped and that all cars after a certain date should have to meet such standards.
    You understand that capping gas prices would only hurt the US economy right? It is a case of supply and demand, if you fiddle with that you will affect the entire economy. Not just the price of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post
    You understand that capping gas prices would only hurt the US economy right?
    honestly no, i don't know much about the economy and government but i know gas goes up it gets harder and harder to make a living :/

honestly no, i don't know much about the economy and government but i know gas goes up it gets harder and harder to make a living :/
    It boils down to the fact no company would be willing to do business under an economic model where they are forced to sell at a certain price, regardless of how high demand goes. Oil is a resource that is in immense demand in markets like China and India, where there will never be enough to satisfy them. Why would you sell a gallon of gas for a max price of $3.00/gallon when you can ship it overseas and sell it for $6.00/gallon.

A price ceiling is a disaster, and we know this for a fact because it was tried in the early 1970s during the OPEC oil embargo. The result was massive queuing at the pump and a bunch of gas stations finding ways to force people to buy X amount of stuff from the convenience store in order to effectively raise the price to true market rates.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post
    It boils down to the fact no company would be willing to do business under an economic model where they are forced to sell at a certain price, regardless of how high demand goes. Oil is a resource that is in immense demand in markets like China and India, where there will never be enough to satisfy them. Why would you sell a gallon of gas for a max price of $3.00/gallon when you can ship it overseas and sell it for $6.00/gallon.
    true i guess

but i know gas goes up it gets harder and harder to make a living :/
    That would be why people would want more fuel efficient cars.

If gas is twice as much but the car uses half as much, then it doesnt really matter for you does it?
    However using less gas would mean less oil shipped over (those tankers are terrible for pollution) and less to refine (again, terrible for pollution)
    So the only one really been hurt here would be the oil companys, and lets be honest they have exploited so many people for so long, They would deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    That would be why people would want more fuel efficient cars.

If gas is twice as much but the car uses half as much, then it doesnt really matter for you does it?
    However using less gas would mean less oil shipped over (those tankers are terrible for pollution) and less to refine (again, terrible for pollution)
    So the only one really been hurt here would be the oil companys, and lets be honest they have exploited so many people for so long, They would deserve it.

ya but not every one can afford a new car, i can only think of a very few people i know that could actually go out and buy a new car.

34.1 for 2016.

Personally, I feel that our current system is rather broken, in a number of ways.

1) CAFE is a bad standard. I appreciate the environmental and national security and other arguments for using less fuel, and I agree that using less fuel and creating less emissions are good things, but CAFE is not the way to do it. Under CAFE, all of a car company's cars have to hit the average, and all of the trucks/SUVs have to hit a second average. Although people are more interested in fuel economy now, in the '90s and early 2000s, car companies were forced to make small cars that no one wanted and were losing them money, all in the name of CAFE. I can't give specifics because of confidentiality issues, but I know that one of the American car companies, in 2004 (the best year for truck and SUV sales ever), was losing $700 every time they sold a [small car model], but they could not discontinue that model because of CAFE. It also prevents companies from making large or high-performance models because, again, they have to be mindful of CAFE. Let's remember that the big Lincolns of the '70s didn't go away because of bad sales. Even during the height of the gas crisis of the '70s, big huge Lincoln Continentals with 460 cubic inch V8 engines that were good for about 10 miles per gallon sold better than even the suicide door models of the '60s. Ford couldn't make the big Lincolns meet the emissions and CAFE standards that had been enacted, so they had to stop making the big Lincolns instead.

It also benefits companies that don't make a full line of products, like Hyundai. Ever notice that Hyundai claims to have the best mileage of any car maker? It's because they don't have bigger cars or crossovers or SUVs dragging down their numbers. A better way would be to regulate based on vehicle class, rather than just by "car".

2) Our highway maintenance is funded by the gas tax. Well, more appropriately, approximately 50 percent of our highway maintenance is funded by the gas tax, which is why the roads are all falling to shit. This is one of many instances where fuel-efficient cars are actually hurting us. Because cars are using less fuel, there is less money available for highway maintenance.

3) Higher fuel mileage is also hurting us because it encourages people to drive more. This has the double disadvantage of encouraging suburban sprawl and discouraging transit use, because it's cheaper to drive.

4) I have mixed feelings about raising the gas tax. On one hand, I would love to jack the thing sky high. Doing so would dramatically discourage auto use while encouraging transit development and use, a market for high-mileage cars, as well as discouraging sprawl. But, as electric cars come onto the scene as do higher efficiency conventionally-fueled cars, the gas tax becomes increasingly less relevant. Also, raising the gas tax would have much stronger and more negative effects on poor and working class people than it would on higher classes. On the other side, though, I don't see any way we could implement a pay-by-mileage scheme without a) bumping into constitutional privacy concerns and b) bumping into massive opposition from the public at large, including myself, since I don't want anyone tracking my driving any more than anyone else does.

All that said, I struggle with what a better solution would look like. Given that we could never implement a pay-by-mileage system in the U.S. directly, perhaps the way is through the back-door of drastic expansion of toll roads. I dunno.