Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some tail critique

Default Looking for some tail critique

Hey everyone! I've been getting into making yarn tails since august or so. I have a few pics up on my FA of some that I made (I'll have a few more up soon) and I was hoping for some critique based off of the pictures. They can be found at my FA or Deviantart both usernames are TheChalupaKing -Thanks much, SEFawx

Cygnus

From the two pictures my iPod decided to download they looked like pretty good tails. However, you said "yarn tails." That throws me off because, frankly, I have no idea what you're talking about. The two pick I saw were for Chelsea's birthday fox tail. FA has been having some problems lately, and I don't know if these are the pics you wanted me to see. I guess I could go on DA, but I'm too lazy. I better stop typing before I ramble for too much longer. Good job on the tails.
    -Tom

good looking overall, though you might try hiding the keyring under the fur.
    i do that, but i also use a carabiner to hook the tail onto your belt/beltloop/etc.

also, in the pictures, they look a little...idk, lopsided towards the bottom? if you're using a braided yarn base then it shouldn't be doing that normally. if you're using a stuffed sock-type base, then i guess its okay, but i don't have any experience with those.
    you could try just shaking it vigorously and then brushing it out again using a fine stiff(ish) bristle brush. it makes it look all shiny and soft and stuff.

if you take a look at my FA gallery you can see what i mean about the lopsided thing. (click on the ZAK sigpic)

good luck

edit: @thomashuskymuffin
    when you knot a few strands of yarn together and then brush it out, it separates the individual fibers so that it looks like really fine hair. then you sew the knots to a base of some kind. that's why it looks so soft etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHuskyMuffin View Post
    From the two pictures my iPod decided to download they looked like pretty good tails. However, you said "yarn tails." That throws me off because, frankly, I have no idea what you're talking about. The two pick I saw were for Chelsea's birthday fox tail. FA has been having some problems lately, and I don't know if these are the pics you wanted me to see. I guess I could go on DA, but I'm too lazy. I better stop typing before I ramble for too much longer. Good job on the tails.
    -Tom
    Yarn Tails are tails made entirely of yarn, you brush the yarn until it is smooth and silky looking, it gives the tail a much more realistic sway when you walk. They are super time consuming to make, because you have to brush each individual piece

Cygnus

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    Yarn Tails are tails made entirely of yarn, you brush the yarn until it is smooth and silky looking, it gives the tail a much more realistic sway when you walk. They are super time consuming to make, because you have to brush each individual piece
    Artists. Doing more work than necessary because it looks freaking sweet since 5000 BC.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHuskyMuffin View Post
    Artists. Doing more work than necessary because it looks freaking sweet since 5000 BC.
    I actually laughed for ages at this. :3 It's true really though.

Thank you for the critique guys! I understand what you mean by lopsided, the white yarn tends to puff a lot more than the others for some reason. I'll start working on improving more because I intend to make this into a way to make money on commissions I'll let you know when I have more pics up of the other tails. Also I didn't hid the ring because my shirts come down below my pants an hide it will enough, same with my friend who I made the tail for

Quote Originally Posted by SEFawx View Post
    Thank you for the critique guys! I understand what you mean by lopsided, the white yarn tends to puff a lot more than the others for some reason. I'll start working on improving more because I intend to make this into a way to make money on commissions I'll let you know when I have more pics up of the other tails. Also I didn't hid the ring because my shirts come down below my pants an hide it will enough, same with my friend who I made the tail for
    really? that's weird that the yarn does that. if you're using the same brand of yarn for all of the fur (i use a cheaper, stronger walmart brand for the base) then that shouldn't really be happening. :\
    anyway, i think i might feel a trade coming in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    really? that's weird that the yarn does that. if you're using the same brand of yarn for all of the fur (i use a cheaper, stronger walmart brand for the base) then that shouldn't really be happening. :\
    anyway, i think i might feel a trade coming in the future!
    Haha I'm up for a trade anytime! I use the red heart yarn and from my experience their yarn can be somewhat inconsistent when it comes to the tightness of the yarn and such. My current project is an Umbreon tail, can't wait to have that done!

Quote Originally Posted by SEFawx View Post
    Haha I'm up for a trade anytime! I use the red heart yarn and from my experience their yarn can be somewhat inconsistent when it comes to the tightness of the yarn and such. My current project is an Umbreon tail, can't wait to have that done!
    that definitely explains it. red heart is kind of... blegh.
    if there's a hobby lobby anywhere near you, you should pick up a skein of the 'i love this yarn' yarn. it's about a dollar more on average, but the difference is AMAZING.
    (if there isn't one near you, you can go Here to get it online- there's also a much larger selection.}