Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gets you hooked on a book/show/game/etc.?

Default What gets you hooked on a book/show/game/etc.?

The mods can move it if in wrong place

Being stuck in this hospital bed with nothing to do before my next surgery, i've grown very curious about something. What turns you on (to stories I mean). Wether your watching a movie or tv, playing a game, reading a comic book, manga, or just a plain old regular book. Whatsoever the thing that guets you hooked to the point you want to continue to the very end.

I guess it must be either deeply surrealistic or deeply realistic in nature. There must also be intense emotion within the storyline. Good examples could be The Village, 13 Ghosts, Pan's Labyrinth, Never Ending Story, For Colored Girls, The Color Purple, Steel Magnolias etc. (Yes, I watch a lot of chic flicks)

Lol, I just realized tai and I are on opposite ends of the state.

Several things I suppose. I like scary stories and so what I read or watch should have me on edge. I love Fringe, Warehouse 13, Haven, Criminal Minds and shows like that. One of the best novels I've read in awhile was "Let the Right One In", a great vampire story. The stories have to relate on several levels, not just scary. There needs to be the human element. Great stories tell us who we are as humans, and this happens between the action.

I love "Death in the Family" which isn't scary, but is beautifully written. I especially enjoy reading literature that the writer has taken time to make the lines flow, using imagery, making connections that I wouldn't have thought or made. I like stories that are clever, and go to unexpected places.

Quote Originally Posted by tai View Post
    The mods can move it if in wrong place

Being stuck in this hospital bed with nothing to do before my next surgery, i've grown very curious about something. What turns you on (to stories I mean). Wether your watching a movie or tv, playing a game, reading a comic book, manga, or just a plain old regular book. Whatsoever the thing that guets you hooked to the point you want to continue to the very end.
    A story related to my fantasy or interest. My fantasy is me and a nice girl on a cold winter's night near a fire watching a movie. We're both in thick cloth or disposables and in footed sleepers. We're relaxed and having a good time.

If it's not my fantasy then it's my interests. Almost always i will prefer a story on loving parents and acceptance to this subject than humiliation and punishment. Once in a while i enjoy a punishment story on diapers but that's been getting more and more uncommon.

If it has any of these, and good english skills, i'll more than likely read on.

One prime story is "Jessica" over at abdlstoriesforum. It's under the "finished stories" and is about 24 full length chapters in length from an average sized book. Great read, to bad some late chapters got lost, but it still had an ending. Lots of love and acceptance, great english, and great plot.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Several things I suppose. I like scary stories and so what I read or watch should have me on edge. I love Fringe, Warehouse 13, Haven, Criminal Minds and shows like that. One of the best novels I've read in awhile was "Let the Right One In", a great vampire story. The stories have to relate on several levels, not just scary. There needs to be the human element. Great stories tell us who we are as humans, and this happens between the action.

I love "Death in the Family" which isn't scary, but is beautifully written. I especially enjoy reading literature that the writer has taken time to make the lines flow, using imagery, making connections that I wouldn't have thought or made. I like stories that are clever, and go to unexpected places.
    you've made me rethink about how thing can be precieved just by how we view things. with human actions things can change how a person reacts to the story

Supersam1223

If it makes me think, I'll read it. I like a complex plot, with many different characters to follow, I want to have to read what isn't written on the page, I don't want it all laid out in front of me. I like it if It includes character thoughts, as well as the dialogue. I like books that develop slowly, describing each situation in detail.

I read pretty fast, so if the book is long (700-1500 pages) it's a bonus.

Unpredictability I never read the same thing twice no matter how many times different people give it different names and minute and unrelated differences The story should be able to confuse me fake me out and take me all sorts of mental and emotional directions If I can guess the entire story half way threw there's no point in reading (or watching) on

Must be either very unique, or very well done or a combination of both. Some unique alike I love, gankutsuo, rurouni kenshin, full metal alchemist. Games I love madworld, no more heroes and mass effect to name a few. Wo yeah just generally different unique stuff.

Sent from my Android!!!