Thread: NAT problems...everything's been tried. A cry to fellow gamers!

Default NAT problems...everything's been tried. A cry to fellow gamers!

Hello fellow gamers I'm experiencing NAT problems with my Netopia Router. Now I know, most people will say something like "just open the ports" or "turn on upnp." Here's the thing, I've tried both and for some reason enabling upnp on this router BLOCKS my xboxlive connection instead of passing it through the firewall. I need some serious help here as even my experience with routers and NAT types (and I've got a lot of experience) isn't enough to help fix my problem.

I also have a linksys router that i've tried attatching to the netopia modem/router but it gives me local network only with no internet connection. Any advice on either situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much-SEFawx

I seem to remember doing this for a friend.. so I'm going from memory.. but there is an "Expert Mode" which has "advanced" nat settings and I seem to remember an actual "XBOX live gaming" option that could be enabled (you'd also want to leave upnp enabled.. probably).

Also it's a junk router.. would recommend swapping it for the linksys one if it's any good. Connecting the two routers won't do much for you unless you either configure it as a nested network or disable routing features and effectively turn it into a switch.. in either case it won't solve anything.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

Quick google based on what I said turned up this: Xbox Live connection issues with Eircom and Netopia |Xbox 360 Problems - Xbox 360 Help, Ultimate Solutions for your Xbox 360 problems
    Last edited by BoundCoder; 22-Oct-2011 at 02:24. Reason: embarassing typo

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I seem to remember doing this for a friend.. so I'm going from memory.. but there is an "Expert Mode" which has "advanced" nat settings and I seem to remember an actual "XBOX live gaming" option that could be enabled (you'd also want to leave upnp enabled.. probably).

Also it's a junk router.. would recommend swapping it for the linksys one if it's any good. Connecting the to routers won't do much for you unless you either configure it as a nested network or disable routing features and effectively turn it into a switch.. in either case it won't solve anything.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

Quick google based on what I said turned up this: Xbox Live connection issues with Eircom and Netopia |Xbox 360 Problems - Xbox 360 Help, Ultimate Solutions for your Xbox 360 problems

I thank you for your help but I've already done all of that and even read the exact same article lol. thank you for trying though i appreciate it.

Sorry to check the basics, but I need to work out what you have already tried.
    Have you:
    - Assigned a static IP with correct gateway, dns and subnet?
    - Checked that the Xbox can get any internet access? (It should be able to load pages without any router side config. Im sure there is a 'tester' somewhere.)
    - Forwarded the following ports to the static IP you set for your xbox:

• Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)

- Checked your NAT mode? (Is it set to strict, for example?)
    - Tried removing all port forwarding rules, then setting the static IP for your xbox into your routers DMZ mode option?

If you have done these and it still dosen't work, you may have some sort of ISP level NAT which could be blocking the ports necessary.

Sorry to bring back a somewhat dead thread but I wanted to update. I finally got the linksys working properly and managed to get an open NAT with it. I'm very happy with this now! Welp I'm off to go play COD :P